Accents...

Started by Beux, August 08, 2006, 06:14:12 AM

I always imagine Zalanthian accents, well - the city ones, to be vagualy British (because well...WE DO have the best common good-for-nothing accents), like pikey, scottish, cockney etc...

but I should I be thinking more along the lines of islamic type accents/languages, or romance languages, instead of brit dialects? Considering it's a desert-world? (I do usually think islamic/african-tribal when I think of tribes...but not the cities).

I'm thinking it'd be hard to compare accents. Considering they aren't speaking even remotely the same languages.
21sters Unite!

Personally, I'd love to see some differentiation among the playerbase in North/South/Luir's/Other language patterns that makes them more distinct than just the code accent.

Like the class differentiations in British society that make "I'm gonna head to the loo" different from "I need to use the toilet" which is different from "I am going to use the bathroom" which is different from the American "I am going to go to the restroom."

A set of words or phrasings that is preferred in one geography versus the other.  Other than that, I haven't really thought about -how- the accents would sound.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Quote from: "Djarjak"
Like the class differentiations in British society that make "I'm gonna head to the loo" different from "I need to use the toilet"

You mean: "Awight mate, give us a fuckin' minute will yeh, I've got t'take a fuckin' slash."

Now -thats- British.  :wink:  And it kinda reminds me of Zalanthas.

But yes, I totally know what you mean, I'd kinda like to see northern/southern collequialisms and slang, but also differences in dialects. It would be fun with phoenetics. For example:

English: I don't know what yer on about mate.

Scottish: Ah dunnae ken what yeh oan aboot.

But that would be hard to develop on Arm, unless someone up high made a decision and provided documention, or the entire populace of the city agreed OOC'ly on how an accent would be sounded phoenetically and what differences in dialect would be used, or the staff related certain cities to certain RL places.

Making your own dialects is fine and good.  All I ask is that if you do, it is still readable.  I've come across a few PCs in my time whose "accents" were so "thick" that I couldn't understand what I was reading.

But then if you want to talk like a Pikey and be difficult to understand as part of your character concept, that could be fun also.  "Yeh loik dags?"
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

There are so many things that have been coordinated ICly that are part of Tuluk culture, I think you might be astounded.

Really, all this would take is for someone to start it and start questioning other people ICly who didn't.

If it's a good trend, it'd stick. Honestly, documentation comes after cultural changes in a lot of cases.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

I have to say, the language style in Tuluk and Allanak is vastly different in every caste.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

well most of my characters are themed on Islamic or mediteranian (i propably misspelled that word so dont get pissed) people or Aielman from the wheel of time series and i try to use some of there customs and accents whenever i can. but im a dumbass so i propably mess thoughs up.

ps. I LIKE TO RAMBLE!!!
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Quote from: "askaran"Aielman from the wheel of time series!

Haha, yeah this whole game reminds me of the Aiel's wasteland desert homeland.  Where everything is poisionus (oh god that spelling looks terrible, oh well) and water is a very valuable and contested resource.

Good thing there's no annoying Carn'a'carn though.

Shaido FTW!
razy Old Man
My axe is my buddy,
We both cry with the trees,
Don't take us for a chump,
Or you'll be hoppin' on a stump.

Quote from: "cownosecat"
Quote from: "askaran"Aielman from the wheel of time series!

Haha, yeah this whole game reminds me of the Aiel's wasteland desert homeland.  Where everything is poisionus (oh god that spelling looks terrible, oh well) and water is a very valuable and contested resource.

Good thing there's no annoying Carn'a'carn though.

Shaido FTW!

Shaido are punks, only reason I like them is because Rand is a sissy.
Also I am angry that the series may not end now since Robert Jordan got sick.
ishenko79: yeah, well, welcome to the [explicit deleted]ed up world of the now.

I stopped reading WOT series after the 4th book. I couldn't stand Egwene and Nynave or whatever they were called.

Jordan is a punkass:
Ash'aman (a shaman)
Tarmon Gaidon (armageddon)
oosquai (whiskey)
algode (algodón is spanish for cotton - comes from Latin)

But I still read the whole series probably about 10 times from start to finish.  I hope he doesn't die before book 13.  Or is it book 12?  I can't remember.  I think it's 12.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Oh ya and the Aiel?  Um...Frank Herbert is having an aneurysm right now.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Yes, and most every other fantasy book can be tied into stuff that was written by JRR Tolkien, and to innumerable numbers of preceding books. It happens.

As far as the going to the bathroom bit ... You TOTALLY left out the america, j0 gotta piss.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "Beux"I always imagine Zalanthian accents, well - the city ones, to be vagualy British (because well...WE DO have the best common good-for-nothing accents), like pikey, scottish, cockney etc...

I always thought of Zalanthian accents (particularly Sirihish, I guess) to be like Irish or British accents, what with all the "Aye" and "me" and "mate"... Aye, me mate... sounds kind of piratey.  What's fun is looking up, on google, slang for those cultures and using them (as long as they could apply to Zalanthas).

Like: Sod off. Aw, crumbs! Oy. Shite.... (probably there's a whole whack more).
For those regarded as warriors, when engaged in combat
The vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern.
Suppress all human emotion and compassion.
Kill whoever stands in thy way...