Where can I go?

Started by Dakkon Black, April 09, 2003, 09:37:55 PM

Going along with the whole moisture deal. Dune for example had a near 100% water turnaround ratio with the skin suits. However here on arm well, where do people piss? And since it never rains how does that moisture get cycled back into the Tek's pool of water?
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Heh... You don't know the secret raining location eh? It probably rains somewhere, sucked by the desert and comes back to Tek's pool in underground channels. But that somewhere maybe really away from civilization. That's the problem.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Tek's underground pool? You are a truly misguided citizen. The water comes from good old Tek himself. The water is produced in the Temple by the White Robed Templars. Directly channeling their power through the mighty Tek.

Bah! Your ALL wrong. Our Lordship the Great Muk Utep provides us with the water of lif.....*gets beaten up by a group of nakkies* thanks. I nearly lost my mind there for a moment.  :shock:

[EDIT]: Seriously though. The nighttime sometimes does become cold according to "weather" so would the water became dew then?

Quote from: "Dakkon Black"Going along with the whole moisture deal. Dune for example had a near 100% water turnaround ratio with the skin suits. However here on arm well, where do people piss? And since it never rains how does that moisture get cycled back into the Tek's pool of water?

Where do people piss?  Wherever they can.  The street, a latrine, on the dunes, wherever they can.  Zalanthians simply don't have the technology to recycle urine.  As far as moisture, it can be assumed that there is at least some moisture in the air.  It might be very little, but there is a little something.  It is just that that little something is never enough to form rain.  A plant might be able to suck a little out of the air.

As far as where Tek gets his water, that is anyone's guess.  There could be an underground lake right under Allanak for all I know.  Tek could be somehow making the stuff through it powers.  Your guess is as good as mine.   I imagine where all that water comes from is something you would have to find out IC, and something that very few people know the answer to.

I think the bigger question isn't where the water comes from, but where it goes.  Water clerics are supposedly summoning water from the elemental plane of water, and I don't think the elemental plane of water is anywhere on the planet.  Unless water is being permanently burned off or bound somewhere, shouldn't the total amount of water in the world be increasing?  Shouldn't the area around the the fountain in Tek's temple and the water elementalists temple (and any other fountains in the city) be becoming steadily more humid?  The walls around the city are, what, 50 cords high with only a few openings?  That effectively creates an artificial valley around the city, with the potential to trap a degree of moisture and air pollution inside.  Any heavier than air polutants will tend to collect in the bowl formed by the walls, even with the high winds outside the city.

A certain amount of liquid drains into the sewers, but then what?  Unless those sewers drain back into the elemental plane of water, that moisture is still in the system.  Damned spam casting water clerics are going to drown us all!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I think the bigger question isn't where the water comes from, but where it goes.  Water clerics are supposedly summoning water from the elemental plane of water, and I don't think the elemental plane of water is anywhere on the planet.  Unless water is being permanently burned off or bound somewhere, shouldn't the total amount of water in the world be increasing?  Shouldn't the area around the the fountain in Tek's temple and the water elementalists temple (and any other fountains in the city) be becoming steadily more humid?  The walls around the city are, what, 50 cords high with only a few openings?  That effectively creates an artificial valley around the city, with the potential to trap a degree of moisture and air pollution inside.  Any heavier than air polutants will tend to collect in the bowl formed by the walls, even with the high winds outside the city.

A certain amount of liquid drains into the sewers, but then what?  Unless those sewers drain back into the elemental plane of water, that moisture is still in the system.  Damned spam casting water clerics are going to drown us all!

AC

I doubt that much water is collected in the air or ground naturally from elementalist activities.  Sure, those walls might be high, but I imagine it only takes on good sandstorm to clear out any moisture that might be lingering in the air.  The wind that blasts the streets is coming from somewhere, and it sure as hell is not the city.  That means the air is turning over very quickly.  Further, if the temperature can hit up to 140, that water is going to want to go straight up, not hang around.  That water in turn is going to be spread out across an entire planet.  The Known World is a very small place in the grand scheme of thing.  That little moisture is going to be spread far and wide until it is very dispersed.

Besides, the workings of Vivaduans are likely counteracted by the workings of Nilazians and defilers.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

AC, I was wondering that too, which was why I said in another thread that in all likelihood the water evaporated does not come back to Zalanthas through rain or dew. It comes back through magic. That's just a far off conjecture, but you raise a good point with the water elementalists.

Okay. I didn't want to have to say this. But I've been around to the other side of Zalanthas. It's completely flooded. Magickers are constantly destroying the water to try to keep the floods at bay.

My own personal theory that Ive been propagating from an OOC standpoint to explain the water system is this: (It might not make since, but hey... better then "I dont know, I dont care")

Regardless of how many people have seen them in game, there are clouds, clouds much like real world, maybe alot rarer _because_ the amount of water being evaporated is much less, but they are there. There are thunder storms, storms and lightning.

My guess is that these clouds, drift out of the known world, and off to some portion of the world that is still lush. There they rain down their sparse liquid, maybe even in the known world in just remote spots that are out of many _people's_ know worlds.

Then the water is absorbed and placed in underground rivers, and filtered back across Zalanthas. (Most of Zalanthas's natural water being underground forming... if not all of it).

anyways, I think its logical. Im not a weather buff, but I think water flowing from an outside place seems realistic. I mean alot of rivers travel hundreds of miles. and the salinas river in california for example is underground a good portion of the year in places... and almost crosses the entire state.

Anyways, thats my little theory, of course I could never think this ICly because thinking outside the scope of the known world would then by extension make it known, and then make the known world expand in knowingness. An ever-perpetuating paradox for my character...

I can definitely see the Dew angle of things, and that Zalanthas is perhaps an isolated world beyond which we can't venture.

There may also be a thin water table layer deep below ground.  And Oasis is actually a spot in the ground where the ground above the water table has been cleared over time by a natural process and water flows on the surface.

There may also be underground caverns of water, not man-made, but natural, like the one found in China.  This underground lake is so massive, aparently, that it may eliminate the need for China to continue tearing up the countryside for the sake of dams and man-made lakes for hydro power and water.

http://www.freep.com/news/nw/china10_20030210.htm

And even beyond all that, there will indeed be a good amount of water in the air.  There must be, or else life could not exist in the deserts, even though it does.  And at higher elevations, above the climate we see on Zalanthas, it's equally possible that there is a rising humidity level.

Ultimately, there has to be a massive water system somewhere in the Zalanthas world, though it may not exist in a coded room.

And maybe the greatest secret of Zalanthas is that there is tons of water just below the surface that could transform the deserts into a tropical wonder like the lands bordering the Nile in Egypt.

Actually, the gypsies channel all the water in the air to thier secret base, where they use it to power thier water slide.
I wish it hurt to be dumb.

None of y'all played Dark Sun for AD&D did you?

Well not saying that it has to be the same in this game as the game it was based off, but going back to what crymerci said, water is lost to defilers and void clerics in that setting, so I'm going off the assumption that it's pretty much the same here.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.