Animal Hunts.

Started by Reito, June 12, 2006, 05:15:47 PM

Would it be possible to code in animals hunting other animals? Smaller ones, rather? Like, say a Sand-raptor tries to go after a gurth, or something. I was just thinking.. :/
Meh?
Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
C. S. Lewis

Some animals already hunt eachother.
b]YB <3[/b]

I think I saw three cases only today where it was obvious that it's already been coded.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

How do you know this doesn't exist already? I'd recommend a little exploring.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I've explored plenty.
Goodness.
Sorry.
:/
Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
C. S. Lewis

I've seen the bodies of aggressive animals piled high around this one animal that was one of the more dangerous out there.  These aggressive animals were always chasing game when it came their way.

Agressive animals do chase after other animals.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Okay!
Nevermind!
Goodness!
C. S. Lewis

Unfortunately, this isn't really hunting, it's just aggressive critters being aggressive to other critters that happen to live nearby.

Hunting is harder and more costly in terms of CPU, and we only bless animals hunting players with this great ability (as many of you no doubt know).

-- X

It isn't so much a hunt ability as the same sort of mechanism that guides Tomahawk missiles to their targets.

http://tomahawk.ytmnd.com/
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

I'm not so much of an outdoorsy type, so I really havn't had the chance to view all the animal behaviors out there yet.  BUT...

I'd really like to see more animals try to flee after getting their asses handed to them, unless they are a truly aggressive species.  Even predators would try "prey" and decide, "Oh, **** that," when it comes back to gouge them.  Really, I don't think a sand raptor is going to stand around while an armored man charges them with a mek.  It's just doesn't go along with that 'survival' thing.

Another possibility, particularly for pack, flock, or herd beasties is 'regrouping' and the random chance of aiding like species.

Most passive animals will come in and interfere if you attack one of their own species.  I know at least one animal that comes in to interfere in all fights.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I've seen that happen too and it's pretty funny, but scary at the same time.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Quote from: "Vesperas"I'd really like to see more animals try to flee after getting their asses handed to them, unless they are a truly aggressive species.  Even predators would try "prey" and decide, "Oh, **** that," when it comes back to gouge them.  Really, I don't think a sand raptor is going to stand around while an armored man charges them with a mek.  It's just doesn't go along with that 'survival' thing.

I like it.

It'd be nice to have the thought "I am not that hungry" fill the tembo's thoughts and stomach after a good hit over the head and see it flee with its tail between its legs.

Quote from: "Vesperas"
Another possibility, particularly for pack, flock, or herd beasties is 'regrouping' and the random chance of aiding like species.

We already have something similar to this. :D

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I would like to see more animals fleeing if they're losing a battle, but it would have to be carefully done.  We can't have it so that an animal flees every time before it dies, because then hunting would be too hard.  If this went in I'd also like to see something like an animal being unable to flee if it had a spear stuck in its side, or a few arrows in it.

We have 2 "versions" of SimDesert.  The regular version and the lite version.

The regular version is still only in one area of the world, but it does indeed have predators hunting prey - it's quite elabortae.

The lite version has been put in a number of areas, now, but all it does is handle population levels, respawning consistently, and that sort of thing.  There's no moving around AI, so to speak.  Yet.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

*salivates on SimDesert*

Hunting is harder and more costly in terms of CPU, and we only bless animals hunting players with this great ability (as many of you no doubt know).

really? i'm typing hunt in every five sec in the last couple weeks, might that be the reason of lags and crushes?