The Templarate

Started by Vositus, March 14, 2003, 03:05:38 PM

Ok, I have another question about the Allanaki Templarate.

So im not sure if im getting this right but if your a blue robe and your name is Bob, people would call you Lord Templar Bob of Tor(for example).

My question is about the Red robes, Are you still Lord Templar Bob of Tor? Or are you now Lord Templar Bob of the Red Robes?

Are the Blue robes any different from the Red? Like if someone made a Templar would you have to special app to be red or blue or black?

Thanks in advance

Zagren or Shinigami might be better able to answer the title question, although I would think that as a templar moved up in the ranks, he or she might tend to be more identified with the templarate than whatever house they came from.

Blue Robes are Junior Templars.
Red Robes are Advanced Templars.
Black Robes are Very Scary People. Most Allanak commoners would pee their pants upon seeing one.

Quote from: "Vositus"So im not sure if im getting this right but if your a blue robe and your name is Bob, people would call you Lord Templar Bob of Tor(for example).

My question is about the Red robes, Are you still Lord Templar Bob of Tor? Or are you now Lord Templar Bob or the Red Robes?
Personally, I generally drop any filial reference when addressing the Templarate.  This dude would simply be Lord Templar Bob for me.

Quote from: "Vositus"Are the Blue robes any different from the Red? Like if someone made a Templar would you have to special app to be red or blue or black?
Yep, sure are.  http://www.armageddon.org/general/ranktable.html
I sincerely doubt a PC can just app to come in red or black, though I imagine it may have happened periodically in the past.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

*just read the noble rankings thingie*

Wow I never know Black Robed templars were so... high up. I dont think Ive ever seen one then because obviously it would be like being in the prescense of one of the most powerful people below the Highlord.

and thats also funny that a Templarate slave is above commoners :)

Quote from: "Sanvean"
Black Robes are Very Scary People. Most Allanak commoners would pee their pants upon seeing one.

Unless, because they are so rare, the bleary-eyed commoner didn't realize that it was a black robed templar at first, and mistook him for just more rinth scum in a dark hooded cloak.  :twisted:  That would be funny, as long as it wasn't me.   :shock:  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I've always assumed that Black Robes get the occasional chat with Tek himself and as such are probably pretty damn hardcore fellas.

To answer the original question:

Lady Templar Daejaye Tor of the Blue.

Lord Templar Ihsahn Kasix of the Red.

The title goes in there along with it.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: "Samoa"To answer the original question
I read his original question as How do I address a Templar? not What is this Templar's full title?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I don't think it was clear whether the question was about addressing them or referring to them. I think the full title would probably only be used for announcing a visitor, introductions, etc.

One might announce Lady Templar Daejaye Tor of the Blue, but one would probably not use that full title otherwise, choosing to use one of the following instead: Lady Templar, Lady Templar Daejaye, Lady Templar Tor, Lady Daejaye, my Lady, or Please-don't-kill-me-I'll-do-whatever-you-say.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

To address her...

Lady Templar, or Lady Tor.  My Lady also works, and other things like that... you would NOT use her name unless she gave you permission - much like you wouldn't just walk down the street and if you saw the president, you'd be, "Hey, Mister President... or Hey, Mister Bush," but not, "Hey, Mister George!"  (Actually, I'd be, "Hey, fuckhead," but that's another story) -- anyway, there you have it.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Lady or Lord Templar is the common usage, and is usually taken better by templars than calling them by the name of their blood.  A templar is far more likely to answer to Lord Templar in a crowded tavern than Lord Oash. Many templars distance themselves from their relations, especially as they grow in rank and power.

Lord Templar Kilgore Oash of the Blue would be the official title for a templar.  As they progress, however, their rank does begin to become more of an issue.  Red robes are known to address their inferiors as simply "blue", from time to time, when referring to them in second or third person.

Lady Red would be acceptable from a commoner, for it does connontate that the speaker knows the discipline and skill required to attain such a rank.  Lady Blue, however, might be seen by some as derogatory, and blue robes tend to be very sensitive to issues of rank and status.  A Red Robed templar is quite likely to -expect- to be addressed by full title, assuming of course that the speaker is aware of her name.

Should one actually encounter one of the near-fabled black robes, any response would probably be out of line unless addressed.  In such a case, the name of the Black robed one is probably unknown to the commoner/noble/lower ranked templar, and Lord Black suffices.  Actually responding to a Black-robed templar by her official title (i.e. Lord Kilgore Oash of the Black) is risky, some may find the proposition amusing, while others may be insulted that you dared to speak their name.

So the bottom line is that, yes, templars tend to drift from their origins towards their ambitions and goals as Servants of the Highlord as they advance in rank.

The title Lord Kilgore of Oash is usually reserved for those who are still a member of their bloodline's household... and Lord Templar Kilgore of Oash would sound very strange to most templars.  However, templars themselves may refer to one another by familial association as a sign of respect or even *gasp* sentiment (for better or worse).  In such a case, Lord Templar Kilgore Borsail of the Red might refer to a certain blue under his command as "Sadira of Borsail" when speaking of her.

Hope that clears up more questions than it creates.
Shinigami
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

I think some Templars prefer Lord Templar or Lord Templar Bob to Lord Templar LastName.  In particular, some Templars are not of noble heretage, being commoner's from Merchant House or possibly even humbler families.  Obviously a non-noble child would have to be exceptional to even be considered for the program,  but still, you were born a dirty commoner and have dirty commoner relations.  Some of 'em might not want to be reminded.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Wasn't / isn't there a white robed templar of some sort in Allanak? Hows that fella fit in to all this? I assume its a safe question since this npc's presense was no secret to anyone.
 great evil walks Zalanthas...
Master Z has arrived from the west!

The white robes follow the same method of prestation, answering to Lord/Lady Templar or their full titles in kind.

:blush:  Didn't think to include them.

You guys/girls kick major ass. Thanks much.

Another question is...

If Templar Dusty(guy) and Templar Sandy(girl) have a baby... is the baby a templar?

Likely, yes... though it is possible that the child of such a relationship might not show the necessary aptitudes to become one of the Highlord's Finest.  Instead, said child would likely become a scribe, weaponsmaster, or fulfill some other position within the Arm of the Dragon.

Now if a templar should have a child with a noble... well, that brings up interesting socio-political questions that are quite possibly answered with the tried and true... "find out ic".  :wink:

Is it possible to get a white robed templar? I imagine they'd be a less important role to play... well from an unenlightened aspect that is. there might be something major behind the scenes that I dont know about. I dont know, but I think thatd be a good stepping stone into more high profile templar roles.

The White Robes are the priests of Tektolnes worship.  They are largely outside of the normal templarate chain of command, and as such, are in many ways harder to portray than the normal achievement-minded templar.  That said, we've discussed opening them in the past, and shall no doubt continue to discuss it in the future.

If you'd really like to play a templar of any stripe, feel free to send an application to Zagren and myself.  We are always willing to work on applications, though we are content at the moment with the number of active templars in Allanak and the surrounding environs.  Please remember to include pertinent details like your account name, and follow the Special Application guidelines from the docs.

Shinigami

Here we go with another question.

Is templar magic different from sorcerer or elementalist magic?

Quote from: "Jenred"Is it possible to get a white robed templar?
Heh. I've been thinking the EXACT same thing lately. I don't think it would be, mainly because I haven't seen any :P that and no-one seems to care about them. They're not even included in the Allanaki Social Rankings.

IMO religion seems to have been pretty much ignored in Arm outside of tribes. I imagine it'd make for AMAZING roleplay to have PCs as white-robed templars as one of their main duties is to preach about Tektolnes.

Although (AFAIK) it'd be a completely different role to the Blue, Red and Black robes due to the fact that they're mainly designated to the lower roles (such as kank selling and distributing water) and for the most part non-military roles (basing this only on the docs and the few NPCs I've seen so it's quite likely I'm wrong).

[EDIT]: Woops :P just read Shinigami's post. Thanks a lot for answering all of our questions there :)

Quote from: "Vositus"Is templar majik different from sorcerer or elementalist majik?
Not too sure if Shinigami will answer this, mainly because he might find it too difficult not to give away IC info. So I'll do my best to answer it ;)

Quote from: "[url=http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?guild_templarTemplar Helpfile[/url]"]All of a templar's power comes from above, either from higher ranking templars or from the King of the city. These powers might be magicks, knowledge, or any number of favours or privileges.

[snip]

There are no skills or magicks that are universally common to all templars; templars have their abilities granted or taken away at the discretion of their superiors (and, especially, at the pleasure or displeasure of their King).
Now I don't know how magickers learn new spells so I don't know if spells are teachable or not, so the following is JUST my opinion and is quite possibly wrong.

I doubt neither magickers nor sorcerers need someone to teach them spells, and from this helpfile, I gather that the only way to learn a new Templar spell is for someone to teach you. So I'm guessing that yes, templarate magick is quite different then the magick sorcerers or magickers use.

I also believe that Templars aren't born with the ability to use magick, but have to be taught how to use it. So therefore ANYONE can probably learn Templar magick. Although perhaps Templars are also magickers. I mean. What DOES happen to Noble magickers?  :shock:

Templar magick is granted by their king or whatever... I dont think they can branch in the normal terms, but gain more abilities through trust. Then again they might be able to branch, but think of it as being bestowed further skills by their King...

[Edited: I posted this when I accidently didn't notice a bunch of answers after my prior question. My question has been duely answered, thank you much.]

I guess I was actually asking out of a greater curiosity, since there doesn't seem to be any documentation about their rank, duties, position, etc. I was kind of curious who they are and how they fit in to the social structure of Allanak, if this would be common knowledge.

This is also my 200th post. Yay.
 great evil walks Zalanthas...
Master Z has arrived from the west!

Tektolnes is powerful. So fucking powerful that he can lend out his magick to anyone on his whim. That's how powerful he is. Keep in mind he's a sorceror king. So, if he's using his sorcery and giving out powers, templars probably would qualify as using sorcery rather than elemental or different magick. A good question, though, is where does Tektolnes and Muk Utep get their power from if they're sorcerors? Finding out IC is the only way, though.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

To respond to what John said--

I doubt that the only way a templar gains new power is if another one walks up to him and says, 'Just say medula oblongata and you can turn everything into steel!' and he's got a anything to steel spell. From everything I've gathered from the documents, Tektolnes has complete and utter control over a templar's powers. Thus, a single thought is all it would take to strip away a templar's magick.

A templar would probably recieve spells, then, if Tektolnes or whoever decided to grant them more for their duties. Magick is such an unknown and foreign topic that it's hard to guess at how you know if you have a new spell or not. Whether someone comes up to you and says, 'Tektolnes has granted you the ability to summon jozhals. To do this, you need to say...' or you suddenly just realize you have a new aspect of the power is a mystery.

It's probably safe to assume that when you go up in rank, like from blue robe to red robe, you gain a new assortment of powers and abilities. And considering how high black robes are, I don't think you really want to try stealing coins from their pouch. Hell, just think about emoting it. You'd have to bump into them or something, and from the stick up the blue robes' asses, bumping into a black robe would be grounds for torture.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!