When the emotive art goes bad...

Started by Vesperas, August 16, 2006, 01:00:51 AM

Quote from: "LoD"Easier to Read

The tall, muscular man steps forward with his right foot, the string of his dusty boot catching on a bone hook protruding from a plain baobab chest.

That was beautiful LoD.  The above is my standard way of emoting.  I haven't had anybody, from what I have seen, become frustrated with my style.  The only problem I have is getting too into the scene and mistyping the keyword (i.e. ~chset instead of ~chest).  So I then begin typing the next command, overwriting what I had typed before and am then forced to copy and paste what was echoed to my client, make the necessary adjustments and then spew it out again.  If I have two keywords off, I repeat the process.  That tacks on extra seconds that the other person is forced to wait through.

Yeah, I think it comes down to the fact that different people have different styles, and also different tastes in what they like to see from fellow players.

There isn't a right way to do it, and no one is going to please everyone.

Quote from: "Vesperas"
Does anyone think it would ever be appropriate to ask another player to 'tone it down'?

I don't think so.  Just as it wouldn't be appropriate to ask someone to flesh their emotes out more.  

The suggested idea to use the player feedback form sounds like a better approach.

I can only think of one time when an emoting style became really frustrating to me.  I had a character trying to get a job and the other player was taking such a long time with entering their very long emotes.  It just took so long for the scene to progress anywhere at all, but it was only that one time.   And that was years ago now.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I don't even think that "Feedback" is reasonable for someone who emotes too much (whatever that means).

Feedback good for helping people figure out they need to emote something, but otherwise, what the hell - at least the player is making the effort.

Even in regard to the feedback tool - how to use it?  I recently saw someone go this:  e;e;e;n;n;open door;close door;n;e;n;draw sword;kill dummy;
<watching for about five minutes of no emote combat with a dummy and no additional attacks other than with sword>

Do I send feedback on his short desc?  

Ah, when I see stuff like that I just usually wish all He, the so-and-so dude needs to learn to emote.

Dunno if that's appropriate either, but how do I target a pc when I don't know his name for the feedback tool?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I'm fairly certain that you can use the sdesc. Since there can technically be two or more people with the same sdesc, include his/her clan, since it seems like you're in the same one. "The tall, short man of clan Knights of the Brown Ring" would work.
b]YB <3[/b]

While I don't think we should go about policing each other, I definitely think it is a consideration issue. LoD's post showed a very, very good example of how to do it well, so long as you are a fast enough typist to pull it off before twelve people inform you that your shoe is caught. Personally, I like simple, but descriptive emotes. I'm not the best at it, but I do try.

I have only seen a couple of PCs with emoting styles that drove me up the wall. I've only been in a situation to interact with one for an extended period of time. The emotes were huge, contained giant, sometimes glaringly misused or subjective words. It was very annoying, but, I will say on behalf of that player, that I know s/he was just trying their best to be descriptive and interesting, and s/he was a fast enough typist that I didn't have to sit and wait for five minutes for a strangely worded nod.

I think, when you're put in a situation like this, it is important to try to see from the other player's eyes. For a while, this drove me batshit crazy, but, as I said, I realized they were just doing their best. Personally, I think it is bad writing, plain and simple. Well, not everyone is a good writer. Generally, unnecessary wording and such is telltale of bad writing trying to be good writing, and I appreciate everyone's efforts to add to the game. And, hey, underneath the emoting style that I was focusing on for so long was a pretty damn good roleplayer with an interesting character. Go figure.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

After hesitating for a moment, a look of uncertainty on her features, the tall, short woman tilts her head forward in solemn agreement, the skin of her neck creasing and revealing soft wrinkles as she holds her head bowed for a few seconds, the soft Nekrete wind stirring her silver-silken hair before she rises her head again.

An example of where I think it's too much, especially if the emoter has kept a group of people waiting for 5 minutes while typing.
b]YB <3[/b]

I agree that it's way too long and involved, but also that this is something that's up to the player rather than something I'd want to see policed.  Hopefully we all learn from watching each other and reading discussions like this one.

I think that we see less of Hymwen's example than we see of no emoting.
If we're going to focus on "correcting" emotes, I would rather we focus on those who don't over those who do too much.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"I think that we see less of Hymwen's example than we see of no emoting.
If we're going to focus on "correcting" emotes, I would rather we focus on those who don't over those who do too much.

True, but that's not the topic :)
b]YB <3[/b]

Naatok the Naughty Monkey sez:

If you don't like a character's emote or lack thereof.....

KILL THEM!!!   :twisted:

But seriously, I have to agree and hope that these sorts of threads (threats?  naaah!  *cackle*) will help to guide people in a more easygoing style of emoting.  Although overly 'flourishing' emotes can be annoying, I like to remind myself 'Hey!  At least they're bringing a character to some semblance of life!'

I find it is often better to give two or three emotes back to back if you're trying to show a certain level of detail (I do so only when I feel it is necessary to fully portray a gesture, series of gestures, mood or series of moods that happen over time, but a few seconds rather than moments).

Ugh, that was long-winded.  Whew!

I hope that makes sense.  It doesn't to me, but then again, I'm easily confused.  Or....is that amused?  Hmmmmn.

:lol:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

The only thing that really bothers me (aside from using superobscure words, or just flat out making up words) is when it takes five emotes that length to do a simple thing, such as walking down a flight of stairs.

Unless, of course, you get attacked a few times on your way down the staircase, and have to stop each time to defend yourself...
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Ahhh, for all this talk of brevity in emotes, and the lot of you can't use the same consideration in your posts.  Geez.   :wink:
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

This has just been another one of those special pet-peeves for me that justs sticks with me no matter what until I get it off my chest.  I don't think I would ever seriously try to go 'ooc d00d, stop that!'

I'm not trying to bring the players' roleplay quality into question (it was always wonderful) or complain about text on a text game.  I just really wanted to bring up something for consideration.

It's just plain difficult reading through 20-30-word emotes trying to discern the action and targets over and over again if you are tired, momentarily distracted, or in a busy room.

But yeah, I've seen on two or three occurances, all on and with different PCs in different areas of the game, where I'd see emotes VERY similar to Hymwen's example thrown out for every single action to PC made.  Maybe this just gave me the impression that were a larger number of players doing it.

People emote to explain their surroundings and environment in detail.  I think this opinion is being expressed from some OOC annoyance for whatever reason instead of appreciating the players that put forth the effort to emote each thing they do in detail so that people are aware of the person staring blankly and wearily or chattering and bantering eccentrically.  Technically sitting in this tavern you can see or someone can see every little thing the person does every time they adjust in their chair and gesture with their hand.

If you don't like reading emotes then perhaps this isn't the game for you?  But don't discourage other players from expressing themselves through part of the foundation of Armageddon.  Emoting doesn't equal RP but the game sure would be crappy without it.  I can't believe someone just made a thread condoning more simplified emotes.  Isn't that a step backwards?

BTW- If someone told me to tone it down, I would wish up about it, who are you to tell me how to emote I don't play Armageddon based on other player's preferences to how much, and how I should emote.  If you don't want to read the emotes don't read them or just don't play and be oblivious to that person's actions.

Bebop, noone has suggested to actually ooc to someone to tone down emotes.  However, there is such a thing as overly descriptive in a normal emote.  Some of that stuff should go into hemotes now, for example.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Bebop, noone has suggested to actually ooc to someone to tone down emotes.

But wasn't that the question in the original post?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Not exactly.  Vesperas asked if it would be okay to do so...and noone has said yes, have they?

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

No, I don't think anyone has.  I just thought that Bebop was responding to the original question.

I still have big problems with hemote. I never can think of a way to use it succesfully, let alone remember it. Don't think I've used it once with my latest character.

Quote from: "Bebop"If you don't like reading emotes then perhaps this isn't the game for you?  But don't discourage other players from expressing themselves through part of the foundation of Armageddon.  Emoting doesn't equal RP but the game sure would be crappy without it.  I can't believe someone just made a thread condoning more simplified emotes.  Isn't that a step backwards?

I don't now that anyone has suggested or condoned a decrease in the quality of emotes, but commented on the format.  You're taking a pretty personal response to this thread in suggesting that the people who don't enjoy four line emotes because they're cumbersome should find another game?

Quantity does not equal quality, and while the bulk of these small novellas scrolling across my screen are well written, the format is cumbersome in this environment.  Main descriptions, room descriptions, object descriptions are all static.  They aren't changing.  They don't describe something that is specific to you or your character.

Power emotes, however, might involve your character or your character's attention.  And while I don't think anyone is saying they are "bad RP", I think what is being asked for is some consideration to be given to the format of the emote.

Taking Hymwen's example:

After hesitating for a moment, a look of uncertainty on her features, the tall, short woman tilts her head forward in solemn agreement, the skin of her neck creasing and revealing soft wrinkles as she holds her head bowed for a few seconds, the soft Nekrete wind stirring her silver-silken hair before she rises her head again.

Might be better received as:

A look of uncertainy on fer features, the tall, short woman hesitates for a moment.

The tall, short woman tilts her head forward in solemn agreement, the skin of her neck creasing and revealing soft wrinkles as she holds her head bowed for a few seconds.

The soft Nekrete wind stirrs her silver-silken hair as the tall, short woman raises her head.

This breaks the actions up into pieces rather than one "power clump" of linked activities.  The format makes it easier to react to and interpret for the rest of the audience.  In this case, they might not have acted differently either way it was presented, but let's look at another example:

Thrusting his chair our sharply behind him, the swarthy, scarred man slaps a heavy palm to the top of his wooden table and rises with a furious expression, his slender hand closing about the smooth grip of his ivory-hilted bone longsword and sliding it free from its leather scabbard as he stalks through the crowd toward the short, broad-shouldered dwarf.

There are important and independant actions to be seen here:

:arrow: Rising from his table furiously.
:arrow: Drawing his sword.
:arrow: Stalking toward someone with apparently malicious intent.

Each of these might warrant a different reaction from the crowd (or individual), whom might like a chance to emote their reaction.  Taken as a block, however, the person emoting has removed the ability for those around them to react to any one part of the action.  They have to accept this entire chain of events as the sum total rather than the individual actions they represent.

-LoD

After further thought I have to agree that shorter emotes are best in some situations.

For example with a group out on patrol (life-threatening situation) I would want the players to use short, concise emotes and would do so myself.

That said, leading said group, I would stop every few rooms and emote something two or three lines long about the weather, the kanks, the environment and my character's (or the groups) place in it.

I believe San said it once (awhile ago) that emotes are awesome when they are less about personal gratification (how beautiful your character is, how awesome your character is) and more about the environment - about the world.

I suppose doing this (while also communicating your character's state) consistently with one or two line emotes is far better than reams of self-masturbatory emoting.

QuoteDoes anyone think it would ever be appropriate to ask another player to 'tone it down'?

Sure, but be prepared for a "kiss my ass" :)
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Quote from: "ThirdEye"I still have big problems with hemote. I never can think of a way to use it succesfully, let alone remember it. Don't think I've used it once with my latest character.

I would use it for any action that is not going to draw attention to you from anyone that is not watching you (or just highly observant).  Anything from scratching your nose to a nervous twitch of your eye.  Anything you can think of that fits that criteria.

Krath bless hemote/semote.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

I dunno if scratching your nose is really hemote worthy.  I mean, if I happen to glance at you randomly, I should be able to see this.

H (idden) Emote is for when you wish to emote and it _wouldn't_ be seen by someone else because they are normally _unable_ to observe it.

At least that's my understanding of it.

I could be talking outta my butt here, 'cause I just got back from the company golf outing, drank many beers and have a huge sunburn on my face.

:-D

Examples of things I have done with semote and hemote.

-Semote, for use when someone can't see you
(while invisible and flying)
> sem floats along silently, gaze roaming the red sand about him.

> sem floats motionless in the air as his gaze tracks %figure path.

-Hemote, for when you are doing something subtle

> hem shivers at %templar approach.

> hem stays motionless except for a light tapping of one finger on the side of his leg during %lord speaking.