new skill: second wind

Started by Lenny Poppo, January 25, 2007, 12:19:02 PM

how about a second wind for skilled warriors?

yes this is a great idea
3 (8.8%)
no I would prefer not to have this
31 (91.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: January 25, 2007, 12:19:02 PM

I was thinking how you know sometimes you are at a low hp total, like 20 hp and you have your opponent down to like 2 hp and you know you can beat him but then whammo you get hit with a lucky blow to the head and your dead, well check this idea:

the orange-skinned ogre hits you in the head hard!
you stumble but regain your strength, taking in your second wind!
you rise again
you strike the ogre hard on his head, killing him instantly
he tries to stand up again, but then collapses
you have defeated the ogre

So he tried to get up because he also had second wind skill but it failed for him and worked for me. What do you guys think? Might make the outcome of battles more interesting, imo

I could see the feasibility of a "second wind" for "running away."
But not for the situation that was described.

Just my opinion.  I don't think it's a necessary thing to explore.

Unless it's done magickally.  Then it would be feasible as well as ICly explainable.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

I say "thumbs down" to the official cheat death skill.

I think this actually kind of already exists through the 'luck factor' of combat, though.  Sometimes, that much less skilled warrior can get a lucky hit to the head with a hammer, just before dying, right after being bashed.  It's not often, but it's happened.

That guy cheats death.  Through luck, it can already occur.  Though...neat that it's not really a skill that can be 'powergamed' :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'm not even sure how you want it to work. Whenever you would normally die, you make a "last wind" check and avoid death if you succeed? So in the end, who wins a fight comes down to who has the most luck, or the highest last wind skill? If that's how it works, I'm not in favor.
b]YB <3[/b]

how has arm existed so far -without- this skill?

boggles the fucking mind.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

So much of this game, and the future of your characters' life, depends on chance and percentage and code.  This just seems like...another dice roll.  I don't think it would add much.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quotehow has arm existed so far -without- this skill?

Pretty well.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

If you are combative enough you've probably noticed that your character, depending on who knows what, will actually start off the battle strong, or go into it strong later.  As I had one pc who would get his whopping early on, and as the battle progressed he'd push his way forward and eventually overtake the battle, this could be translated as a second wind, but not in the respect that your requesting.
ogues do it from behind

How would you train this as a skill?  It's a well known fact that you only train a skill when you fail.  Failing this would be.. death..  Right?
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Yes, either death, or...well, undeath...

How about a skill called "second set of genitalia", and when your character is born there is an N% chance that they are hermaphroditic and if they are they get to make guest appearances on Jerry Springer. (if they so choose)

That makes *about* as much sense to me as a coded skill as this does.

Muhahahaha.

Okay, I'm sorry. In all seriousness then, I think some sort of high level "pump up" skill for warriors that could be invoked like a spell (> beserk) would be cool IIF (if an only if) warriors weren't so buffified in combat as it is. They are really bad ass against other guilds already.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"How would you train this as a skill?  It's a well known fact that you only train a skill when you fail.  Failing this would be.. death..  Right?

It is a mystery.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "Fathi"
Quote from: "Sir Diealot"How would you train this as a skill?  It's a well known fact that you only train a skill when you fail.  Failing this would be.. death..  Right?

It is a mystery.

can raise it if you die before two hours

Quote from: "Tarx"Yes, either death, or...well, undeath...

New Warrior Skill: Undeath
Go.

Well, this also happens to be a warrior skill in World of Warcraft.  Now you know!

AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

GI JOE!!