Reel

Started by Krath, March 23, 2007, 09:50:23 AM

On several occassions I have noticed where when someone supposedly Reels, there is no
lag for them. Is the code bugged?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I didn't even know there were fish in the Silt Sea.  You learn something new every day.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Quote from: "Tarx"I didn't even know there were fish in the Silt Sea.  You learn something new every day.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

hahaha I meant when you hit someone hard and they reel.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

:)

In seriousness, I never noticed the "lag" from reeling, but after looking over some old logs, I think you're right...but I'm not sure what reeling is supposed to do to someone.

That is, if we're talking about "you reel from the blow" and not "you reel in a big silt-horror."
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Was it npcs or pcs? A beetle reeled my last char, and I dizied, so I think it was working for me. :) But maybe NPC's are immune?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Npc's don't seem to suffer the same 'stuns' that PC's do, so jmordetsky brings up a very pertinent point.

If talking on the side of a PC...I haven't been sent 'reeling' too many times, but they always have resulted in delays for me.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I have been reeled and I did not notice the effect.

I have reeled some people and they fled like in one second, and this was a PC.

So maybe there is a bug.  Or maybe it is really too short.
some of my posts are serious stuff

While reel doesn't seem to last like it used to, and thank <insert diety> for that, I haven't noticed it not working.  I'll try watching closer, but I routinely reel stuff and haven't noticed NPCs using combat skills immediately following the rounds where I reel them.

Depending on various factors, I wouldn't expect reel to last longer than a second or two though.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I once got reeled by an NPC and typed 'flee', and fled instantly. Less than a second after reeling.
b]YB <3[/b]

Maybe reeling is only supposed to stop you from attacking?

Personally, I prefer this to the murderous reel fests that I saw when it first went in. :)
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Reel does not stop you from attacking.  It was easier to tell this when it first went in.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I've almost died from reel on several occasions.
Free your hate.

Reel is my baby's daddy.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Reel comes in different flavors. They're not the same length.

Try entering kill lag vs a large beast, getting bashed by them, then taking a 70damage shot that reels in quick succession. You can go get a soda before you move again.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: "Nile"I've almost died from reel on several occasions.

I died from reel on one occasion.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Ditto.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Reel:  a tool for teaching gracious generousity.  Sooo much better to give than to receive.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

It's most likely because there's invisible checks made depending on the power of the hit, and resistance to stun and other factors that determines the delay.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

Because hitting for 70 damage just isn't enough.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Quote from: "Hot_Dancer"Reel comes in different flavors. They're not the same length.

Try entering kill lag vs a large beast, getting bashed by them, then taking a 70damage shot that reels in quick succession. You can go get a soda before you move again.

Also along those lines: getting bashed and then rescued before you can stand produces an amazing delay. Like, "Gee, I hope my buddies are all stronger than me," long.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I probably should've added "If you move again."
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.