Player base - The other side

Started by The Lonely Hunter, February 27, 2003, 11:48:52 PM

I know it's been an issue for years, getting more players.
This is fine and a great start, however, what do we do once we have them? We have spoken about this at player-staff meetings but I think that there has been one topic that I can't recall being openly discussed.

I understand many have a life and a full work load in game and it can be hectic but I can say I know of three long time players who have left for another mud simply because of the lack of imm support in their chosen clan. Lack of replies, input/feedback, etc. It left them sour. I've experienced this feeling in the past myself, fortunately I'm too addicted to leave :P but there are certain clans I'll prolly never willingly play in again.

Sometimes it can be the little things that drive players away. Something that is 'no big deal' can be remembered for longer then a 'big deal'.

The imms put in a lot of work and need to be respected for that but on the same hand without the players, Armageddon doesn't exist. Neither is above the other.

My point here is this:
It is everyones job to act professional, polite, and courteous to each other. Not just players to imms or imms to players. We all enjoy the same game; we should act like it.

Special thanks go out to those players who submit 100's of items, RP their best, and treat everyone with respect. Thanks also go out to Imms, like Sanvean, who has a large load (check out the 'staff duties' page) of game stuff, I'm sure tons of RL stuff, but -still- finds the time to post once and awhile and respond to e-mails politely and promptly.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I feel like there is a ton of IMM support...I always mess things up with the code in terms of selling the wrong item...giving things to npc's and IMMs are always there to help.

I agree with Lonely Hunter to some degree, yet I'll give the IMM's the benefit of the doubt. They DO have a lot of work to do, and I can understand that sometimes it is hard to multi-task.

Maybe they just need some more help. Or maybe they could possibly just assign certain imms to deal with ONLY clans and nothing else, so that everything gets equal attention?(Unless the imms already do this?)

Here's my 2 cents:

Different staff members have different ways of supporting their clans. Some are extremely active and like to be very hands on, while others like to step back and let the players take the initiative.

Neither way is necessarily superior to the other. My suggestion would be to find a clan supported by a staff member whose style matches your own and play in it.

Now, if you're not getting any response at all to your emails, that can be annoying. I've been in that situation before, and it sucks. My advice would be, with emails, to always CC the mud in your emails to your clan immortal. If you continue to receive no reply, then send another one. Eventually, you'll get a response either from the staff member or the mud account.

Cheers,
Bakha
ack to retirement for the school year.

Quote from: "Bakha"Here's my 2 cents:
My suggestion would be to find a clan supported by a staff member whose style matches your own and play in it.

Great advice and I agree 100%. From the interactions I've had with the staff I can pick out those that mesh best with my style of play and 'needs'.
Unfortunatly though for some people the imms who seem to fit the player best might run a clan that doesnt match the player at all.

I could easily name off the imms that I would feel very comfortable with in their clans as well as a few that I wouldnt, at least not in a leading role. Guess its kind of like finding a mate, you -really- don't know until its too late heh.

I didnt mean my post to bash anyone if thats how it was taken. I just ment it as a reminder for everyone to try and be polite and considerate and was spurred by a conversation I had with a RL friend about the diffrent staff members and players.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra