Halflings 101: How to Apply

Started by Sanvean, June 07, 2006, 04:58:39 PM

Quote from: "Jherlen"
IF all of this is true... what exactly are PC halflings going to do? What interaction will they be able to have with anyone besides other halflings? Won't this just fracture the playerbase?

Play one and find out!
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"
Quote from: "Jherlen"
IF all of this is true... what exactly are PC halflings going to do? What interaction will they be able to have with anyone besides other halflings? Won't this just fracture the playerbase?

Play one and find out!

I would, but I'm addicted to my current character, and am probably not ready for halflings.

On another note, for some clarifications, check this out http://www.armageddon.org/rp/logs/log.gladiator.html

I found this in Roleplaying discussion, in the player logs bit.

Maybe I should have asked permission first, incase it includes IC sensitive information, but I guessed, if it did, it wouldn't be in roleplaying discussion.

This gladiator battle is taken in the perception of a halfling.

Which is how, it is relevent, to this thread.

Things to take note of:

The halfling can speak sirihish, which suggests, that Halflings can concieve sirihish, but others cannot concieve kentu. However it seems, from this log, that the halfling, does, however, have trouble speaking in sirihish. Occasionally using inccorect terms.

I think if you're going to open halflings to players. You should consider the fact that there would be 'outlaw' halflings. No community lives in perfect harmony. It's not realistically possible. Runaway halflings, or 'outcast' halflings would be completely viable. And the main playerbase in the cities would get a chance to see a better side of opening the race as some halflings become city-dwellers or adventurers around the known world.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I think if you're going to open halflings to players. You should consider the fact that there would be 'outlaw' halflings. No community lives in perfect harmony. It's not realistically possible. Runaway halflings, or 'outcast' halflings would be completely viable. And the main playerbase in the cities would get a chance to see a better side of opening the race as some halflings become city-dwellers or adventurers around the known world.

No.. they would not become city-dwellers. It is not possible. RP-wise anyway. There mentality just isn't cut out for "city-dwelling".

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I think if you're going to open halflings to players.

If?

Quote from: "RunningMountain"No community lives in perfect harmony.

No human community, no.

QuoteHalflings haven't had any outside troubles or threats to their villiage in some time.

This is untrue.  There are plenty of continuing threats to their village.

QuoteYou should consider the fact that there would be 'outlaw' halflings. No community lives in perfect harmony. It's not realistically possible. Runaway halflings, or 'outcast' halflings would be completely viable.

Due to halfling culture and mentality, this is not true.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "nessalin"No human community, no.

No offense, but the only community that I can think of that might live in perfect harmony is one where the majority can't reproduce, like ants, termites, and bees.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Dalmeth"

No offense, but the only community that I can think of that might live in perfect harmony is one where the majority can't reproduce, like ants, termites, and bees.

This isn't earth. Things aren't the same.

Quote from: "Xygax"Another good point, Ritley!

Thanks Xygax.

I like the challenge of trying to play a foreign mindset, and I think I'd like to try a halfling at some point.

It seems so foreign, though, that it's hard (based on the public docs) to imagine what kind of goals, hopes, insecurities, flaws, etc. can come in a halfling.   It seems like a lot of the weaknesses we associate with humans are non-existant, but what does that mean when it comes to their personalities and aspirations?  I'm not expecting to get an answer here, but it does seem like a much harder question than it is for the other playable races.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

What's so foreign about halflings?

If they live in perfect harmony. Personally, I'd never wanna play one. It's conflict that drives a good character to develop and be fun. For me anyways.
Especially with the setting the way it is, I just don't see the fun in playing "co-op" with everyone.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "Ritley"
Quote from: "Dalmeth"

This isn't earth. Things aren't the same.

Actually in my beginning Anthropology class I had in community college
one of the things we talked about were the "Bushmen" in Africa. They
are pretty harmonious with one another, from what we learned. Part of
their culture is that after a hunter brings in a kill they start belittling the
kill so the hunter does not get a big ego over it. :)  In a way, they
moderate some of the things that cause strife.

- Ktavialt

This should help :

Eat                                                               (General)

This command causes your character to consume the named object. Except
for halflings and mantises, the object in question must be a type of food.
These two particular races are also able to eat corpses which lie on the
ground. Typing eat without an argument will result in your attempting to
consume the first item in your inventory.

Syntax:
  eat <object>

eat (<message>) object [<message>]

Examples:
  > eat fruit
   > eat (frothing at the mouth) body

> eat (lowering ^@ head) meat [then looks up and wipes ^@ mouth]

See also:
  command emotes, drink, race halfling, race mantis, taste
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

It makes me want to app a halfling just so I can find out how many bites of "eat body" it takes for a halfling to eat a half-giant.   :D
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Question: What's the turn-around on halfling apps? Should we expect as long a wait as any other special app?
I'm just wondering when to start pestering you guys with "did you get my e-mail?" e-mails, heh.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Give us another week to go through the apps before you begin prodding us for replies.