First Cool Experience In Arm

Started by Is Friday, October 01, 2007, 02:43:21 AM

Besides my stint as a gith PC, I think the thing that really hooked me was an event a few years back going after a Roc egg. The small group of us were a merry band under, Rin? I think it was. Quite the adventure.

I'd been playing about a week and had a 'rinthi.  I'd actually had a lot of fun slinking around in there and exploring but I studiously avoided RP'ing with anyone, even when I went southside a bit because I was afraid of not being able to do it properly and to the high standard of the RP I'd observed.

And then a character named Digger started talking to me.  And he said his organization might have some work for me. WHEE!  I was so excited.  And I thought this guy was so amazing!  I wanted to be able to play like that one day, giving such a graphic image of a character with every word and simple little gesture.

That PC of mine died not long after but I was hooked and the inspiration of that meeting carried on.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

My first character was some kind of young rogue in Allanak.

I had been the 'roleplay' immortal on another mud.

A player there 'dared' me to make a character on Armageddon.

A REAL roleplaying mud.

Upon entering the game (which then happened in Meleth's Circle), I walked straight into the Trader's Inn.

I sat down at a table.

An Oash was already sitting at this table.

The Oashi told me to get away from his table.

I was not invited.

I told him to fuck off.

He had his guard attack me.

I managed to escape.

Made my way to the Dirk, which was just outside the 'Rinth.

I decided to heal up in the back room.

I laid down and closed my eyes.

Someone emoted coming up behind me and slicing my throat.

I was backstabbed.

I died.

I instantly contacted the player who had 'dared' me to make a character and thanked him for providing me with the most intense RP I'd ever experienced on a mud.

I was such a fool.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Sujaal caught me running amok in the 'rinth.

After chastising me fiercely, he led me to Meleth's and stripped me of all my Byn gear. After a few more harsh words, he spit at me and told me to get away. I screamed at him that it wasn't over, not by a fucking long shot! AND I WOULD HAVE MY REVENGE!!!!!!!1 I spent the next three IRL days plotting my revenge on the Byn, quite openly with people in the Gaj, until someone professed their eagerness to help, led me back to their apartment, and promptly stuck a knife in me, I assume to gain favor with Sujaal.

-WP was in love.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Falling off the Shield Wall and stumbling around in wide-eyed horror, not knowing the Tablelands at all, and being terrified as my comrade killed a durrit.

Getting laughed at afterward.

... In fact, I still get laughed at for that.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "Medena"
And then a character named Digger started talking to me.  And he said his organization might have some work for me. WHEE!  I was so excited.  And I thought this guy was so amazing!  I wanted to be able to play like that one day, giving such a graphic image of a character with every word and simple little gesture.

Was also Digger who hooked me.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Err.. I crafted a set of shelves...

Seriously. I used to play deckers and similar -skills- people. Being actually able to do something without waiting for a GM for a few hours did really give me pleasure.

So it's coded and it's RP-enforced? I love it.
lease do feed the newbie.

With my very first character: Getting my tongue cut out, dragged into the street, blinded and publically executed for mouthing off to a templar in the Gaj.

I first started when Armageddon was karma-less and a hack n' slash mud so there's too many awesome stories from back then to be told.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

QuoteFalling off the Shield Wall and stumbling around in wide-eyed horror, not knowing the Tablelands at all, and being terrified as my comrade killed a durrit.

Getting laughed at afterward.

... In fact, I still get laughed at for that.

Snickers
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

My first experience with the game involved me typing the command <be bored> and cracking up for no reason over the echo. No, seriously, I laughed a good long while.

For me, it was my first character's "oh shit" situation. He followed one of his Bynner buddies to "have a talk with" and/or "rough up" a guy who screwed him in business. My wet-behind-the-sack Runner followed his buddy and their drunken target to an abandoned building. Things got way out of hand and the next minute my PC's friend told him to finish off the mortally wounded guy on the floor. RPing out that scene was really intense because it was my very first PK and my character's first kill, too.

Follow that immediately with a good-natured Byn bar brawl gone bad (I didn't understand the brawl code), and my character sprinting across 'Nak to the Byn compound, militia hot on his heels.

After all that, I was fucking hooked.

I wish I had known how to do logs back then...
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

How do you do logs??
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Most mud clients have some form of logging function.

For zMUD it's #log <log's name> to begin logging, and #log again to stop.

I use MUSHclient. That one has a button on the top bar for you to turn them on/off. I always turn it on when I start a session, and I throw a date and character name on it. The client takes the log down on a notepad and saves it to the logs folder in the program folder. Very simple, and it sure beat the crap out of all the little "remember this" notes I used to scrawl on any available bit of paper.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Sooooo many things that hooked me on this game!

One of my favorites was playing a half-elf in 'Nak, and getting pushed around and spat at while in the Gaj for being a filthy breed.  I spent my days hunting scrab (for some reason, scrab seemed easier to solo back then) and my evenings drinking and being harassed.  Then, one day, I had this guy walk up to me when I was sitting on a bench and tell me he'd been watching me, and that I'd make a good partner for this plan of his.  He was twitching and shaking and generally seemed like he had gone far too long without his fix.  So we staked out the Barrel and eventually tried to rob this Bard and her Guard/Companion at crossbow point.  She ended up jumping from the balcony after handing over her coin, and my partner and I headed for the gates when her friend started shouting about thieves.

We ended up in Red Storm and split the coin, then went out separate ways.  After a few days of spice hunting, I ended up being contacted by a recruiter for the Blackmoon and willingly signed up.  As I didn't have a kank, I ended up following on foot the whole way from Storm to the Blackmoon "fortress", where I was introduced to several other members.   The next time I logged in, I was invited to go hunting with a mul I'd met the week before and we took the lift down and headed out into the sands...

...where we met a mantis that ripped apart the mul and came after my character for dessert.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

My addiction experiences were so long ago I have trouble remembering names and details.

Before Karma, the 'karma' guilds/races were not the beefiness many have commented about (both positively and negatively) on the Forums since the Karma system was introduced (also so long ago I can barely remember it).

Back then, I played a mul.  My understanding of muls was not what it is today, but still, the spirit of the guidelines docs was available to us and I did try (and often fail) to play what I considered to be a realistic mul.

He met a more realistic mul in game.  That mul was a raider.  Someone feared and either hated or respected.  During the course of a single rp scene in a tavern, and another in the grey forest, my mul went from having the anger of one who lost a friend to this raider and his band and wanting to fight over it, to a profound shock at just how little he understood -why- this other was a raider.  Directly due to interaction with this other mul, my character began to understand why he himself was so angry inside and not only did his view of the raider go from one of anger and hatred to one of (at first grudging) respect, but in the end my guy joined the band of raiders.

Before his death, my character found in that band of wicked brothers, a home he had never known existed before.  It was a very interesting, life-changing experience for my character, and from then on out I knew there was no leaving this game.

It's the world that draws us in, but it is the characters we interact with and the situations they present to my own that keeps me coming back for more.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Not sure at which point this happened, but it was realizing that Arm is the only game I've ever played that has nearly unlimited depth, immersion, and unpredictability. I attribute it to Arm being around for over 10 years along with the enforced RP that the staff and players are committed to. I predict that one of these years someone will realize that, and will make the WoW killer of MMORPGs.
Amor Fati

Ten years ago: getting into RP back when we could actually see skill percentages.  The characters name was Kessira, and she was an assassin.

Then, years later, trying to charge down a gith with my 2 day Byn warrior as I got pelted by arrows.  Watching the emotes for about twenty minutes as the group tried to bring me back to life before giving me a "mercy" killing.

Thnk you, Akasha and Marook.

Oh, and my first RPT, shortly thereafter, when Luir's was invaded by Mantis.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Arm was the ONLY text based game I had ever played at this point. I was playing my second character, Fnord was the one who brought me to the game so mercifully he would drag me around the world with him. Anyway, one day we were in some tavern, I suspect in either Luirs or Red Storm because a mul came in. And Fnord's fearless, bad ass character all but pisses himself when this mul takes notice of him. It was the first time I had seen a fear in that character and it suddenly showed me just how real you could make your characters. I was actually nervous, and I had that heavy feeling in my chest like when you think someone is following you. His actions garnered a real, tangible emotion and that was what really showed me this game was deeper than I had imagined.

Edited for crap typos

That and the mud sex was fucking hot :twisted:

Quote from: "jstorrie"I fell down the well.

I also fell down the well.
Free your hate.

My first character also fell down the well.

Mine too. He had poor strength, exceptional agility, must accident prone person ever. Knocked out from falling probably 6 or 7 times. Even falling from rubble and things. Died of starvation in the sewers, wandering around in the dark, unable to climb out. Hmmm.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Back in 1997 when I was finally able to keep a character alive for more then 3 days. I had made a small circle of friends. We went to Allanak because there was some big celebration going out with free ale and other stuff in meleths circle. Some Templar was showing off his power and turned to a female that was with me and *POOF* she was gone. He laughed and everyone else laughed or did so out of fear. My char was contacted by the way and she was out in the tablelands somewhere. I gathered up some friends and we spent the next two hours looking for her and fighting through gith to get to her.