The DEFINITIVE list of nouns that can be used in sdescs

Started by Sanvean, June 24, 2006, 08:02:17 PM

As an abbreviation for halfbreed, I think it is?
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Quote from: LoD on March 26, 2008, 01:18:51 PM

If there are specific words you have questions about, that don't generally fall into one of the categories that she mentions above, perhaps you could mention those?  However, it seems fairly plain to me what the motivations behind disallowing certain nouns has been in the past and likely remains today.

-LoD

Just so, LoD:  "elfess" and "dwarfess".  Perhaps they don't pass muster simply from sheer cumbersomeness?  While not particularly found of them personally, I can see some merit:  they definitively convey both race and sex, and don't seem nearly as jarring as, say, "dickens-whelp".
     I began to question the difference between "maid" and "maiden", but the former could too easily conflate profession with marital status (neither of which is appropriate for Arm., come to think of it).

Quote from: SanveanYou are welcome to special app a FORBIDDEN noun and we'll take a look.

Sanvean, you just made my day.   Somehow, I heard a booming, reverberating voice announcing the word FORBIDDEN when I read it.  :D
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote from: Southie on March 26, 2008, 08:37:39 PM
As an abbreviation for halfbreed, I think it is?
So, slang.   :P

Goes in the FORBIDDEN list with stumpy, longneck, chick, dude, etc.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 26, 2008, 07:56:46 PM
Quote from: Southie on March 26, 2008, 06:16:21 PM
Just curious, why is 'breed' unacceptable?

Maybe because it's not a noun at all.

beg to differ, but m-w.com disagrees with you, a search for 'breed' turns up a verb and a noun option:

breed 
Function:
    noun
Date:

1 : a group of usually domesticated animals or plants presumably related by descent from common ancestors and visibly similar in most characters

2 : a number of persons of the same stock

3 : class, kind <a new breed of athlete>

[Note: this is not a argument for or against 'breed' used in short-description, mainly just showing it is a noun]
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 26, 2008, 10:58:06 PM
D'oh!

Well... it's not a singular noun, then?

'tis a singular noun, but 'tis also collective, I think is what you really mean.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Alright, what is the story with dickens-whelp? I keep seeing it all around the place. Did the character have little crutch at least?

Quote from: Tisiphone on March 26, 2008, 11:05:59 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on March 26, 2008, 10:58:06 PM
D'oh!

Well... it's not a singular noun, then?

'tis a singular noun, but 'tis also collective, I think is what you really mean.
Probably.

I'm slow with the GDB but uh...yea, I don't find many nouns to be unacceptable for an sdesc because I'd rather you throw a word at me I've never seen before that makes me grab a dictionary and hope you don't backstab me while I'm flipping the pages (yes I still have a dictionary...i think) rather be running around as the tall muscular human. No offense, just bland to me (shrugs and hides)
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

Quote from: spicemustflow on March 27, 2008, 06:11:07 AM
Alright, what is the story with dickens-whelp? I keep seeing it all around the place. Did the character have little crutch at least?

It's from a Baobob comic.. which unfortunately doesn't seem to exist any longer. I tried to link you, honest.

Quote from: Bluefae on March 26, 2008, 08:39:44 PM
     Just so, LoD:  "elfess" and "dwarfess".  Perhaps they don't pass muster simply from sheer cumbersomeness?  While not particularly found of them personally, I can see some merit:  they definitively convey both race and sex, and don't seem nearly as jarring as, say, "dickens-whelp".

My own opinion would be that we don't have elfess or dwarfess for the same reason we don't have humaness.  Elf and Dwarf describe the race of the character, not the gender.  Some people may argue that it's unfair someone has to choose between being gender silent (the willowy, emerald-eyed elf) or chew up sdesc space with an obligatory gender noun (the willowy, emerald-eyed elf woman), but I think I would prefer either of those options to allowing strange gender-race nouns elfess, dwarfess, or giantess.

Halflingess, Githess, Muless -- if those don't look right to you, then elfess and dwarfess shouldn't either.

-LoD

Quote from: a strange shadow on March 27, 2008, 11:04:28 AM

It's from a Baobob comic.. which unfortunately doesn't seem to exist any longer. I tried to link you, honest.

Baobob the Kank?

I got them saved.. Somewhere, in a folder.. Lost in my arm massive files upon files of random file-ness...
Perhaps I can dig them up...
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: LoD on March 27, 2008, 11:51:47 AM
Some people may argue that it's unfair someone has to choose between being gender silent (the willowy, emerald-eyed elf) or chew up sdesc space with an obligatory gender noun (the willowy, emerald-eyed elf woman), but I think I would prefer either of those options to allowing strange gender-race nouns elfess, dwarfess, or giantess.

Probably you could get by with "the willowy, emerald-eyed [fe]male" for all the near-humanoids: human, elf, and half-elf.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on March 27, 2008, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: a strange shadow on March 27, 2008, 11:04:28 AM

Baobob the Kank?

I got them saved.. Somewhere, in a folder.. Lost in my arm massive files upon files of random file-ness...
Perhaps I can dig them up...

I've got ep1 to 22 saved. If you are extremely curious on seeing them spicemustflow?
hehe.. Silly newb dwarfs.

Perhaps MasterZ would send us copies of Baobab to be hosted on Ginka.

Breed came too close to slang.

"elfess" is not a word, it's a piece of idiocy. (Sorry, pet peeve, heh).

I agree that Elfess and Dwarfess just don't work but I would be remiss if I didn't stir the pot by citing the source of Giantess as being more than acceptable for almost seven centuries..

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
gi·ant·ess      /ˈdʒaɪəntɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[jahy-uhn-tis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.   an imaginary female being of human form but superhuman size, strength, etc.
2.   any very large woman.
[Origin: 1350–1400; ME geauntesse < OF. See giant, -ess]

And

Modern Language Association (MLA):
"giantess." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 28 Mar. 2008. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/giantess>.

QuoteI've got ep1 to 22 saved. If you are extremely curious on seeing them spicemustflow?
hehe.. Silly newb dwarfs.

Yeah, I'm curious, if it isn't too much trouble. Who made it? Is it funny?

Quote from: Sanvean on March 30, 2008, 03:43:19 PM
It's freaking hysterical.

I should put them up in a Thread for all to enjoy! Unless.. You simply wish for me to email them to you spicemustflow? Either way does not matter to me.

Giantess is legit

I would say keep boy and girl. So what if you have the petite, teal-eyed girl who's really a nilazi. Too bad if you don't kill it...evil in Zalanthas can exist in all sorts of forms. And players shouldn't hesistate to kill children in game, IMO, if its in character.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

But the minimum starting age is 13, I believe...which, properly, might be better territory for the much-despised "teen."
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I lament the loss of girl and boy. Teen and teenager are haltingly awkward in sdescs and evoke images of nubile lolitas and catamites which may not always be the most pertinent connotation to a character.

Quote from: Yam on March 31, 2008, 05:36:21 AM
I lament the loss of girl and boy. Teen and teenager are haltingly awkward in sdescs and evoke images of nubile lolitas and catamites which may not always be the most pertinent connotation to a character.

I agree, I felt like a perv playing a "teen". Anyway teen is too earthly a concept IMO, it reminds me of acne, masturbation and fights with my parents. I doubt anybody in Zalanthas gives a shit about your existential crisis and fear of girls and that is exactly what I think of when I see a teen in the game.

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on March 30, 2008, 04:11:11 PM
I should put them up in a Thread for all to enjoy! Unless.. You simply wish for me to email them to you spicemustflow? Either way does not matter to me.

Make a thread, why not. I'm sure more people would like to see it.

Quote from: Yam on March 31, 2008, 05:36:21 AM
I lament the loss of girl and boy.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yam, if 'teen' evokes images of catamites and nubile young girls, remind me not to live in your neighbourhood if I ever have children.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot