Thieves

Started by Gricker, September 16, 2006, 07:19:57 AM

Hmmp, it comes to my understanding if your near a guard, sleeping, you should not be stolen from, because....

:arrow: THERES A GUARD STANDING RIGHT THERE, WHO CARES YOU TRY THEY TAKE YOU DOWN

:arrow: Its not fare, i mean theres a guard right there.

:arrow:  What do you think?

-Gricker

do you think we should make it so if your ''sleeping'' next to a guard, you cant be stolen from, because really theres no place else to sleep, and you have to play your charcter as if hes real, dosnt make sence a guard standing there watching a guy pull somthing off you.
an people in Zalanthas get along? no, you know why? we all HATE EACHOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It depends on IF the guard is actively guarding you.  Just because they're described as a guard doesn't mean they care about YOU and are guarding YOU.  The code already correctly handles guards guarding someone  and stealing.  In your situation, the guard wasn't guarding YOU.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Unless your of high enough status to have your own guard, which your probably not seeing as your sleeping in a public place, or your just damn lucky enough to have a PC thats willingn to follow you around then your all set not many will be able to pilfer your possessions, other wise you just have to hope that some how the thief fails and the guard sees them. other then that i basicly will suggest just like any one else that sleeping in public places is just asking to be stolen from.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

The allanki gurads ''wouldnt'' just stand there and let you be stolen from would they?
an people in Zalanthas get along? no, you know why? we all HATE EACHOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: "Gricker"The allanki gurads ''wouldnt'' just stand there and let you be stolen from would they?

How do you know they saw the crime?

They might not have been paying attention to you and didn't see it. And if you're a grubby commoner, they might not care. Or maybe the thief paid them off.

City guards do not care about people unless they're Important People.

An idea for the future...

Make yourself important to them.  Pay them off, make friends, ask them to watch over your corpse as you rest (not necessarily in that order).  Just because they're in the same room, doesn't mean they are where you are or are watching you sleep... most guards have better things to do.  Warning, even if you wish up to have a staff member let you interact with one (I probably wouldn't advise it unless the bribe was -really- good) it doesn't mean it will go smoothly...

Example:
I once had a patrolling templar who went out to visit the farming villages... a bit sunstruck, he sat down to rest and fell asleep near a barnyard pen... woke up to something -eating his hat-!  I spent the next day in game trying to get the smell of chalton piss out of my templar robes and gear (and getting it back to smelling like spice like it should).  True story, some 5 or 6 years old, I think.  Never did thank the staff for eating my hat.

Sorry to be so blunt, but:

Quote from: "Gricker"Its not fare, i mean theres a guard right there.

Quote from: "[url=http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?armageddonThe Rules of Armageddon[/url]"]4. Complaints of unfairness will not be given an audience. If you think your character's situation was unfair, too bad. Live with it or don't.
See point 2 above.

Life is tough. While it might not be nice that someone stole something from your character while unconscious, much less beside a guard...it's certainly within the realm of possibility. Heck, maybe it was the guard that took your things?

Welcome to Armageddon!
Tlaloc
Legend

Some thieves are so good that others in the room might not spot the fact that they're stealing.

Some guards might not care.

Some guards might not have noticed the theft because of other things going on.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Quote from: "Gricker"The allanki gurads ''wouldnt'' just stand there and let you be stolen from would they?

They most likely would not.  But the code takes that into account.  If the guy stealing from you makes a mistake the guards are already going to jump on him anyway.
some of my posts are serious stuff