lame
1 (7.7%)
No opinion
0 (0%)
Rufus smells like cactus
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 07, 2007, 06:11:36 PM

Skill Forage                                                   (Perception)

This skill allows your character to attempt to find things in the area
that could be useful.

Currently rocks, stones, wood, salt, food, kindling, and artifacts  
are available arguments.  Your chance of finding anything is dependent
on the terrain.  

In the future, more things will be available to be foraged.

Syntax:
  forage rock(s)|stone(s)|wood|salt|artifact(s)|food|kindling

Note:
  What you may be able to find differs according to both your character's
skill level and guild.  For example, only rangers can forage for food.

Delay: before

In the future, more things will be available to be foraged.

This is something I've been waiting for, was thinking it'd be a really neat idea if in each area you could search for subsets, of course this would make the task much more difficult and you'd fail almost always but perhaps you could search only for items with the keywords you request, and if the area doesn't have any items for the keyword you request then you just won't ever succeed. So rather than forage 'wood' maybe you could do forage 'branch' to avoid getting twigs and reeds and vines. Instead of simply stone you could use forage 'obsidian' or forage 'shard' if your goal is to make some new arrowheads or something.

Thoughts?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I'm definitely hoping for an improved foraging system for 2.Arm.  There has been some discussion of it in the Reborn forum, but I don't think it is a topic we have beaten to death quite yet.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

A late idea but I thought I'd add it in. Perhaps make forage food not only availble to rangers but make it possible in certain locations for other classes well. For instance, places where a bush with fruits is located or a Japuaar tree is. Therefor if the tree or bush was empty you could forage the ground for ones that may have fallen from the plant.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

rufus smells like cactus, and Majikal has a torch that doubles as a waterskin.

Yeah, I've been wanting this idea for a long time.
I really hate spending a few hours just foraging for a certain stone, and I end up with a room full of

A bajillion pieces of worthless sandstone is here
A bajillion pieces of worthless jasper is here
Three pieces of some rock that you can't even pronounce rolls around the ground here.

In addition, I would like "forage all" where you look for anything and everything that might be there.  If you are a scavenger primarily looking for things to sell, you may be happy to find rocks, wood, artifacts, food, or anything else, and being able to look for everything at the same time would be cool.  Otherwise you have to forage for each type three or four times just to find out if there is anything available to be foraged in the room, and that sucks.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I hate being the token reply that just says "omg there was a thread on this already" but I can't stress enough how much I want Apoc Cow's forage changes implemented. It's a longish post so I won't quote it here, but here's a short thread detailing the ideas:

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=263515&highlight=#263515

In addition to his suggestions, I'd totally groove on a 'forage all' idea, too.

Or, perhaps for people with high enough forage skill, a 'forage check' that lets you get an idea of what types of items could be foraged in a certain room. Room descs are a good guideline for this, but sometimes the code doesn't back up what the room desc says. The most specific example I can think of is room descs that say there are numut vines and the like all over the place, yet you can't forage for vines because vines are a subset of 'forage wood' and the area is not full of wood.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "Fathi"think of is room descs that say there are numut vines and the like all over the place, yet you can't forage for vines because vines are a subset of 'forage wood' and the area is not full of wood.

Heh, here's my token "I agree with Fathi as usual" post.
Amor Fati