Author Topic: Zalanthan Illnesses.  (Read 3014 times)

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« on: March 08, 2003, 11:09:00 PM »
--For the South, dont really care about the North but feel free to add-

I was wondering if any past Medic/Physician characters have compiled any not-to-IC notes about illnesses they devised, heard about, or all other sorts things. Ones that wouldnt be a coded detriment, but that are useful in RP.

Are things like the 'Flu' common in Zalanthas?

I know that fevers and things seem to be common, but are there any named illness that would be pretty common knowledge among the people of the city? Obviously with all the low standard of living, cleanliness and overall just low quality of life I think I would be able to name some common diseases.

like maybe Eye Blight- a zalanthan version of pink eye, resulting in itchy, red eyes. etc.

Any help would be great. thanks :o

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 11:54:16 PM »
Up North there were a few characters (Maybe only me, and probably wherever I ripped it off of, if I did indeed rip it off of a character) talking about Sand Rot. We didn't know much about it, but we just blamed lots of things on it. And it comes from consuming sand or getting sand in your wounds (Large amounts, obviously, since you know, on Zalanthas, sand is everywhere anyway)

Impska

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 01:57:28 AM »
In the south, when referring to ill family members, I tend to use "Sand Fever", though I've never gone far on fleshing out what it consists of.

I mostly picture a lot of sweating and lack of appetite that leads to severe weight loss. It has a tendency to be fatal, given its impacts, but only common among the poor. Dehydration and weakness being the main causes for fatality, maybe due to the high likelihood that there won't be enough water to help recovery and the conditions make it easier to catch other illness. Recovery is possible, but lasting effects could result if it's particularly severe, or if one catches something else damaging.

I've never thought much along the lines of causes. Due to the fact that I've considered it a  "commoner" disease, one could hazard to guess that they would include conditions related to crowding, malnourishment and lack of sanitation.

And the plague is always a good one, too. I imagine it's much like the plague in our world.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

Bhuff

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 12:17:38 PM »
Never forget the mental illnessed, as most people would be susceptible to them as the stress level is bad.

Common things as a diagnoses like battle fatigue, post traumatic stress disorder can make you a very popular physician. Just make up yer own name for the disease or use the RL name. Who said a physcian only tends to physical wounds?  I'm sure soldiers would occasionaly come down with a mental disease. Anyhow, I can imagine that it could add to someone's RP greatly if a physcian suddenly tells them that they will may be having nightmares about a recent severe attack that almost killed them.

In addition illnesses for nobility might include paranoia, i.e everyone is out to get them. Heck isn't everyone? or Perhaps they have an edipal complex? A well played physcian would seem to be able to diagnose these conditions with the answering of a few questions by the other player and adding quite a bit of RP material for a new noble or merchant.

I think I've me a few merchants that could be characterized as megalomaniacs.

Anonymous

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 08:19:00 PM »
I would think that in a world like Armgaddon mental illness would be viewed as maybe an attack from magic or demons or something similiar. Or the people would just be thought of as weak. You've gotta be tough in the world of Armageddon.

Sun sick Gortok

Sun sickness.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 12:45:49 AM »
My favorite is sun sickness, those who suffer it tend to lay around quietly not doing much. (link death). Maybe it should be called Krath sickness. But this is my own invention that I stubbornly cling too.

Angela Christine

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 12:58:21 AM »
Yeah, I've heard of people being called Sun Struck, Krath Struck, or Krath Touched when they start acting goofy due to link problems, the cat walking accross the F1-F10 keys they use for their macros, or just general brain farts.  In terms of symptoms (beyond sitting on your kank not reacting to anything) I assume it would be similar to Sun Stroke or Heat Stroke.

http://www.umm.edu/non_trauma/dehyrat.htm says:

What is heat stroke?
Heat stroke is the most severe form of heat illness and is a life-threatening emergency. It is the result of long, extreme exposure to the sun, in which a person does not sweat enough to lower body temperature. The elderly, infants, persons who work outdoors and those on certain types of medications are most susceptible to heat stroke. It is a condition that develops rapidly and requires immediate medical treatment.

What causes heat stroke?
Our bodies produce a tremendous amount of internal heat and we normally cool ourselves by sweating and radiating heat through the skin. However, in certain circumstances, such as extreme heat, high humidity or vigorous activity in the hot sun, this cooling system may begin to fail, allowing heat to build up to dangerous levels.

If a person becomes dehydrated and can not sweat enough to cool their body, their internal temperature may rise to dangerously high levels, causing heat stroke.

What are the symptoms of heat stroke?
The following are the most common symptoms of heat stroke, although each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:

headache
    dizziness
    disorientation, agitation or confusion
    sluggishness or fatigue
    seizure
    hot, dry skin that is flushed but not sweaty
    a high body temperature
    loss of consciousness
    rapid heart beat
    hallucinations
[/i]

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Callisto

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 08:53:06 AM »
I had a healer about too a year and a half ago that treated some people for stuff, most of it is stuff players came along, claiming to feel this and that, and I'll made up some bullshit to explain it, so I could then treat them. I wrote it all out later for future characters.

Kank fleas - Lice that infest the skin between the first and second layer, causing a severe rash and a painful itching sensations when irritated (touched, scratched, ect). The fleas can be caught by anyone that has contact with kanks and similar beasts, though is most common among hunters, raiders and mercenaries due to constant and long periods of contact. Treated by scrubbing by scrubbing away the first layer of skin, then treating the area with sap from the green leaves common across the known world, and covering with a bandage.

The 'rot' - When a still-living persons skin begins to die and rot. Cause unknown. Treated by removing the affected limb to stop the spread, or the rotting will continue until death.

Grass fever (northlands) - Patient becomes extremely nauseous and disoriented, followed later by blurred vision, running nose a sore lower jaw. Cause is unknown, common during the third season (third month of the year), possibly due to plant spores. Treatment consists of a strong drink, a cloth to blow ones nose as needed and a couple of days rest.

Heat Splotch - Skin becomes covered with small, puss-filled boils that are mildly painful. Suspected to be caused by too much dried sweat on the skin. Its treated by cleaning the skin and applying a sap-based salve and covering with a bandage.

Theres more, but I wrote them down with a pencil and paper and I'm too tired to type any more out. I can add the others tomorrow night maybe, if I don't go right to bed.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Laeris

Documentation
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2003, 05:40:00 PM »
I would be willing to write up some documentation for this type of thing if there's interest.  I would need people to send me an email of the diseases they have come up with or roleplayed out that lists the name of the illness, the general symptoms of the illness, possible causes, and areas it is common to.
ssues are issues.  People are people.  Issues should be addressed, people should be loved. - John W. Frye

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2003, 08:52:36 PM »
Id really like to see it. People should be sick alot more often, even if just a sand-irritated cough caused :)

Meep

Zalanthan Illnesses.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2003, 11:14:48 PM »
I'd even really like to see minor rp'd injuries more.. even big ones that get infections. Things like burns, infections, splinters, small cuts.. they happen all the time. They may not be severe, but.. it just adds something.
lt;Varak> "If my theory proves correct, weezers and dwarves, due to their similar evolutionary environment, should join in a symbiotic relationship in extended isolation."