Speaking of Faith Burma-tuluk

Started by Barzalene, November 03, 2007, 04:13:16 PM

Listening to NPR today, there was a discussion on a program where a woman discusses religions, faiths, ethics and so forth with various guest. Often far more interesting than you might expect. Today's topic was Burma, and how the government there is, for lack of better phrasing, embracing huddhism. I suppose for a time they were marginalizing religion, but now soldiers making donations at the temples is televised daily.

They talked for a while about how foreigners remark on how happy and serene the people seem.

Later as they discussed why the people didn't rise up against their government, a woman talked about how the presence of atrocities and the way people often disappear has a huge impact on the way people comport themselves.

And on that note, I reflected some on Tuluk. I thought it was odd that in many ways there are parallels and similarities between Burma and Arm's North.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."