Nitpicking or discussing?

Started by Anonymous, March 19, 2003, 01:30:44 PM

A few weeks back I posted a message asking the playerbase for their thoughts about the effects of adding taverns to the game.

Are such questions viewed by the staff as nitpicking?  As players overstepping their bounds?  As veiled criticism?  Is it dependent on the tone of the post?

I was just wondering because I wanted to make a similiar post about some petty topic and wasn't sure if I or others who discuss changes to the game world were coming across as backseat drivers.

Thanks.

I don't mind seeing such discussions.  I like to know what issues people have and what their perceptions.

It may seem at times that we're ignoring such discussion. In such cases it's usually the case that either:

A)  The staff might has already discussed the issue.  The tavern issue was raised and reconciled among the staff, for example, a while back, so much of that discussion was a rehash of ground that had long since been gone over.

B) There also seems to be a delusion that this is a democracy and that if enough players vote for something, it will get implemented. Take, for example, the discussion of the moderating system which seemed to cover everything but the fact of the work that would be involved.

Otoh, I can think of a number of changes implemented because of discussions on this board.

Great, thanks for the response!

As far as the staff not participating in the discussion, that's not something that bothers me.  A lot of the discussion on this board is held for its own sake, really, and I've never viewed it as the staff ignoring a topic when nobody responds.

Thanks again.

Quote from: "Sanvean"B) There also seems to be a delusion that this is a democracy and that if enough players vote for something, it will get implemented. Take, for example, the discussion of the moderating system which seemed to cover everything but the fact of the work that would be involved.

Well... in fairness, I never suggested the moderating system with the assumption that the vote would be the sole determination of whether or not the feature would be implemented.  That power always resides in the hands of the IMMs.

With respect to the work on the IMM side - in the mod discussion, I made an unspoken assumption that there was a file available, believing that since Lazloth found an ignore mod file, that a moderating mod file would definitely exist.  If there was no such file that had the code pre-written specifically for the phpBB system, I would have never bothered bringing up the idea, knowing the hell & headaches such a project would cause.

As for Arm being a democracy... gosh no.  It can't be (shameless worship) oh Sanvean, Sublime Goddess of Bothel.  :o

Quote from: "gfair"Sanvean, Sublime Goddess of Bothel.  :o

Not to be confused with Naephet, Sublime God of Brothels.
ssues are issues.  People are people.  Issues should be addressed, people should be loved. - John W. Frye

Quote from: "Laeris"
Quote from: "gfair"Sanvean, Sublime Goddess of Bothel.  :o

Not to be confused with Naephet, Sublime God of Brothels.

Naephet, Slime God of Brothels.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?