This is a totally selfish idea

Started by Malken, April 19, 2007, 10:45:22 AM

I wish there was a way to turn on and off the hunger and thirst messages.

Sometimes when I'm idle at work or home, I like to switch to something else but keep the game on in case someone will walk into the room I'm in or someone might need me via the Way.

Zmud warns me with a green dot at the bottom of the screen when something happens inside the game, telling me that I should check my screen. But with the hunger and thirst message showing up every 3-5 minutes or so, I always need to check back the screen and it gets annoying after a while.

I don't really need to know that I'm slightly thirsty or that I'm about to get hungry.. I think it would be nice to switch it so that I'm only warned if I'm starving or parched and that I can be trusted to check myself once in a while with the Score command to see how I'm doing food and thirst-wise.

Would also help when you're in a room crowded with people and you don't want any other extra messages popping out in the middle of the spam.

I want to be more available in my roles, that's why I don't mind taking a few minutes once in a while if someone needs me, but I still need to do other things during the day and I can't just stare at the screen for hours, so doing what I need to do while I keep the game open is a good solution for me, but with the thirst and hunger messages popping up all the time, like I say, it kind of messes it up.

Would it be really hard to code something like that? Is it too selfish of a request?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

In zmud can't you turn on a trigger to gag unwanted messages? If so that might stop it from flashing, worth a try anyway.

I would like this. :) Mostly they bug me from time to time. "Yes, I -know- I'm hungry already!"

While I like knowing when hunger first creeps up - so I can solve it straight away - it would also be nice to switch 'em off when necessary.

Editted to add:

I also think hunger (not thirst) detoriates health far too quickly/soon. I often go on 'water fasts' and don't consume anything but water for an entire week. It is at least 3-4 days before I start feeling any weaker or different, I have known people who have fasted in the same way for up to a month. Hunger is a pain, it bugs you - but I don't think it effects you as much as you might think....and I really don't think it kills you all that quickly either.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: "John"In zmud can't you turn on a trigger to gag unwanted messages? If so that might stop it from flashing, worth a try anyway.

Yes, I was wondering if the message is gagged -before- it's caught by zmud or not? As in, will it be gone from the screen but still make zmud flash or not? I'll try it later and see..

Still, might be useful for those that don't use Zmud, too, tho.

I don't find the hunger and thirst echoes that jarring. It's only realistic to know if and when your character is hungry or thirsty.

I don't care if you personally take them off your client, but that'd suck if all of the sudden your character started dying of dehydration or starvation and you suddenly remembered that you have to feed your character.

Using the #gag trigger will probably cause a blank line to be shown on the screen and then a new line of prompt, effectively making zmud to flash green. It might be possible to work around, but I have no clue how.

Quote from: "Rhyden"I don't find the hunger and thirst echoes that jarring. It's only realistic to know if and when your character is hungry or thirsty.

I don't care if you personally take them off your client, but that'd suck if all of the sudden your character started dying of dehydration or starvation and you suddenly remembered that you have to feed your character.

Please re-read the reason why I'd like the option to turn it on or off.. I'm not trying to start a debate on if it's too jarring or not, I'm just saying that I try to spend more time in-game if someone needs me, but if I have to keep switching back to Zmud every 3-5 minutes just because the game is telling me that I'm hungry, then it becomes very annoying after a while. (Eating and drinking to make sure that I'm full doesn't work either, because, beside economic reasons, the messages start popping on again rather soon even if you are just getting slightly peckish.)

So, like the title says, It's just a rather selfish reason and to help me have a longer presence in game in case I'm needed while I'm at work or working from home.

I just don't think it would take more than 15 minutes or so to code an option to switch it on or off and if someone would take the time to do it, I would be more than thankful, is all.

I've always wanted this for the way messages as well, especially with my chars who regenerate stun faster than they lose it.  It is obnoxious to be told every few ticks that I am suffering from the use of the Way.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"I've always wanted this for the way messages as well, especially with my chars who regenerate stun faster than they lose it.  It is obnoxious to be told every few ticks that I am suffering from the use of the Way.

Funny, I was just going to say that we could add this for the Way, as well :)

Maybe a general warning switch that you could turn on and off, if it's off, then all these warnings would be gone and it'd be up to you to keep up with them?

rule of three

you die/experience extream damage after:
3 minets without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
Quotejmordetsky: so I reckon, before 1750, people were fuckin retarded

QuoteNamino:
I'm not going to spawn 100,000,000 eggs like a black marlin just because Mekillots are a thing 

Quote from: "Malken"
Quote from: "Rhyden"I don't find the hunger and thirst echoes that jarring. It's only realistic to know if and when your character is hungry or thirsty.

Please re-read the reason why I'd like the option to turn it on or off.. I'm not trying to start a debate on if it's too jarring or not, I'm just saying that I try to spend more time in-game if someone needs me, but if I have to keep switching back to Zmud every 3-5 minutes just because the game is telling me that I'm hungry, then it becomes very annoying after a while. (Eating and drinking to make sure that I'm full doesn't work either, because, beside economic reasons, the messages start popping on again rather soon even if you are just getting slightly peckish.)

So, like the title says, It's just a rather selfish reason and to help me have a longer presence in game in case I'm needed while I'm at work or working from home.

I just don't think it would take more than 15 minutes or so to code an option to switch it on or off and if someone would take the time to do it, I would be more than thankful, is all.

I read your entire post again and stick to my original response.

Honestly, suck it up.

Quote from: "Rhyden"I read your entire post again and stick to my original response.

Honestly, suck it up.

Then the next time someone complains that leaders don't spend enough time in game as they should, -you- suck it up.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is.  You can make your client ignore that.

I see what you mean, but...it can be fixed, client-side.  There's no reason to get coded changes done for it.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Malken, if I'm reading your thread correctly, you're saying that the hungry echoes are annoying because your client informs you when they happen and you tend to idle so it's annoying having to check the game every few minutes.

Well dude, either find a different client or don't idle. I don't see what the big problem is here. It'd be great if the staff invented some way to turn those awful hungry/thirsty echoes off, yes, but until then just cope with it.

Quote from: "Malken"
Quote from: "Rhyden"I read your entire post again and stick to my original response.

Honestly, suck it up.

Then the next time someone complains that leaders don't spend enough time in game as they should, -you- suck it up.

Okay. I'll try but no guarantees.

You can set your client to remove it.

I don't think this should be high priority for the coders.  The new game's start has already been pushed back once.  Let's not have it happen again, hmm?

I'm with Rhyden.  If it's that jarring, figure out how to have your client NOT tell you about it, or ignore your client.  Turn off sound, maybe?  Don't look at the blinky icon in the task bar?

Honestly, I don't think that hunger and thirst messages come all that often that you need to worry, especially if you keep yourself well-fed and -watered.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I also have this problem, being that I use ZMud and occasionally idle while I do RL things to let people contact me via the Way.

My solution? Eat/drink 'til I'm full BEFORE I idle.

Problem solved.