Coordinates for every room

Started by Anonymous kank with wings, August 03, 2006, 09:56:25 PM

Anonymous kankses with wingses drop by when gamses are down.

Arm is close to, just about, nearly, almost at the point where coordinates could be assigned to each room.

It fits a grid nearly everwhere.

The city 'rooms' are smaller than the 'outdoors' rooms, which is fine. All that needs to be defined is the relative scale.

Some indoor rooms are overly large to be realistic according to the city street scale. This could be addressed as I described in an earlier post, but even if not, it can be lived with.

With a known, defined set of cordinates for each room, wonderful things become possible. Like implementing truly distance-based effects.

I won't go into details. I just wrote this to give the naysayers something to do.  :lol:

I'm not going to naysay.

I'm just going to say 'Uhhh... no.'

And do you know why there wouldn't be coordinates?

Cartography isn't that advanced in Zalanthas.

"Lord Templar, I have this map of this awesome mine, it's at coordinates blah and blah"

"Oh, and is this the map?  And these little marks are the... coordinates?"

"Yes, Lord Templar."

"Thankyou.  You are condemned of treason for knowing how to write."

Dude, c'mon, there's no real reason why there would be coords IC or OOC for armag.  OOC'ly it works just fine.  IC'ly they wouldn't be there.

Of course, if you wanted to make a literate krathian who wandered the entire world burning coordinates into the side of any huge rock face, then I fully encourage you.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Uh, I do believe he was talking about coords in an OOC sense.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Edit:  Hey, I can't read!
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

I played on a MUD that has coordinates for about 6 years.  Everything was realistically distanced, travel skills over terrain had a use, different people had different 'speeds' they were able to reach and maintain (just like in real life).  There wasn't the surprise insta-bash, or the sneak-in-backstab.  You had to be within distance of an object to use it.  Travelling in the wilderness was realistic -- it would take a minute or two to leave one 'square' and get to the other, but at the same time, you could stop, do other activities while walking, etc.

It was great.

For that MUD.

I would NEVER want something like this in Armageddon:  it would hinder a lot of realism rather than support it.

I come to this belief because of some major differences into the mentalities of the playerbases.  On Armageddon, the players are typically much more imaginative and already roleplay distances realistically, while at the same time using the fact there isn't an annoying coordinate system to set up areas (think, drop-descs).

As far as I'm concerned, enough players know better than to insta-kill other PCs without the game needed coded nanny-devices.  While this isn't always true, I feel that there is certain field of karma within this game (and I'm not talking about the staff's "trust points") that will always give a player their just rewards if they step out of bounds OOCly.

This other game, in comparison, had an extremely unimaginative PK mentality.  Roleplay consisted of talking about what level your crafting skill was at, and who you were going to kill next.  The coordinate system basically added a buffer field for the very few TRYING to roleplay -- it allowed them the chance to run away from the many "mass psychotic killers" if they were tall enough and their speed stat good enough (yes, travel speed was partially dependant on HEIGHT, of all things).

It would just be excessive in Armageddon -- on top of the fact that it would be a shitload of coding to do.  Everything would have to re-placed into the game after a conversion.  Mmm.. floating furniture.

Oh gosh, that sounds just great. [/snark]

We already have ranged interroom effects.

I don't care if a book is behind a table over the floor near the western wall, and I don't want to have to type 3 different commands to 'get' something off the damn ground.  If I want my PC to get a book off the ground, I just want to type 'get book' or maybe 'get book (walking over to it and picking it up).

I don't want to approach, or maneuver, or anything else.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there are enough reasons to do massive amounts of typing in armag, from my standards.

After going back and checking over what OP wrote, I agree that it would be awesome to have a grid system for true long range travel and such.

But the moment I have to 'approach' any damn thing on the game is the moment where I go out and buy myself an XBox7015 or whatever and say goodbye to Arm.

Oh, and coded nut scratching would probably do it too.  If I had to codedly scratch my nuts, I'd go find another place to host my vnads.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

So what would a coordinate system on a world scale accomplish?  Like, what types of affects?
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

If the staff thinks this is do-able and would bring in a lot of Cool Things to the game, great.

Since it would be invisible from the player side, I have nothing more to add.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Nope, I wasn't proposing that some command report to players that "you are standing at 32.8282x -94.3312y 0.123z". It would be hidden in the code.

It wouldn't be so fine tuned that every object had a set of coordinates. Just the rooms they're in. Then, for example, if there is an explosion, people up to 20 meters away would be temporarily deafened, people up to 50 meters away would have ringing ears for a time, people up to 100m away would hear an enormous bang, people up to 200m away would hear a great bang, and so forth.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-- X