The Silt Sea

Started by , March 06, 2003, 02:44:34 AM

The vast silt sea... now I understand there are skimmers that sail out on the silt. But Im wondering... how if you can, do you learn to operate one? Does pilot apply to them? Or is there a sailing command?

And then of course the more OOC portion... but im wondering if there is a decent chunk of Silt Sea rooms. I dont want to put all this work and fun RP into getting a skimmer only to realize there is like 20 rooms, each with a big bad silt horror, making there no real point/viability to maintaining and living life as a Silt Pirate :)

Next... from an IC point of view would people be smart enough to assume that the silt sea was probably at one time water? But has since evaporated into the mass of silt and treacherous beasts?

And also is there documented history of the salt flats/silt? Now I think most salt flats in the real world are the results of ocean coverage at one time that pulled back leaving major salt deposits, and that the silt sea is amass with islands and the rumored homes of Giants and glow crystals... but would anyone know anything beyond that? Like why its all silty... etc.

Any helpful comments or things would be useful.

I think the general consensus should be find out IC. Think of al the fun you will have not knowing the answers to your questions and finding them out IC. Even if they are not the answers you wanted you would have had plenty of fun getting them, trust me.

[EDIT]
I believe pilot would apply to them, but to be 100% sure try it IC
[/EDIT]

Hmmm, the real question is...would an elf travel on a silt skimmer, or would that be akin to travelling on a wagon?  Of course, not sure how else an elf would go anywhere on the Silt Sea, unless that have some sorta nifty snowshoe-like device to run on its surface.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

As for the question about the silt sea once being filled with water, you would probably blow the mind of your average Zalanthian if you even suggested that much water existed.  Odds are most Zalanthians would never even think a thing like an ocean possible and laugh at even the notion of one.  

Learned scholars on the other hand is a whole different story, but you still must aknowledge that there is no physical reference for the present day Zalanthian to make him or her get anywhere near the conclusion that oceans are possible.

Skimming the silt sea is one of those dashing things that only the really stupid or the really brave and stupid of Zalanthas would even imagine attempting.  I can almost garantee you if you pull it off and go on a skimmer it will be exciting and interesting and that's if you die!  If you live, man you'll be that crazy guy who went out on the silt sea.  You'll be getting free drinks the rest of your life from people wishing to be regaled by your tales if you can prove you actually did it.

As for elves, I would think an elf would rather make an honest deal with a gullible human than ride in a silt skimmer.  Elves pride themselves on their ability to use their legs to stay alive.   Ridding is like making them impotent, they're no longer using their most potent skill, their agility.  Being on a silt skimmer would violate two of their core beliefs.   Don't ride, and don't step on/off something that might kill you (silt, cliffs, mekillot's toes).  Well that second one goes for most people I suppose not just elves.  So an elf on a skimmer would feel like he is in the middle of exactly where he doesn't want to be and with no place to run.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.