Author Topic: Living so long.  (Read 3191 times)

Living so long.
« on: March 24, 2003, 02:13:15 AM »
Ever get tired of losing your friends with a long lived character. Every not want to play any more even tho your character wouldn't be that affected? To all the cool people I get killed and have no way to communicate with, I do not take your deaths lightly. Most have made me wish to quit this game altogether.

zanthalandreams

Living so long.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 07:26:11 AM »
I'm approaching my second year with the same character and I know what you mean.  I've never really wanted to quit because of it, but I find it harder and harder to invest the time in getting to know Ephemerals.  I see so many interesting looking PCs and I think, "He'll be gone in a week."  Sure enough.   But, I'm trying.  

The longer I live the more Methusalahs I meet, so I know I'm not alone in this world of mayflys.  It does hurt, especially when you lose that last friend.  You know, the only one left from when you were a newb.  That sucks the worst.

Fedaykin

Living so long.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 10:03:35 AM »
It does seem to get harder making new friends and all as time goes on, but I think thats more of an IC thing than an OOC.  After all, if the character always loses everyone he or she gets close to, they're going to be more withdrawn in most circumstances.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Anonymous

Living so long.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 10:48:48 AM »
My character has not lived all that long, but in the 40+ played days, most the people from the first days are gone.

It is hard to make friends with people you expect will die and especially fearing that they will die because your mistakes. And expecting to die any day yourself, it is easier to stay alone.

Sadly.

Rindan

Living so long.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 11:01:15 AM »
I actually enjoy having the 'lone survivor' status.  I had one PC whose lifespan cut across the war with Tuluk.  As a result, pretty much everyone who he knew (and he knew a fair number) died.  For me, I saw it as a great chance for further character development.  My character moved on and made some more friends.  Some of them died, but a fair number of them lived on.  In the end, he was a changed person.  He got older, and his personality changed some more.  Close friends died and it affected him.  There is a lot of opportunity for character development.  Don’t be afraid to seize the opportunity and have your character change due to the things around him.

I guess the best advice I can give is to join a clan.  Some clans just seem to mass produce immortal characters.  The Byn usually cranks out a few sergeants who just don’t seem to die.  Kurac used (can’t speak for now) to be filled with old folk.  I know at one point I had one of the youngest characters in Kurac when I joined… and he was six months old.  Kadians also seem to have long healthy lives, but then again, anyone who guards the wine cellar for a living probably will live for a while.  Truly though, I suggest just joining up with a clan.  People will still certainly die, but clan people tend to be far more adapt at living long life times

Well...
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 11:32:06 AM »
Its not as if the people I play regularly with die so often. To lose someone who has also played with you for a very very long time upsets me from time to time. Its when you finally think the other people will never die and they go and prove themselves mortal after all is when it gets to me. I will just laugh to myself at the clan comment.

Socko

Living so long.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2003, 12:08:42 PM »
It's the burden of having an aged character.. with the long life you gain so much in the way of storyline. You can look back at all of their past experiences, and how things are now.

Alas, a few people won't be there with that character.. I often look at interesting characters, myself, and wonder how long they'll last.

It's a blessing and a curse. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

halfbreed

• http://playerbase.com/elysium
Living so long.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 12:27:48 PM »
I had a char which I believe approached or passed the 60 day mark.  I experienced exactly what you mentioned when lag-death caused the death of a longtime friend in a spar.  I literally couldn't reconcile the death in my mind, or in-game, and essentially this made me leave not only the character, but the game, for several RL years.

It was a buildup of slowly watching friends drop left and right, being saddened by a few of those special chars that you really enjoyed dissapearing, then finally one you really, really liked lost at my own hands, due to OOC factors.  It was too much.

Not sure how I'd handle a similar situation again, but I'm glad I came back to the game anyway, as it seems to have improved by leaps and bounds.
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

Anonymous

The Zalanthan way.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2003, 01:37:04 PM »
Oh come on folks, grieved over death?  It's nice to see that we all have the real life emotion of grief, but in Zalanthas it just doesn't cut it.  In Zalanthas life may be precious to the person, but to friends it's cheap.  The culture should adapt to the RL-circumstances under which chars can die - lag, disco, mistakes.  That increases the death rate, so either people should have relationships not as close, not as trusting.

For example, look at the remake of The Time Machine, or whatever that movie was.  The tribe that was food for the other tribe had an extremely high death rate, but they basically lived in denial.  They did all that "live for the moment" stuff so they never looked back or forward.  Or how about Fight Club where the men in the group died without a name and were not talked about.  Or that horrible attempt at turning Wing Commander into a movie - you didn't exist when you died.

That should be the Zalanthan way.  You shouldn't get personally or IC-ly attached as much.  Playing with your friends?  Have two characters done up, yours and his/hers, who's sole purpose in life is to assassinate/kill the other.  Have a 2 year IC limit during which there's to be no contact or attempts, and after that its open season.  You could do it a variety of ways, but at least you're having fun with your friend just like it was almost LAN FPS.

Bottom line - don't get so attached.  People die, everything you enjoyed eventually ends.  It's the lamentation of the Elves.  SFW?  Make new friends, force yourself into those social groups.

Solo is another alternative, as long as you're solitary but still attached to the community around you to ensure a healthy game. Ask not what Armageddon can do for you, and so forth...

Well..
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2003, 01:56:48 PM »
What's your longest lived character Guest?

Everyone not giving a shit about anything is bullshit as everyone caring about everything is too.

You'd care about those who deserved it. I am sure even on Zalanthas there is a bond of friendship. Especially in a harsh world?

And after IC years together you should just callously look on your friend's death and say "Oh well"? I find that unrealistic.

Escpecially if you were a member of a tribe. You all depend on each other for survival. You have done so since .... and Death means nothing?. I am sure it is nothing to those who die every week.

I don't agree with hardly anything you said, but you are right you shouldn't get attatched. But well done characters are to be mourned in my opinion, especially if they are your friends. (And I can't help it Ha!)

krelin

Living so long.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 02:51:58 PM »
I agree with Dead Newbie.  One of the cool parts about permanent death is it really does suck for the people around you, if you manage to create a compelling character....  in some sense, you live on in a new way through them.  I think that's something to aspire to in your characters.  (whether they're -glad- you died, or -sad-, if there's an effect, it's a good thing  :)

Living so long.
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2003, 04:59:30 PM »
I go through this sometimes, more so with fighterish characters.

The Byn for example, is a great way to meet people. Usually your with a class of people that are similar to you in skill. As you progress, a good many die out, leaving you with a dwindling crowd.  You may then become closer friends with this group, but still exposed to newer people to the 'scene'. These never seem to become as good of friends as those that are your peers (i.e. equally skilled, been around with you as long as you remember.) And then as they gradually die out I end up feeling alone, and then get the kind of loner, disconnected feel in my characters.

Merchants and other non-combat types seem to experience this less to me. I usually am always meeting new people, and then dont really get the same bond as long-term exposure Id get through the Byn. That is the reason after a sometimes tragic character death from a fighter-type, I might drift into a merchant, magicker, or crafter to kind of get away from the stuff Id feel with the others.

Anyways, hope that... helps maybe?

Swordsman

Live long, and prosper
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 08:21:43 AM »
Having old IC friends die is actually one of the things that kept me going in this game. It was amazing the depth of emotion you could feel IRL at 'a game.' Everyone's different, but IMO friendships and trust are actually more valuable IC, not less so, because in a world where most people are out to get you, when you do find someone you can trust it makes it more special, not less. And that's also why betrayal, desertion, etc. are bigger issues IC than they might be OOC. You don't see people getting threatened with death if they work for Apple or Microsoft and then suddenly quit without notice (or maybe they do, hehe). ;) Anyway, you get what I'm saying.

Swordsman

halfbreed

• http://playerbase.com/elysium
Living so long.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 01:04:33 PM »
As others have said, I have no regrets about how I played my past chars, nor even of the several years I took off from the game.  To me, it only speaks of how good this game really is.  When was the last time I played any game (outside of a few very well-crafted single-player games) that made you actually feel for your character?

It's a great thing.  And yes, the harshness of the world has the opposite effect on me... it may numb me to the here-today-gone-tomorrow masses of characters, but for those few that I risked life and limb with over and over again, it makes them all the more memorable and dear.  I would say I would be playing my role TERRIBLY (at least given the nature of some of my chars) to just shrug these deaths off.

One of these days, I may work my way into a heartless-templar sort of char.  Until then, I'll keep on mourning my long-lost friends, thanks.

;)
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

aeshyw

Living so long.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 01:43:34 PM »
My current Pc has lived..umm.. a good long while.  In any case, I have found that my OOC reaction to watching other characters die intensified after the first several months of playing him/her.  

To me, its like reading a good, long novel. You get into it, start hating it when your favorite characters die, grow angry at the author and want more.. now...  Of course, unlike your favorite book, you can't go back and reread your favorite parts.

But..for that matter I also cry at sad movies, sad books, any medium that I get immersed in and start feeling for the characters.  Does that make me seriously disturbed? Probably.  But, as far as I am concerned, feeling badly when an Arm character dies is a compliment to them, because it shows you've 'fallen' for the illusion they created as a character, and is probably less odd then crying when for the 45th time when Old Yeller gets shot.

Gawynn

Living so long.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2003, 09:18:17 PM »
Incidently, in real life, the same occurs. I know of some aged people who just sit alone, feeling that they have nothing left to live for. They've outlived all their friends and relatives, and are alone. You've only known those other PCs for a relative short time in the scheme of things; sure it sucks, but it does happen in real life, and to a greater degree. Sure, it's sad, but it's also interesting to have my character reflect on his life, and all his lost friends. There are memories there, and those memories can greatly affect/enhance your character. It's another level of depth that can be mined. It's realistic, after a fashion. Sure, I feel horrible when a long lived PC friend/relationship/significant other dies, and feel miserable at the time, but looking back afterwards, it's food for thought and reflection. If that makes any sense ;P

Gawynn
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth