Sleeping in pubs.

Started by mangler, July 04, 2006, 03:37:56 PM

I was thinking back the other day, when i remembered being fairly new, and sleeping it what was called the, I quote "sleeping commons", I woke up, to find all my stuff gone, which led to me, being the noob i was, just throwing away that character, I cant remember how, it was years ago, but anyways, to get to the point, Isn't it a bit stupid to have a sleeping commons, where you basically cant sleep in, inless you want to loose all your gear. So I can imagine that this leads to people who say don't own am apartment, or are in a house, just going without sleep for weeks, even months, so woudn't it be good if there was some sort of room somwhere, where people could sleep, without having to worry about their belongings.
Someone says: I imagine the festivities have worn you thin... Well good. I plan on leading patrols over the next month, that would turn even your shriveled manhoods into sturdy poles of destruction.

This is a very good point.

A character who creates in Allanak finds himself in an area labelled a sleeping room, and the description specifcally says that it's safer than sleeping on the streets.

But of course, sleeping there is inviting every Tom, Dick, and Amos to rob you blind.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

When something like this happens I would recommend complaining through the request function, since this appears to be an abuse of the steal command.
Back from a long retirement

A player ignorant enough to sleep in the commons room of the Gaj is most likely a player who won't know what the request tool is, let alone that he'd be justified in complaining.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Well then good thing I enlightened everyone, hah!
Back from a long retirement

There are some things that are misleading to new players. The sleeping commons is one thing, and another is that tavern boards, while completely OOC, have ldescs such as "hangs above the bar" or "is nailed to the wall" or "propped up on a table", which leads newbies to believe that they are there as objects. I've often had to correct people OOCly and tell them how it works.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"There are some things that are misleading to new players. The sleeping commons is one thing, and another is that tavern boards, while completely OOC, have ldescs such as "hangs above the bar" or "is nailed to the wall" or "propped up on a table", which leads newbies to believe that they are there as objects. I've often had to correct people OOCly and tell them how it works.

I would really like to see all the bulletin boards ingame get a proper sdesc and ldesc like I've seen elsewhere - the "hawkers", the "caravan charts", etcetera.  In the taverns, it could be 'a few people gossiping at a table'.

I can't wait to see someone.. Emote starts reading the caravener's forehead.

:D
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Yesh, you don't actually sleep there.  You log out there and pretend you're sleeping.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Inn rooms would be nice, but some taverns have guards to watch the commons.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Yesh, you don't actually sleep there.  You log out there and pretend you're sleeping.

You should technically have the option to choose.  I'm sure this is not what you're saying, but you shouldn't have to log out because you're afraid if you actualy RP out sleeping in the commons, you will die or get everything stolen.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Aldiel"
Quote from: "Cuusardo"Yesh, you don't actually sleep there.  You log out there and pretend you're sleeping.

You should technically have the option to choose.  I'm sure this is not what you're saying, but you shouldn't have to log out because you're afraid if you actualy RP out sleeping in the commons, you will die or get everything stolen.

Yea, I wish there was a place where the poor commoners could sleep without getting what little they do have stolen off or the life taken from their persons.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Yea, I wish there was a place where the poor commoners could sleep without getting what little they do have stolen off or the life taken from their persons.

Then there's the mauled hunter who staggers in from the desert with no safe place to sleep off his wounds.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Security costs money.

But by the same vein, robbing somebody in a crowded sleeping quarters is pretty stupid. Maybe NPCs should be added to dormitory rooms to reflect that there are, in fact, people watching?
subdue thread
release thread pit

I play/played/knew/have known a character that tends to sleep in a rarely-used sleeping commons in a tavern, which contains a Templar.

Never stolen from once. I'd oft wished there were more elsewhere.

With the changes to steal, it is a little harder to rob a sleeping person blind now.

I would support making it extremely difficult to rob someone of anything but the smallest objects unnoticed in a sleeping commons, to reflect the number of people that are in there and would notice such a thing.

Quote from: "Dalmeth"
Quote from: "Yokunama"

Then there's the mauled hunter who staggers in from the desert with no safe place to sleep off his wounds.

There is nothing wrong with sleeping off wounds, unless the character marches directly back into the fray after obtaining full or enough HP.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"There is nothing wrong with sleeping off wounds, unless the character marches directly back into the fray after obtaining full or enough HP.

I wasn't saying there was something wrong, just providing a good example of when a commoner would need a safe place to sleep.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

QuoteWith the changes to steal, it is a little harder to rob a sleeping person blind now.

Uh...not in my experience.

The thing with steal is that it's an automatic success when someone is unconscious. By default a success doesn't tag you as a criminal. Someone can and will strip you naked and face no repercussions if you fall asleep or go unconscious in the streets.

Generally, the kind of people who sleep there have NOTHING that would be of value to a PC. However, the PCs that sleep there generally have backpacks full of veritable phat lewts.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

Quote from: "Kalden"
QuoteWith the changes to steal, it is a little harder to rob a sleeping person blind now.

Uh...not in my experience.

The thing with steal is that it's an automatic success when someone is unconscious. By default a success doesn't tag you as a criminal. Someone can and will strip you naked and face no repercussions if you fall asleep or go unconscious in the streets.

The sleeping person gets a "you feel a tugging in your clothes" echo, or something similar.
b]YB <3[/b]

Anyone ever hear stories of people staying in YMCAs?

Things get stolen. Lots and lots of things.

I agree that poor folk should have safer places to sleep, but a sleeping commons in some run down pub full of mercenaries, elves and sand pirates isn't going to be safe. In fact it's going to be a hell of a lot LESS safe than out in a busy street.

I think a fairly decent solution would be to not allow worn backpacks to be stolen from a sleeping person. Really, how are you going to achieve that?
b]YB <3[/b]

It happens to silly backpacking teenagers in Europe all the time. When you're out, you'll be amazed at what you don't feel. Anyway, one could easily cut the straps of the backpack if it were attached, but who the hell sleeps while wearing a backpack? More likely, the backpack will be used as a pillow or held on to. Either way, it's still easy to take.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

I know that when I'm sleeping, even the slightest breeze from the window could wake me up. I'm an incredibly light sleeper.  Someone manhandling (even gently) my clothing/pack off of me - well... it would never happen. Period. Unless I were drugged or something.

I think that anything hanging in your inventory should be stealable without question.

But, can't there be some sort of code implimented for stealing from people who are sleeping so that there is a chance (I'm not sure what it would be based on) of the victim (as Hymwen said) feeling someone tugging at their belongings?