Blindfighting and sandstorms

Started by Hidden, September 03, 2006, 05:39:22 AM

I don't know if this is in the game, from what i've seen no, however i'd like to see combat abilities be penalized depending on the severity of the sandstorm going on. If its a terrible storm where you can't even see a two rooms ahead of you, the penalty should be noticeable but not completely crippling.

Blindfighting skill should help leviate some of the penalities induced by sandstorms while in combat.

Quote from: "Hidden"If its a terrible storm where you can't even see a two rooms ahead of you, the penalty should be noticeable but not completely crippling.

If you can see in your own room, you can see in your own room. I don't see why a coded penalty should be put in place.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Sandstorms limit visibility.  I like the idea, provided of course that it applies to NPCs as well.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Sounds fair.  I would love to see it happening, though as spawn said, NPCs should get the same penalties as PCs.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I have to ask though, what's the point?  If everyone is getting lowered combat in the sandstorm wouldn't the simplier approach be just not to do it at all?  I guess it could be cool to see some people fumbling around in futile battles, but I do have one issue I'd like to bring up.  

There maybe some ways that more or less nullify effect of sandstorms, though things like veils, wraps, hoods, sunslits, which all might have some effect on a sandstorm, such as protecting your face and eyes so you don't get sand in them, doesn't appear to have an effect.

It just seems to me that if there are ways to nullify the effects of a sandstorm, then a hunter or otherwise outdoorsy type who may not have any abilities of that sort would do everything they can to lessen the effects incase they get caught in such a storm, but code would limit them.  I grant I'm not sure how well a hood, or a sheer veil over the eyes, or a pair of slits would really help.  I imagine some white gauzy fabric with a wide brimmed hat could prove quite effective.  My point is before more pentalities go into sandstorms, I might like to see some bones tossed toward the people who actually have to be out in them.

Blindfighting would reduce penalties, just as it does for fighting in the dark, so NO, it wouldn't be equal across the board.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I haven't played a desert class in so long.

Sounds interesting to me, though I still wish dressing well had some effect on storms.

I'd like to see blind-fighting be combined somehow with listen to produce a scan-like effect versus sneak, and invisibility.

Quote from: "Yang"I'd like to see blind-fighting be combined somehow with listen to produce a scan-like effect versus sneak, and invisibility.

I would not want to see blind-fighting as a detecting ability.  For it has nothing to do with detecting -unless- you are engaged in melee with the target.  If the target is not fighting you, you do not know his location.  But if he is fighting you, your reflexes are put in work, covering your vulnarable areas, countering blows as you hear your opponent's blows whistling, his clothing rustling and so on, and from the direction of the incoming blows, you direct your own attack thus fighting more efficiently than a novice warrior.

Other than that, there is no detection involved in blind-fighting at all.

Blind fighting is about intuition as well, and listening to movements or voice or whatever.

Blind fighting is for when you are blind. In most sandstorms, you are not blind. You still have enough visibility to see one-two rooms ahead. Bad idea.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Cegar"Blind fighting is for when you are blind. In most sandstorms, you are not blind. You still have enough visibility to see one-two rooms ahead. Bad idea.

Blind fighting can easily apply when your vision is hinder, which fighting in a sandstorm that has sands hitting you hard enough to rip flesh should do. Sure you could still see one room away but moving around in all direction attempting to strike and avoid strikes yourself, your going to get sand in your eyes and probably wont have time, to let your guard down completely to wipe it off or even close your eyes as it hits, it really is a skill.

Quote from: "Dresan"
Quote from: "Cegar"Blind fighting is for when you are blind. In most sandstorms, you are not blind. You still have enough visibility to see one-two rooms ahead. Bad idea.

Blind fighting can easily apply when your vision is hinder, which fighting in a sandstorm that has sands hitting you hard enough to rip flesh should do. Sure you could still see one room away but moving around in all direction attempting to strike and avoid strikes yourself, your going to get sand in your eyes and probably wont have time, to let your guard down completely to wipe it off or even close your eyes as it hits, it really is a skill.

When a sandstorm is moving fast enough that it can rend flesh, then you are unable to see. It isn't like those kinds of storms are common everywhere in the known world. This isn't Dune. In most storms, you can still see for a long, long ways. Also true of quite a few small sandstorms in the real world. Anyway, like I said, blind fighting is for when you are blind. You're not blind in all sandstorms. You are blind in some sandstorms. It's used for those, because you're blind. It isn't used for the others, because you aren't blind, and the visibility isn't hindered to the point where you would have to use the skills associated with blind fighting.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Quote from: "Cegar"When a sandstorm is moving fast enough that it can rend flesh, then you are unable to see. It isn't like those kinds of storms are common everywhere in the known world. This isn't Dune. In most storms, you can still see for a long, long ways. Also true of quite a few small sandstorms in the real world. Anyway, like I said, blind fighting is for when you are blind. You're not blind in all sandstorms. You are blind in some sandstorms. It's used for those, because you're blind. It isn't used for the others, because you aren't blind, and the visibility isn't hindered to the point where you would have to use the skills associated with blind fighting.

I think your missing the point, the idea suggests that during sandstorms while not completely blind, you sight is hindered and therefore it should be harder to fight. Blind fighting skill code wise already accounts for this fact so it can be applied to these other situations to some degree. Your focusing too much on the name of the skill, it could easily be called something else and applied to more then just one situation.

No, I'm not missing the point. I know what blind fighting applies to. It's called blind fighting because it is for when you are blind and fighting.

QuoteBlind Fighting is a skill that is passively used when in situations where you cannot see your opponent. Warriors, due to their great battle prowess learn how to sense their opponent and what they will do through years of practice. Rangers and Assassins learn to attune their acute senses to help them figure out where their enemy is.

Blind fighting gives you the ability to return attacks against foes you cannot see. This is not an easy skill to master. Even the most adept master is still worse off fighting blind than without.

I believe that I understand the skill quite well. It's used for fighting opponents you can't see. You can still see in most sandstorms, so it isn't used. Yes, sand in your face is a hindrance, but you can still see your opponent just fine.

You could close your eyes or blindfold yourself to be exceptionally hardcore about the mattter.

Let's look at it a different way.

Blind fighting mostly uses hearing as a substitute for sight, because smell isn't directional enough for most people and with touch, you're already too late.

In a sandstorm, especially one blowing hard enough to hinder visibility, do you REALLY think you'll be able to hear well enough to detect t he rustling of an opponent's clothes or the swinging of his weapons? I realize his clothes WILL be flapping, but yours will be too, and the screaming sand would, at best, throw you off.

Now, I'm not advocating that blind-fighting be taken out of its position of use during literally blinding sandstorms. While it realistically would be, I bow to playability in this issue. Let blind fighting be for when people are blind.

However, expanding its use during sandstorms just highlights the unrealism.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

It is not always the sound.  When you are in the storm, you are blocking the sands in one direction.  And you are not totally in the darkness.  Your visibility is reduced, but not negated totally.  You would see a blur of move,  a rough figure.  The blindfighting skill here would let you make an educated guess of where your opponent is going to attack.  
I don't think it is unrealistic at all.