Sneaking and movemotes...

Started by Plazgoth, April 03, 2003, 05:35:08 PM

I am wondering what happens when you are sneaking and adding in a move-emote to your movement. Does that automatically make you fail the sneak? Does the emote happen only when you fail the sneak? Thanks

Pretty sure it makes you automatically fail the sneak. Which kinda sucks, because I'd like to be able to emote how I'm sneaking.. even if only those sharp-eyed enough to see me in the first place, would note it.

I've always wondered this as well.  I think it doesn't make or break the movement, its just invisible to those who wouldn't see your sneaking movement echo in the first place.

The hairy haired elf stealthily moves north, banging his scrab shell helmet with a stick.

I can see it now. :P

:lol: That's exactly what I had in mind :lol:

Well, I use movemotes when I'm sneaking all the time.  As far as I know, they never -forced- me to fail, but I'm not absolutely sure.  I'd lean towards it being alright to do without the risk of making you fail though.  So describe away on your sneaks.  Hopefully someone will clarify this for sure, because I'd like to know as well.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I honestly have no idea.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

I dont think it says stealthily, it just has you move in the direction with
the movemote as normal.

like you maybe sneaking but e (moving along cautiously) will just look like
So and so leaves east, moving along cautiously.
not
So and so stealthily leaves east, moving along cautiously.

at least from what Ive seen... Ive never seen a stealthily movement with
an emote, so it might just be no one has ever done it around me, or like I
think, it cant be done.

Quote from: "Savak"I honestly have no idea.

-Savak

That is the shortest post I have ever read, written by Savak at least.

It would be easy enough to test, though hard to do IC.  Have a good sneaker sneak back and forth a few times, to make sure you can't see him.  Then have him sneak back and forth using movement emotes, do you see him now?  Repeat, but first have a really good scanner/listener scan and listen.  Do you see him?

Then have a poor sneaker try, you don't even need sneak on your skill list to do it poorly.  You see him sneaking back and forth, right?  Good.  Now when he adds a movement emote, what do you see?

Voila.  Now you know.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Great suggestion AC but i tis hard to do with just your PC. I don't really communicate OOC while playing and I also think there is no real way to explain IC what needs to be done. That's why I posted here, so maybe one of the coders could check in the code and tell us, if this info is acceptable for mortal ears of course.

so and so stealthily moves east, scratching his arse along the way.

it does show that, and no, it doesn't make you automagickally fail when you add a move emote.

Quote from: "Plazgoth"Great suggestion AC but i tis hard to do with just your PC. I don't really communicate OOC while playing and I also think there is no real way to explain IC what needs to be done. That's why I posted here, so maybe one of the coders could check in the code and tell us, if this info is acceptable for mortal ears of course.

Yeah, I know.  You'd almost have to set it up OOC, then conduct the experiement in a set of private rooms.  Bleh.  Except for OOC problem, the test itself isn't that difficult and wouldn't require any deep understanding of the code.  Maybe some bored staffers will try it on Saturday, if they aren't too busy plotting ways to keep us from missing Halaster.   :wink:   Hey look, it's raining!  Ahhhh! It is raining acid!  I'm melting, I'm melllting!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins