Building blocks

Started by Anonymous kank with wings, August 11, 2006, 04:45:38 AM

If this is already in the game, please forgive the redundancy.

I'd like to propose that simple stone building blocks be added to the many things that an accomplished stonecarver can create.

Take a large chunk of some rock, and square it to a "yellow sandstone building block", a "granite building block" and so forth. It would take some skill, since it's necessary to achieve precise dimensions for a tight fit with other blocks.

This would open the door to let interested buyers accumulate the building blocks and, eventually, other skilled workers (builders) use them to actually construct such items as hovels, houses, walls, watchtowers, porticos, pyramids, even rough statues which could then be refined.

Building could go through several stages. It would take a1 bricks to reach the first stage, then a2 bricks plus the first stage to reach the second stage, and so on, just like a series of crafting steps.

But that could wait for later. Just having the bricks in game would be a useful device, I believe.

This is a really good idea.  Submit the crafting recipes and put your stamp on the world or post in the submissions forum and ask for help if you don't think you can manage/not upto it/want some advice.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Well, its this sort of thing that people seem to overlook in the quest for new weapons and stuff..

Making mundane things like bricks and trusses and the likes and selling them to the State or house Buildlotsofstuff is a fine thing to encourage. As a knock on it can make for great RP based around organizing a work crew to go out to the Mekillot's elbow and build a watch tower.

Just as an example.

I like it.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

This is definitely a good idea, IMO.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

*nod nod nod* I like it.

People should be able to maintain their own individual lives better, more commoner culture.

Inviting friends over for a few weeks to raise a small hovel, relying on a small amount of crops, PC's dying away and leaving abandoned homes.  Little birth and mating ceremonies, lots in the city that people can buy and begin to try and raise shop or build a home.

The commoner life needs more intricacies that lie less on the focus on their guild skills.  Make an assassin, become a bad ass assassin.

What if you could make an assassin and actually build up his life better and offer him other choices, to where he might not end up an assassin, just like IRL people end up living simpler lives instead of ones of fame that they once dreamed of but they are still content with that.  Maybe potential badass assassin just ends up chipping stone and being an ear for someone while trying to get a small home or a few crops for himself and a mate to rely on.  Then you would see alot more of that struggling everyday PC.  Some people don't like to play simple folks, but I think it would definitely make the world more intricate and commoner appealing.

Between being a rouge mage and RPing alone and having the chance to build up a house, raise, crops or build I think I would definitely prefer to play a commoner.

Hooray for bricks!  This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time.

Bricks would be cool, but let's not have them end up like wagonwheels and axles.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I think there should be a requirement for wagon wheels etc for wagon yards, house wagoneers and the like. Same with bricks.. there is a demand and once it is met, you are just making big, heavy and otherwise useless things.

Not many folks will put up with Joe woodcarver making a billion wagon wheels when the House needs two billion spars for making ladders to Lirathu.

That all being said, I am going to ap subclass peon.. speciality brick baker.

craft pech clay form into a clay interior brick

if we can build wagons, i say hey why not. houses too!
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Quote from: "Manhattan"if we can build wagons, i say hey why not. houses too!

I'd hate to see the wilderness populated anymore than it is.  On the flip-side, fringe settlements around major cities would be nice.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

I don't see a problem with unneeded bricks, because walls continuously need repair.  Bricks are also used for outdoor walls/fences, boundary markers, and to create protected, raised garden beds.  Combine them with planks and you've got the makings of basic shelves, and other crappy furniture.   :P   The market for loose bricks has to be bigger than the market for spiral carved incense burners.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "EonBlueApocalypse"
Quote from: "Manhattan"if we can build wagons, i say hey why not. houses too!

I'd hate to see the wilderness populated anymore than it is.  On the flip-side, fringe settlements around major cities would be nice.

Progress, progress and more reasons to attract players and thusly more rooms.  It's a slippery slope.  As my friend Attana would do: *boogies*

Quote from: "EonBlueApocalypse"I'd hate to see the wilderness populated anymore than it is.  On the flip-side, fringe settlements around major cities would be nice.

You would either be close enough to a city to get  food and water every few days, be rich enough to have people hual it out there for you and enough guards to protect you.

Mudbricks are a thing almost anyone could make. Then I'll have a use for the slaves of war I capture. They will build their own mudbrick hovels and then they can build mudbrick walls and herd...my herds.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I love it...I suggest this for 2.Arm...this would also work well with the fortifications idea...
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Wow. Necro post.

But it's still a good idea.

I'd like to see it in Arm 2.0.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game