Author Topic: Idle complaints about today  (Read 2286844 times)

Jihelu

Re: Idle complaints about today
« Reply #29375 on: October 28, 2021, 10:09:03 AM »
I'm starting to get a little annoyed with how many books aren't standalone anymore, at least in the fantasy genre.

I don't want to read 3+ books.

I want 1.

Please.

Barsook

« Reply #29376 on: October 28, 2021, 05:52:04 PM »
I agree or the other way, less trilogies but more sagas.

Also, Android 12's UX is gross.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #29377 on: October 28, 2021, 06:57:58 PM »
A minimally-edited (one voice actor, no SFX) 2-3 hour audio drama shouldn't cost the same amount of Bezos Bucks as a 35 hour audio adaptation of a lengthy novel. Looking at you, Martha Wells.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #29378 on: October 28, 2021, 07:46:45 PM »
I'm starting to get a little annoyed with how many books aren't standalone anymore, at least in the fantasy genre.

https://www.amazon.com/Spinning-Silver-Novel-Naomi-Novik-ebook/dp/B077WXP3KG/

https://www.amazon.com/Uprooted-Naomi-Novik-ebook/dp/B00KUQIU7O/

(Same author, not a series.)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Dar

« Reply #29379 on: October 28, 2021, 08:15:50 PM »
More and more I feel like I live to work instead of work to live, and each weekend I need so much time to catch my breath from the work week. It ruins my weekends.

I want a different job.

I know this feeling. By the time I'm decompressed on Sunday, it's time to start dreading the following morning. When the pandemic hit my job went from being wonderful to sitting at home in the same room I fall asleep in every night fielding calls for 8 hours a day from people facing issues with the unemployment system. I don't work for the unemployment office and prior to COVID I would field maybe 3-5 unemployment cases per year. During the worst early days of the pandemic, I was receiving upwards of 300 per day.

I know I'm lucky to have stable employment through the pandemic, even more so for it to be employment where I can stay safe and away from the public.

But damn. 8 months in to it I broke and it got to me. You can only hear so many people sobbing about how they're going to be evicted in 48 hours if their unemployment check doesn't come through before it adds up to too much. We had three staff juggling upwards of 1000 cases per week and basically had to learn the intricacies of state and federal unemployment law from scratch while trying to unfuck the complete failure of an agency that is the state's UI office.

We would get (and still do) get folks threatening violence, self harm, etc. There's an unemployment office downstairs and because they're a high risk target, we've been advised to put butcher paper over the windows and not wear anything that identifies us as state employees.

At the same time, we remain the only state employees who are legally prohibited from unionizing, and all the legislators that very happily tweet about thanking unions on Labor Day, and send mailers about how their opponents hate unions? Sure enough, they didn't even bring the bill to give us that right to a vote this year, despite nearly a third of the legislature co-sponsoring it.

Bosses should NEVER have the authority to decide if their employees have the legal right to unionize.

rant over ty sorry

Damn.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #29380 on: October 29, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
Two of my kids have the Rona. Ugh. My daughter, 17, has to miss volleyball playoffs. They have a solid chance at the state championship, too. She is devastated.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Wday

« Reply #29381 on: October 31, 2021, 07:44:57 PM »
My cats stopped up on my truck. Had to cut them out and straight pipe the exhaust then had a flat! And somehow between all that got th timing off a bit..FML
Well that almost worked.

triste

« Reply #29382 on: November 03, 2021, 04:54:25 PM »
The only type of guy to get with me are either (a) emotionally vacant sociopath (b) clingy loser who calls me 4 times a day

THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN. this is why I mostly ignore Y chromosomed peeps.

Stop calling me, Josh.

The good news is parthenogenesis was discovered in another species recently! Whatever species I am is next, move over virgin mary.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #29383 on: November 03, 2021, 08:32:12 PM »
Now in indeterminate quarantine after the intern that sits next to my desk left the office this morning feeling unwell and tested positive for COVID-19 an hour later.

It was at that point that I learned that despite the fact that we were told all employees are required to self-administer antigen tests twice a week, those tests are only issued to permanent salaried employees, so our interns and temp staff who are in the office in close proximity every day... are not testing?...because being an intern evidently.... provides special immunity?......................

Fast forward five hours (they waited five hours to notify us) I get a call from the nursing unit informing me that I am suspected of having the highest exposure risk due to proximity, have been immediately placed on medical leave, and should go home to self-administer an antigen test. I pointed out that antigen tests are not a reliable way to determine risk given that only positive antigen results are reliably accurate (a negative is effectively meaningless at determining if you have COVID or not) and that we should probably be doing PCR testing but was advised that "this is still being discussed."

They wrap up the call by telling me that none of us are authorized to work remotely at this time, at which point my supervisor informs me that I am absolutely expected to work remotely at this time.

Do I piss off my boss or violate state law? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

MeTekillot

« Reply #29384 on: November 03, 2021, 08:33:34 PM »
Document your boss telling you to violate state law and violate it. Not as if the law actually steps in in most cases.
Cons: Someone's gonna fill animal holes, likely day 1.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #29385 on: November 03, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »
Put the resume out, man. Nobody needs that.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #29386 on: November 04, 2021, 12:19:03 AM »
Working on it. Got to some late stage interviews but no dice. I haven't finished my degree but I'm in a position where I was competing with JDs and grad students for the job I have now so I get considered right up to a point by potential employers.

MeTekillot

« Reply #29387 on: November 04, 2021, 12:29:53 AM »
I ran out of my fancy skincare products and won't have more for a fair bit of time.

Jihelu

« Reply #29388 on: November 08, 2021, 12:59:34 PM »
I have done nothing but puke/poo poo the entire day I feel fucking awful.

Halcyon

« Reply #29389 on: November 08, 2021, 03:00:32 PM »
A good friend of mine has had two heart attacks this last week at 38 years of age.   Genetics, smoking and stress in combination.  He's okay so far, spending his third night in the hospital under observation.

Gather ye rosebuds.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

triste

« Reply #29390 on: November 10, 2021, 10:33:12 AM »
Sorry for the heart attacks, puke and poo poo in the prior posts.

My shallow gripe: as companies like Amazon continue to do crap like offer me jobs without needing to interview,  all I gotta say is I wish it were legal* to work for multiple FAANG companies.

It's legal for me to have multiple gfs, why not multiple high paying jobs. Guess I'll just stick it out w the main job and the crappy side jobs. Then again, that's kind of my experience with polyamory too, you got ur main and ur snaccs.

* if I ever mentioned working for the F and the G at the same time that was but an illusion, I am a legal, upstanding boi, plus writing code for F isn't work, it's more like piling more crap on a massive pile of crap some toddlers assembled, it's fun in a courting disaster kind of way.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

Jihelu

« Reply #29391 on: November 10, 2021, 10:35:16 AM »

My shallow gripe: as companies like Amazon continue to do crap like offer me jobs without needing to interview,  all I gotta say is I wish it were legal* to work for multiple FAANG companies.

It's legal for me to have multiple gfs, why not multiple high paying jobs. Guess I'll just stick it out w the main job and the crappy side jobs. Then again, that's kind of my experience with polyamory too, you got ur main and ur snaccs.

* if I ever mentioned working for the F and the G at the same time that was but an illusion, I am a legal, upstanding boi, plus writing code for F isn't work, it's more like piling more crap on a massive pile of crap some toddlers assembled, it's fun in a courting disaster kind of way.

I read a pretty fun post on Reddit about something doing some analysist work for two different companies remotely, the kind of shit where you work for around 10 hours a week and get your '40' hour work week that way. Both pulling in like 80-100k.

triste

« Reply #29392 on: November 10, 2021, 10:37:23 AM »

I read a pretty fun post on Reddit about something doing some analysist work for two different companies remotely, the kind of shit where you work for around 10 hours a week and get your '40' hour work week that way. Both pulling in like 80-100k.

It's an easy life to live but a shitty and illegal thing to do. Also 100k isn't much, last time I *cough* maybe *cough* did this, both jobs paid 200k each.

Right, glad I am more than an analyst / average reddit poster.

Jihelu

« Reply #29393 on: November 10, 2021, 10:39:55 AM »
I don't think it's illegal? It'll get your ass fired for sure but I don't think there's any law that says you can't do this.

I can also think they might be able to sue you for a variety of possible civil reasons.

That being said, I could be wrong. 90% of my knowledge is constitutional law. No one knows what the fuck is going on in Federal law and I don't respect State law (This is a meme) so it could be in the books somewhere.

triste

« Reply #29394 on: November 10, 2021, 10:45:27 AM »
Correct it's just contractural non-compete agreements.

I guess what I am really complaining about is that I am in love with my boss at Google (she's Caucasian Shion Uzuki down to being a lesbian) and I want to be loyal to the company for being less shitty than the other FAANGs and that feels so unwise when Amazon, Microsoft and Facebook have been emailing 1-3 times a week w insane offers like "remote job software engineering, we know you and because you got an offer previously there is no need to interview." I'll get over the temptation. Just had a weird in the trenches convo with said hot boss yesterday like "are you staying here for the long haul?" and we are.

Jihelu

« Reply #29395 on: November 10, 2021, 10:49:44 AM »
Correct it's just contractural non-compete agreements.

I guess what I am really complaining about is that I am in love with my boss at Google (she's Caucasian Shion Uzuki down to being a lesbian) and I want to be loyal to the company for being less shitty than the other FAANGs and that feels so unwise when Amazon, Microsoft and Facebook have been emailing 1-3 times a week w insane offers like "remote job software engineering, we know you and because you got an offer previously there is no need to interview." I'll get over the temptation. Just had a weird in the trenches convo with said hot boss yesterday like "are you staying here for the long haul?" and we are.
Most of the big 3 are pretty notoriously shitty, though the more 'computer' side of things tends to be a lot better than people who get stuck pushing boxes. If you get decent benefits, are trying to fuck your boss, and think your company isn't going to go bankrupt in 5 years I'd probably just deal with it.

Honestly changing jobs is a fucking hassle and a half. Gotta get used to things, new people that could be dicks.

MeTekillot

« Reply #29396 on: November 10, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »
I'm having difficulty finding constructive outlets for my frustration lately, and am being frequently faced with frustration.

Barsook

« Reply #29397 on: November 12, 2021, 07:10:12 PM »
I'm not clicking with my new co-worker.

I'm having difficulty finding constructive outlets for my frustration lately, and am being frequently faced with frustration.

Try to mindfully mediate?

Or maybe take a good hike when the weather is nice. I know you are 30 minutes north of the best hiking in KY.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 07:13:19 PM by Barsook »
Fredd-

MeTekillot

« Reply #29398 on: November 13, 2021, 01:09:52 AM »
I do meditate frequently. but thank you for reminding me to do so. It's reassuring when other people suggest the strategies that I work to employ; it makes me feel like they're a little more valid.

My emotions inform me. They do not control me

Barsook

« Reply #29399 on: November 13, 2021, 08:35:55 AM »
Good, good. Awareness seems to be best med, at least in my mind. And it's free!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:39:21 AM by Barsook »
Fredd-