Human weight range

Started by Hymwen, July 17, 2006, 06:25:49 PM

Is it just me, or is the weight range for human PCs a bit odd? 6-9 ten-stones, or 60-90kg (or roughly 120-180 pounds)... that means that a person cannot be truly thin (unless it's a max height person with minimum weight) or truly fat. For a human in the short end of the height scale, 60kg is a fair amount, definitely not what I'd call thin, and for someone who wants to be very tall and also fat, 90kg isn't a whole lot to go with. I'm not sure how it is for other races, I play humans almost exclusively, but I find it strange that in a world like Zalanthas, where so many people starve and others are born to live in grotesque excess, it's not codedly possible to be emaciated or obese.
b]YB <3[/b]

Yes, a little more customization with the height and weight wouldn't be a bad thing. But then again, if you want an abnormal person, the Imms are pretty cool with doing these things for you. I've had some BIG ass humans, and they never really batted an eye-lash at the request.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The range does seem a little narrow.  I wouldn't mind seeing a little extra room on both ends.

I also wish it went in increments of one stone.  Don't ask me why it bugs me so much, but if height goes up in increments of one inch, why not let weight be in units of stones?  It just seems weird to me that humans have a choice of exactly four different weights: 60, 70, 80, or 90 stones.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I'd also like to see increments of one stone, or at least 5. I think height is fine as it is. I just don't like the thought of having to request to get a weight that is perfectly realistic for a character, say a 'rinther who has lived their entire life on the edge of starvation.

40-120kg seems more suitable. Elves are almost always thin and dwarves are almost always bulky, but humans shouldn't have such a narrow range. As much as I hate to say it (and you hate to hear it) I like the SoI way better - instead of a number, you can pick between, say... emaciated, thin, normal, hefty and obese, and people would then see that instead of "they weigh slightly less than you" which you then have to compare to their height to vaguely determine their build.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"I think height is fine as it is.

I'd like to see the lower limit of height go down to at least 60 inches.  

In real life I'm 65 inches tall, and not regarded as a short person.  Since the shortest a human can be in Zalanthas is 62 inches, 65 inches would be short.  Hate it.

I think the problem may be that the game norms were initially set by boys, for boys.  So all Zalanthans are forced into the normal range for American males.  Given the physical equality of the sexes in Zalanthas there is no reason for males to be taller than females, but that doesn't mean that norms would default to American Male norms.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I think the problem may be that the game norms were initially set by boys, for boys.  So all Zalanthans are forced into the normal range for American males.  Given the physical equality of the sexes in Zalanthas there is no reason for males to be taller than females, but that doesn't mean that norms would default to American Male norms.

Just because males and females are treated in an identical fashion in Zalanthas doesn't mean they are identical physically, unless that's already been stated before and I'm blind. Which is likely the case, so, moving on...

As for heights and weights, I imagine a human on Zalanthas would be a bit larger overall that a real-life counterpart, considering how they are supposed to be stronger and more resiliant than us. A wider range could be nice, but that ought to be taken into account.

Quote from: "Guido"
Just because males and females are treated in an identical fashion in Zalanthas doesn't mean they are identical physically, unless that's already been stated before and I'm blind. Which is likely the case, so, moving on...

That has been stated before. Even with elves.

-Ken

I figure that on a world where dwarves and elves, have evolved/been made, human's don't have as much variance in their height. After all IRL humans can be as short as a Zalanthan dwarf (although I believe only because of a genetic disease(?)) but I wouldn't want that range to exist in game.

Although having said that it certainly wouldn't hurt to open up the ranges a little bit more with height and a bit more with weight. I tend to do "6.2" as my weight in ten-stone. Is that stored exactly? Does it just round it down? Round it up or down?

I'm a little confused. The weights in stones? When you talk about stones you mean 14 lbs to the stone? Therefore 6 stone...is well...pretty skinny right down to the height of about 5ft. 6 stone is 84 lbs......but there should probably be more scope for higher weights...I can see what you mean about not really being fat.

More weight increments would mean we'd need more sizes for clothing and armor though, right?

Quote from: "Beux"I'm a little confused. The weights in stones? When you talk about stones you mean 14 lbs to the stone?

Quote from: "Armageddon document about measurement"All masses are measured in stones. [Stones are relatively equivalent to a kilogram.] Larger masses, in order to avoid using too many counting markers, have become called in five-stone, ten-stone, and hundred-stone. People are typically measured in ten-stone while objects are usually measured in stone.

EDITed to add: I agree with Hymwen, a little wider range would be nice.

I agree that 60 stones as a minimum is ridiculous - all the shorter charactetras are automatically at least chubby. Even a tall male can go below 60 kilograms and still live just fine - even if extremely skinny and starved-looking because they're seriously underweight. And that's what should be possible on arm, exspecially for rinthis and the like.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

How about we leave it as is and special app for 'unusual' height, weight or both?

Otherwise we will have even more seven foot, four hundred pound folk than we do now.

Quote from: "Tuannon"Otherwise we will have even more seven foot, four hundred pound folk than we do now.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the upper limits so much as the lower limits.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Hmm... How about making the height ranges differ if your character is male or female?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I thought Zalanthan males and females had the same physical qualities, apart from the very obvious bits.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"I thought Zalanthan males and females had the same physical qualities, apart from the very obvious bits.

Almost right. We're all hermaphrodites, they just forgot to mention it in the documentation.

Yeah, I'm with Hymwen...no differences based on gender, please.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Tuannon"How about we leave it as is and special app for 'unusual' height, weight or both?
What's so unusual about being 5'2 and skinny rather then pudgy?

Quote from: "Yokunama"Hmm... How about making the height ranges differ if your character is male or female?
Males and females are physically identical except for their sexual organs.