"The Game"

Started by Anonymous kank with wings, June 24, 2006, 05:11:06 PM

Seeing as Allanak is a city of circuses (but not bread), here is a concept which could liven Allanaki culture.

The basic idea is that "The Game" has two players, each a noble. Commoners participate by paying a small fee (10 sid?) for their own piece, which falls under the control of one of the two players. Each commoner receives a token that indicates his piece in the game.

The nobles then deploy their forces and battle it out, move by move. One move takes two weeks (a day in RL). The game can be suspended by preagreement for short periods, otherwise if a move is not completed in time by a noble, it is forfeited.

Pieces could include archers, foot soldiers, half-giants, sunback-mounted soldiers, maybe even something exotic like a tamed mekillot or two. Each would have its own strength and weakness.

As pieces make kills, they collect the tokens from around the necks of their fallen foes. At the end of "The Game" when one side is vanquished, a payout of 10 sid per token is made the commoner's piece has collected is made (if that piece has survived). "Heroes" with a large number of kills could be given a special prize to wear proudly for a while.

The board could be simple desert with an oasis at the center, or maybe the ruins of a fort. It would be up to the nobles to agree beforehand. There could be a running commentary of what is happening posted on the bulletin boards.

I like it.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Wait, what?  Are you talking about a board game or like... Zalanthan LARPing?

Sounds like LARPing, danger-style.

I like it.  It's a totally cool concept for those bloodthirsty commoners and sadistic nobles.  I can even see other nobles taking bets as to which commoner comes out of the game alive, so there'd be a stake in the game for nobles as well.  With some tweaking, this could be.. cool.

Make it an Arena match..  With players moving on an Izdari-styled board (Mats placed over the regular arena grounds).  When two characters (commoners, or slaves) move into the same square, they battle.  The winner gets the token, etc.  Nobles move players as they see fit, calling down directions and such.  

Or, is that not what you meant?
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"Make it an Arena match..  With players moving on an Izdari-styled board (Mats placed over the regular arena grounds).  When two characters (commoners, or slaves) move into the same square, they battle.  The winner gets the token, etc.  Nobles move players as they see fit, calling down directions and such.  

This sounds like a pretty cool concept. But, one thing I'd sort of like to see would be a Zalanthas version of 'The Running Man'. Criminals are released onto the streets and given a 10 hour head start before being chased by some of the most fucked up and badass 'hunters' that Allanak has to offer. Every day you live, you get 500 sid and if you live for a whole month, your freedom.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

I've done the running man type scenario as an rpt before. Sadly most pcs were too afraid to go chase the runners.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I don't quite understand it, but it sounds interesting.

Quote from: "I"
Quote from: "Sir Diealot"Make it an Arena match..  With players moving on an Izdari-styled board (Mats placed over the regular arena grounds).  When two characters (commoners, or slaves) move into the same square, they battle.  The winner gets the token, etc.  Nobles move players as they see fit, calling down directions and such.  

This sounds like a pretty cool concept. But, one thing I'd sort of like to see would be a Zalanthas version of 'The Running Man'. Criminals are released onto the streets and given a 10 hour head start before being chased by some of the most fucked up and badass 'hunters' that Allanak has to offer. Every day you live, you get 500 sid and if you live for a whole month, your freedom.

*drool*

Quote from: "Saphreal"I don't quite understand it, but it sounds interesting.

Here's the wikipedia definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Running_Man#Plot

It's been a while since I saw it so my explanation was a bit lacking.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

Quote from: "I"

I like the idea, but that might be a bit much.  A Zalananthan month is 231 Zalanthan days, so a 500 a day reward would end up being 115,500 sid for a winner.  I'd make it something like your freedom and 5000 or 10000 plus your freedom if you win, and nothing if you lose.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Adhira"I've done the running man type scenario as an rpt before. Sadly most pcs were too afraid to go chase the runners.

I think I participated in that RPT, it was fun.  I also broke the rules of my clan to participate, that may have held some PCs back who like me couldn't contact PC or NPC leaders beforehand.

Overall running man scenarios are naturally hard to do in Arm, the MUD is very flexible but some things just don't work out quite as well as you might hope them to.  I wholeheartedly support new game ideas though, even if they don't work amazingly well they're still damn fun to see from time to time.

I think the difference between the running man scenario and the game suggested here is that there are two teams, and everyone from one team is out to kill everyone from the other team - because if you survive and killed a few people, you'll get a nice reward in the end.

Like the idea, sounds like a thing that would fit great into Allanak nobility...
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: "Nao"I think the difference between the running man scenario and the game suggested here is that there are two teams, and everyone from one team is out to kill everyone from the other team - because if you survive and killed a few people, you'll get a nice reward in the end.

Like the idea, sounds like a thing that would fit great into Allanak nobility...
*Snicker* I can see Borsail's team Vs Oash's team... although it would mean that you have a 1 in 2 chance of dying  :?

Quote from: "John"*Snicker* I can see Borsail's team Vs Oash's team... although it would mean that you have a 1 in 2 chance of dying  :?

*grin* probably more than that, since even the loosing team is gonna kill a few people before they're all dead themselves..
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Enter The Game..

Log off for an IC month.

End up with cash!!
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)