Tattooist skill

Started by witchman, April 12, 2003, 10:53:43 PM

I'm wondering if this has been discussed at all - a tattooist subguild that would allow you to add a desc to a body part.

Good idea?  Bad Idea?
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

What would happen if you failed?

You destroy the short-haired man in your attempt to craft  :shock:

Okay, seriously it's a good idea. And if you did fail then perhaps some mess could get left on someone's arm that they'd have to wash off or would just fade in time?

I think I batted this idea about with someone. Or mentioned it or something mentioned it. I REALLY like the idea. Perhaps have it like other crafting. Again I'd rather have it being open, but I don't see how it could be done besides like the bard subclass and YOU decide how good you are and such. I don't know.

If it is like the craft code each tattoo could have a few different sdescs dependant on rather you fail and such. But thats the only way I can see how it would be done, it'd be hard to have everyone make new tattoos all the time and such. If you want your own personal tattoos can always submit them and such. Yeah. Hmm... Thats all.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Last time I heard this discussed, it was like a craft.
The list of what you could tattoo was drawn on the Imm's Tattoo List type thing, like tattoos available in a data-base, then they vary in complexity and intracy, allowing you to tattoo things in your relative skill area. Also depending on what you have.  Ink-wise or whatever, if it wasnt an entirely virtual based thing..

It would work like:

tattoo self (ink/needle/whatever)>
You could tattoo a blahblahlbah.

Then when you'd fail itd just be like a poorly tattooed so and so.
Maybe some flaws in the depiction.

Look Man's tattoo

This tatto is actually a pair of squigly lines. It look like... well, two lines. that are squigly.

OR

tattoo arm into A fierce looking dragon tattoo

You begin crafting

you ineptly tattoo your arm to pieces  :(
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Sounds like it would be a pretty risky job, then. After the tattooist screwed up your arm you'd screw up his face. :shock:

Do npcs have chances of failure or messups, too?

Tattooists would be easy to identify, anyhow, from all the squigly lines they've tattooed on themselves when training.

Hell, maybe one could earn some 'sid if one volunteered as a practice object.

.. This will be weird.

I think it should be combined with a new artistry skill, where you can paint elaborate pictures and sell them, or tattoo people.  Maybe even sculpting and other art forms can be in it, too.

I think leaving the description (and sdesc) of the tattoo and or "picture" should be open ended to allow for complete custom tattoos.

Why would you visit my character and pay 100 coins for a kank tattoo that is virtually the same as the kank tattoo that you can give for 10 coins the next stall over?

However, I could write up a bunch of tattoos, or draw what you would like me to and just add them with the skill.

Also, I'm thinking that the skill shouldn't really fail, (since it would be too easy to mess up other characters) but should be rped as developed over time - like playing a musical instrument.

Tying it into general artistry skills is an interesting idea.
Perhaps taking artist subguild nets you "playing instruments" "singing" "dancing" "painting" "tattooing" skills as well as a subset of the brew skill that will allow you to make inks and dyes?
*ponder*
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

You have to be an artist before you can be a tattoo artist; if you can't draw a kank you won't be able to draw a kank on skin.  So if it was a no fail skill, it should be a skill that branches off of another artsy skill.  That way you may ruin dozens, or hundreds, of scrolls and parchements before you branch tatooing, but you won't ruin skin.

On the other hand, making it a no fail skill isn't really necesary.  It is possible to cover a tattoo with another tattoo in the same location.  If you get a blotchy mess instead of that dragon you wanted, wait a few months and try again.  You could even give vivaduans (for healing) or nilazi (for obliterating) magickers a spell to remove tattoos (and possibly scars as well).

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Good ideas all, Angela, I think your suggestions on branching and additional spells for removing tattoos would be cool.

However, I would like to point out if you visit your local biker bar you will see that artistic skill is not a necessary prerequisite for tattooists.
:-D
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Quote from: "witchman"
However, I would like to point out if you visit your local biker bar you will see that artistic skill is not a necessary prerequisite for tattooists.
:-D

Yeah, I'll get right on that.  I'm sure my pasty, geeky self would fit right in.   :P  

Actually, I'm not sure we even have biker bars here on Vancouver Island.  I mean, it's an island, there just isn't that much biking to be done.  We do, however, have several places where you can go for high tea; it's a very strange island.

If it were a regular crafting skill, where you could only do crude, primitive tattoos to begin with then artistic talent would not be necessary because you would be developing your talent as you advanced your tatooist skill.  But if you can any kind of tattoo right off the bat, then it makes sense that you should have some talent since you would be able to do detailed, skillful tatoos from day one.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

An island?  *jealous*

Anyway, how about doing only crude tattoos at first but when you finally max your skill you are allowed open-ended tattoos?
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Only one problem. If you allow opened ended things... Where should it be stopped at? I'm all in hand of giving open ended things so people can make what they want without the trouble... But then why can't you do that with weapon making, or tailoring, woodworking or stonecrafting? Where would the line be drawn? An honestly would it be fair to make artistic works be able to skip through being submitted by immortals, while if anyone that wants to even add in a small design into their obsidian shortsword you are working on... they have to submit the item.

I think keeping one standard and sticking with it is better off. And over all, how the current craft system works would have alot less troubles then a part-coded, part-open craft system, and certainly much less then a completely open system.

In terms of artistic abilities an room for artistic design making weapons or armour is still right up there with drawing/painting and anything else.

Creeper
21sters Unite!