Beep command

Started by Troicha, November 20, 2007, 12:51:51 PM

Just a quick note. Don't be afraid to use it.

Hehe.  It startles the hell out of me, though, when I'm idling in a tavern and someone gets beeped.  That sound is very strongly associated with death in my mind.

Totally, Moe. That is why I love the beep command. Even when it's me beeping someone else, it STILL scares me. And I have a sekret wish that it makes the other player wet themselves.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Scares me also. I'll be replying to this board then I hear it, I scream "oh Shit!" And go back to the game... Then sigh because I didn't actually die. close call a few times.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

One thing to be aware of about the beep command is that it contains a small bug.  When you "beep someone" everyone else in the room sees it, too.

-- X

Actually, I just went and fixed that bug, so after the next reboot, you can ignore my previous post.

-- X

We thought that was a feature.  :cry:
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Well, if you want to beep the whole room, just "beep".

-- X

Really, whole room or target now? WOOT!
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It's always been like that; you can currently just "beep" and beep everyone in the room, and you can currently beep a target.  I've just fixed it so that if you beep a target, the emote and beeps are only seen by the recipient and the sender.

-- X

Quote from: "Xygax"Well, if you want to beep the whole room, just "beep".

-- X

you are giving me nasty ideas
some of my posts are serious stuff

I kind of liked it the way it was before. That way if someone was lagging out, you wouldn't end up with every other person in the room beeping them.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Ghost"
Quote from: "Xygax"Well, if you want to beep the whole room, just "beep".

-- X

you are giving me nasty ideas

emote crumples to the ground.
beep

Yes, I know its always been that you could target and everybody heard it.
I'm just happy target now does not beep everybody. If being the target of a beep makes people panic its worse when you hear it and scramble out of posting on the GDB only to find out not only are you not dead, but they were beeping Amos not your beloved Malik.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"I kind of liked it the way it was before. That way if someone was lagging out, you wouldn't end up with every other person in the room beeping them.

Can you explain this in more detail?  What is it that would happen now that didn't happen before?

-- X

I think he's saying that noone would know anyone else beeped the person now, and so now the person lagging out will be beeped more than preveiously.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Who cares if they're beeped more than once?

I swear, I think some of you guys stay up at night with a legal pad, thinking of things to bitch about.

Haha, yeah.

One time I was sitting at a table in a popular tavern talking to another character. He stopped responding for like 3-4 minutes so I beeped him. He went ooc to berate me as if I had twinked out on him or something.

I'd find it a little obnoxious unless it was for something important.  Not that I'd bitch about it, I mean, it's hard to care that much. Really hard.

I mean I could be having a way conversation and spamming think, and I probably don't need to spill beer in my keyboard because you got restless.  Generally if I'm being ignored I'll either wait or my character will move on and do something else.  

That said, if someone's afk and a gortok just entered from the north...
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

If you're going to stop responding to an active conversation for several minutes, I think the least you can do is throw out one of the common "I'm being Wayed/going AFK briefly/lost in thought" emotes. Rub your temples, save yourself from the beep of doom.

Agreed entirely.
I just don't see the point of using BEEP unless it's fairly important either.  

I guess I'm waffling. Am I waffling? I don't know... maybe.
It's almost like it's just not a big deal huh?

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

You mean to imply that this issue is not worth several pages of discussion?!

I wouldn't dare!  8)

Quote from: "Greve"If you're going to stop responding to an active conversation for several minutes, I think the least you can do is throw out one of the common "I'm being Wayed/going AFK briefly/lost in thought" emotes. Rub your temples, save yourself from the beep of doom.

Quote from: "a strange shadow"
Quote from: "Greve"If you're going to stop responding to an active conversation for several minutes, I think the least you can do is throw out one of the common "I'm being Wayed/going AFK briefly/lost in thought" emotes. Rub your temples, save yourself from the beep of doom.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870