Hairless races and nails

Started by amish overlord, October 21, 2006, 09:40:58 PM

Should muls and dwarves have fingernails?

From what understand fingernails are pretty much hair, made from same proteins as hair cep they are harden. Any thoughts?

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

I'd say it's a definite Yes on them having fingernails.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Yeah, I'd reckon fingernails. There's got to be some kind of non-hairy animal with fingernails we can compare then to...

Do lizards have fingernails? Or don't they count?

They may be made of the same material, but that doesn't mean if you don't have one, you don't have the other.  Hair and fingernails are distinct, separate traits.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

those hairless cats.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I think lizards have a diffrent make up for their claws. And most mammals do have hair, even if very tiny. I think whales and dolphins even have hair, pretty much microscopic in size.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Granted, the mud is only based somewhat on Dark Sun...but a history lesson from Dark Sun for those that haven't read the Prism Pentad series:

Dwarves used to have hair.  They evolved to not have it.  In fact, a few people find this out, a dwarf included, and he displays revulsion at finding this out.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Lizards, I'm pretty sure they don't have hair but they have claws, which I'm pretty sure are more or less the same thing as nails.

Quote from: "FightClub"those hairless cats.

I reckon this one. A few thousand years in the past, some noble probably sat looking at a dwarf and said, "I want a hairless one! Because it'll look really pretty, and not as disgusting as you'd think."

There's a disease called alopecia in which one loses one's hair, but not their nails.

</useless facts>
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Yet those useless facts help us through every day life. I say it would be pretty fucking wierd to have dwarves without fingernails, and painful, and wierd.

Hair requires follicles. A lack of hair can be explained by the lack of follicles.

Nails have cuticles, thus you can have nails without hair, even though both are made from keratin.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Think about cancer and the radiation treatments, you lose your hair.. but not your fingernails, that's absurd.. I'd say they do.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I think there's a big difference between being born hairless and losing hair due to cemotherapy cyber.

Muls and Dwarves lack the essential proteins, from what I can see, in order for hair to form. It's quite possible that, as a result, they would have no nails also.

Do muls and dwarves even have pores? *snicker*

If they didn't, would they be alive?
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"Muls and Dwarves lack the essential proteins, from what I can see, in order for hair to form. It's quite possible that, as a result, they would have no nails also.

Where do you get that?  I'm with Djarjak.  It could simply be they don't have follicles.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Follicles and pores are two seperate things.

Consider it a quirk of evolution.  I'm good with that explanation.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Or it could be that they have perfectly good follicles that just don't produce hair.

Hairless cats and hairless rats still have claws.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

The interaction between pores and follicles has often led me to wonder about hairless races and pimples.  Being all girly (not really) led me to try all manner of facial hair removal techniques because pale skin and dark hair is not a good combination if you want to avoid looking like you have a moustache, and most of them seemed to cause pimples.  Of course that may have been in-grown hairs, or minor damage caused to the follicle by having hair violently ripped out by the root, rather than an effect of the missing hair.  Still, I wonder if dwarves and muls wouldn't be either much more likely or much less likely than humans to have pimples.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I don't see how it makes sense in a sand-filled world, for dwarves to evolve to not have eyebrows or eyelashes.  Eh.  Lol.  Oh well.

Quote from: "Vessol"Yet those useless facts help us through every day life. I say it would be pretty fucking wierd to have dwarves without fingernails, and painful, and wierd.

if they didn't have fingernails they would evolve  tougher hands to compinsate
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

I'd like to point out that not only is there the cuticle-follicle difference, but actually a genetic difference as well. (Witness, once again, the cats, whose genes were manipulated through artificial selection.) I'd -also- like to point out that, while in the same 'family', the proteins of hair and fingernails are different. Sure, they're keratin, but what KIND of keratin?
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

That is like asking why you can't by a men's cotton jersey at Victoria's Secret. The same materials yes, but hair follicles don't make fingernails.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Hee, signature self-esteem boost!
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot