Templars are Wussy

Started by witchman, April 15, 2003, 05:18:55 AM

I know this has been discussed a million times over but Jenred's post on the Templar Academy got me to thinking (again) on how much softer todays templars are than those of yorn.  (Is yorn a word, *ponder*)

Anyway, I miss the days I would sit bolt upright at my computer whenever a templar stepped into the room.  I remember sweating whenever one paid particular attention to me.

I swear, if I ever get to play a templar I'm going to be one of the meanest SOBs out there - if only just out of respect of those who came before.

I understand that there is alot of political roleplay now, but it would still be nice to see a templar grab a commoner and use him as a target for on-the-fly archery tourney between a few noble friends and choice templarate.  :-)
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Yore. The word is "yore".

Templar meanness isn't necessarily a good thing; the psycho templar concept has been thoroughly overdone. Worst of all is the twink psycho templar who will randomly hurt people for not bowing when they walk into the room, ignoring factors such as room size and population density.

Templars are corrupt and ruthless. This does not make them into murderous lunatics. The templar who takes gory revenge on those who cross him - and only those who cross him - is a far more realistic figure than the templar who kills or mutilates every commoner who crosses his path. I suspect that the evolution in templars over time is likely down to patient staff guidance away from the petty, murderous tyrant mentality.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Templars are wussy?

Tell that to my last two characters, heh. ;)

I think the current setting on the templar-brutality dial is about right (as regards actually KILLING PCs), but I confess I wouldn't mind seeing or recieving a few more whippings, arbitrary jailings and so on.  These things are generally good RP, imho...

Bleh being in Allanak, I've recieved plenty of whippings, had my chars killed numerous times by the templars and even had a chance to face off in the arena at the whim of a templar. I think their harshness level is just right.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I think if people worked more on their reactions to the templarate, perhaps the templars would be more feared.  A templar could be the crulest thing on earth... but unless people reacted to it no one would pay much attention.

Reguardless of reasons if people act like they are afraid of the templarate... the templarate will come across as something to be feared.  Fear is only 1% based on what is known... 99% is based on the unknown and unsure.  If people start to pass rummors... if unexplained deaths and disapperences are said to be because of the templarate... if people suddenly treat workers of the templarate a bit more high (dont want to piss off the wrong people) ... if people start to bow slightly lower than they would to a noble... THAT is what will make the templarate feared.

My char. has had little -painful/bad- experences personally with the templarate.  But that doesent stop him from becomming very tense whenever a templarate enters a room.  His image of the templarate is based more in his own fear, than what they actually do to him/others personally.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

After thinking about it, I think that maybe templar meanness is alright (thought more jail time and fines are always good), but that I play less criminal type characters.  *ponder*
I'm going to have to think about this.
Oh, and on the "yorn" thing - it was a joke - I read it in some cheesy pulp-fiction book. Heh.
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Quote from: "witchman"I swear, if I ever get to play a templar I'm going to be one of the meanest SOBs out there - if only just out of respect of those who came before.

And I promise I'll be right there waiting to cut you down like wheat the second you're out of range of your NPC guards.  :mrgreen:
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "witchman"I swear, if I ever get to play a templar I'm going to be one of the meanest SOBs out there - if only just out of respect of those who came before.

And I'll be there to help her.  Not that she needs it.  I mean... uhh... yeah.  Callisto scares me.
Back from a long retirement

Thank you!   :twisted:   I've played the mean assed templars of yore, and the deeply sentimental Allanaki templars who like to torture and maim of today.  Love them all.

I really like the way this thread is going, so I figured I'd actually voice my two 'sid.  Templars of the past would kill on sight, maim and beat elves without much provocation, and possibly even press-gang militia during wartimes.  Over time, the Allanaki templarate seems to have slipped a velvet glove over their iron fist, but since I've lost so many characters to these "nicer" templars, I think it's just gone a bit more undercover.

The current templars are, imo, a great mix of blatant force, subtelty, and the fulcrum of Allanaki society.  I personally believe that they all do a good job of both keeping the populace in line, and concealing their true scariness when it is necessary.  I know there are at least 2 out there that my character does -not- want to encounter again.  :wink:

Lord Templar Hard Nose carefully watches the lanky, lank-like elf cleaning himself.

Lord Templar Hard Nose thinks:  "Clean elf?  He must be up to something!"

Lord Templar Hard Nose gives the massive, half-giant soldier an order.

New poster/player, so bear with me.

I created my first character a few weeks ago.  He was a pickpocket who somehow escaped the 'rinth and ended up floating around Tuluk looking for trouble.  He had a deathwish and didn't know enough about templars to be afraid of them.

I was walking around and attempted to steal some coins from a templar.  He shouted "Theif!" and I ran off.  No one caught me that time.

Well, my char got thrown in jail two or three times, and kept getting out somehow.  A templar interrogating my char told me to call him "Faithful Lord", which I did, but then called him "Faithless" and "Unfaithful  Lord", and he still let me go with no problems.

Another time, I saw the same templar from earlier and attempted to steal some coins from him again.  He spotted me again, and the guard quickly came and threw me in jail.  I got out again, and stumbled across this templar a third time.  I smirked and said hello, sarcastically (told you this kid had a deathwish).

The templar sprinted away without saying a word!  I laughed and followed him, he kept running!

Now I'm new to this world, but do templars normally run from filthy pickpocket beggar boys?  Didn't seem right to me, but it sure was funny.

Sorry if the post was rambling, hopefully you can see my point.  Was this my fault for not treating the templars with their proper respect, or was I RPing my char fine and I just happen to run across some really wimpy templars?

Sounds to me like the templar you kept trying to steal from wasn't even a PC. If you failed a steal attempt and immediately he shouted "Thief! Thief!" then is was most definitely an NPC. Meaning there was no player behind him. There was probably some sort of script for him to run in whatever direction it was and he didn't respond by having you killed slowly and painfully because, sadly enough, he didn't -really- see you. I just think its a shame there was no immortal watching you act like this, who felt like making your Armageddon experience a bit more real. It would have ended with you being a whole lot more dead, to be sure.

Right.  I never thought he was a PC, i just wondered how strange it was for the NPC templar to run from me on sight.

Plus, I had a GREAT experience in jail with a guard and templar.  Completely sucked me into Armageddon.  That particular templar was fantastic (although he let me throw in a few subtle insults without repurcussion).

Just wondered how they coded NPC templars to react, and if they could beef em up a bit.  But I'm new, so not familiar with how things work yet.

Its possible this was a bug (and if its not, perhaps it should be fixed anyway). Perhaps you should bug it, or send a note to the mud account? Doing so will make it much more likely that NPC Templars might act in a more realistic fasion in the future.
Tlaloc
Legend

But in the mean time let's spam steal from those scardy pants Templars  :twisted:

NOTE: I'm joking :P

Yes...start spam stealing from the Templars.

Really, we're not paying attention to the scardy-cat Templars now. Not at all. You can make a positive mint off of them.

Heh...heh...heh....

*Oils up the torture tables*
Tlaloc
Legend

Come to Allanak, where the templars love to have people attempt to steal from them.  Those elf-fingers make great gifts and wall ornaments, and the meat from the rest of the body is excellent ratlon food.

-Shinigami, Arm of the Dragon Storyteller
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

Then there's the templars that might seperate a male thief from his sexual organs to keep him from breeding.

The beak-nosed, arrogant templar (handing the shifty-eyed elf thief a pair of testicles) says in sirihish, "There you go. You may keep them as a souvenir of our meeting. They've been carefully roasted, so you may also eat them, if you are hungry."

Wouldn't I make a nasty templar?  :twisted:
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate: