On entering compounds.

Started by Maybe42or54, November 11, 2006, 07:11:20 PM

I was getting abused by my wife today and I got an idea. Why is it so hard to get into other compounds?
Specific House equipment should be hoarded as a high priority item. As it is now, I can get mugged of all my elite House Tor equipment to a friend I've known for three years.

What if we changed it so, if you spoke the correct accent, wore the right clothes, didn't have any visible tattooes to say otherwise (or the correct tattoos), and looked good to the guard, they let you in?

We could wish up, but it should be easier in a way to do this. What are your thoughts?

If you walk like a chicken, talk like a chicken, I should be able to kill you like a chicken. Right?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I've always assumed there's some sort of unspoken abstraction going on, like a Secret T'zai Byn Hand Signal that changes every week or something. Because, really, how hard is it to sap some Wyvern and take his boots?

I think your wife should abuse you more.

I've always been in favor of something like this, but I've imagined that the coding involved would be pretty buggy and maybe even not worth it.  

My only fear with something like this is some twink killing a House/organization's recruit, then going to rob the entire compound blind.  Hell, they'd even be able to steal the latine shovels from the Byn.  

Of course, I'm sure the playerbase and imm-base would eat such a person alive.

Another thing to consider is that not all these compounds have -that- many employees.  Many times, the people on guard duty might know anyone in livery entering their gates and be well within realistic bounds to question a strange face.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

I'm sure if you were dead set on doing something like this and did all the neccessary work except for codedly getting past the guards...

Some imm would humor you and walk through the rest. Hell. I'm sure they would prefer knowing if anyone was stealthing into a compound crawling with VNPCs by any means..

This really should just be done with staff intervention because NPCs are frigging stupid.  NPCs either ignore you, or they don't.  If there was a coded way to get into a house and be treated like a house employee, you could easily rob the place blind.  NPCs are stupid and will not question you walking out with a chest full of metal armor.

If you are going to rob an estate, regardless if you are a thief or an employee, my personal opinion is that you should set up a time with a staff member to do it.  With a staff member around to breath a little life into the NPCs, your thief, armed with a uniform, can merrily talk his way or your house employee can explain why he needs to move a chest filled with l00t to a new location.  

If nothing else, with a staff member watching and animating NPCs, you are a hell of a lot more likely to be honest about what you can realistically steal.

There's always the social engineering approach - players can be a lot easier to fool than NPCs.

This occured to me a few characters back when I let a new clan employee follow me into the compound. It was only later on that I thought, "Hey, I'd never seen that guy before, and just because he had the clan gear and knew the right names doesn't mean he wasn't a particularly well prepared spy..."