Do you get to play?

Started by jmordetsky, April 26, 2006, 01:34:28 PM

1) Do you actively play?

2) Do you get to play as much as you would like to?

3) If you don't play, why don't you play, and when was the last time you played? Do you intend to play again?

4) If you do play, what type of characters do you like to play?

I was curious.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

1) I haven't for a while, things have just plain been too busy.  I'm thinking about a new character concept, though, and probably starting that post-AIM.  Maybe, we'll see.
2) No, but to be truthful, it's self-imposed.  Most of the time I feel like I should be focusing on my work, writing, and since I work at home, there's no real point in the evening where I feel like I can go be non-productive without feeling a little guilty about it.   I've found in the past that when playing, a) I tend to get distracted by the adminstrative side of things and end up wandering around Allanak noting typos and b) I just can't do the playing for several solid hours anymore.
3) I think the last character I played much was a Tan Muark ranger, who I had a lot of fun with.  That would have been four or five years ago.
4) I tend to run barflies or explorers, loners in either case in that I don't usually hook up with a clan.  I had a lot of fun with my Fale noble, way back when, and she's up there with a nomadic Whiran I ran for a while in terms of amount of fun.  I usually prefer Allanak to Tuluk.

1) I go through phases.

2) No.

3) Life (I have two 20-month-old boys) and staff business interfere, and for me the staff work (especially coding) is often more fun -- also, I think my talents at coding exceed my talents at RP, and so I am better able to benefit the game with them.  Another difficulty with playing is the challenge of keeping clear of IC info and events related to your PC when your main responsibility is to serve the game as an administrator/facilitator-of-plotlines/whatever.  Additionally, it is easier to avoid any allegations of failing to do the above when you don't play.  The last time I played very seriously was a while ago, more than a full year, if I remember correctly.  Yes, I'll play again.

4) I like to play all sorts, though I think my best, most successful characters have been warriors and rangers.  Though, I did have one Krathi that I -really- liked a lot, before he got whacked by a Templar.

1) Yes

2) No

3) I do play - but most of the times when my characters might seem to be on breaks, it is usually because I am busy watching something important with my clans and can't spare the time for myself to play.

4) No comment.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Quote from: "jmordetsky"1) Do you actively play?
I haven't really played steadily since I joined staff.  Up until recently, I hadn't played a character for longer than 2 weeks in over two years.

Quote2) Do you get to play as much as you would like to?
I do miss playing like I did in college with these 20-hour marathon sessions, but right now, with my RL situation, I'm content with being just imm and playing occasionally.
Quote3) If you don't play, why don't you play, and when was the last time you played? Do you intend to play again?
See above.

Quote4) If you do play, what type of characters do you like to play?
I've pretty much played every cliche personality type, and I tend to lean toward the rough, world-worn characters since they, in my mind, make Zalanthas more real for me than dainty, lily-gilded pampered characters (no offense to those of you who like those).  And yes, I've played the latter.

1.  More or less, yes, I actively play.  I think I'd get bored with being staff, only.
2.  No, but I'm not bothered by it either.  I'd like to eat cake for every meal, but I can't.
3.  n/a
4.  My favorite is probably a human ranger, because I just like being able to piddle around, maybe hunt a critter or two, sell the stuff I collect - or maybe craft it into something like armor.  I also like mages a lot.  And walks on the shores of the Sea of Silt.  I've only played one dwarf, ever, and he died within a coulple of hours.  Never played a mul, never played a pick-pocket, never played a merchant, and haven't played an assassin in 7 years.  If you can't tell I like fighting or magicking types.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

1) Yes, if I have time after real life and imming get taken care of.
2) No.  However, I also enjoy watching my clannies and interacting through NPCs, both of which I do fairly regularly.
3) n/a
4) I tend to play low-combat city types: thieves, spies, aides, bards, etc.  I rarely use karma.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "jmordetsky"1) Do you actively play?

Nope

Quote2) Do you get to play as much as you would like to?

I'm not sure. I'd like to play, but just can't. See below.

Quote3) If you don't play, why don't you play, and when was the last time you played? Do you intend to play again?

I'm too busy. I only get a few hours in the evening after work when I can do things, and when I do, I prefer those things to not involve a computer. I'm also busy working on the house/property/vehicles. I haven't really played a PC in probably... 7 or so years? I tried a couple of times, but the game's gotten so beyond me I look like a total n00b. I can't even keep track of stuff IC as an imm anymore, and have relegated myself to care and feeding of Ginka, and pestering the current staff who are usually in the middle of something. Sometimes I offer them my charming but hilariously outdated opinons, and embarrass them in front of their friends.  I don't anticipate playing again, no.

Quote4) If you do play, what type of characters do you like to play?

I liked sneaky people. I preferred to do more social RP than hunting and killing. I never had a PC killed and never killed anything with any of my PCs. Which is not to say people were not killed because of my PCs. Muaha.

-S

1) Do you actively play?

No.  I pretty much only play when I want to check out code changes first hand, since that's a good way to put things in perspective.

Yeah, staffing gets me my Armageddon fill quite sufficiently.

3) If you don't play, why don't you play, and when was the last time you played? Do you intend to play again?

First answer pretty much covered it.

There aren't any races or guilds that really come to mind as my favorites.  The characters I enjoyed the most I enjoyed because of the people I interacted with.

1) I have, but I'm not at the moment. I'm hoping that will change when I get into my 'winter' routine and free up some time.

2) No. I'd like to play more. What I find difficult is managing my commitments as an imm and a player. I love imming, and have a ton of npcs to animate, but it's not the same as playing. I don't live in USA though, so this means when I get home from work it's already late evening US time. I usually try and get on as imm then, rather than playing, so that I can try and catch clan members online, watch a little, animate. What this means is that by the time I feel ready to play we can be down to the 10 - 15 players in the world, so I miss out on a lot of interaction for my pcs.

3) N/A

4) I've always enjoyed the more social roles. I prefer plotting and scheming to exploring the combat world, or hunting npcs.   That said I've played a variety of roles, from bynner, kuraci merc and rinth rat to aide, noble, salarri hunter.

I've enjoyed them all.  My current pc, who's waiting patiently for me to have time for her is an independant, and plans to stay that way.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

1) Do you actively play?

Ayup.

Pretty much, yeah.

n/a

Political characters, sneaky types, and magickers tend to be my favorites. If I could find a way to combine them all into one, I'd be golden.
Welcome all to curtain call
At the opera
Raging voices in my mind
Rise above the orchestra
Like a crescendo of gratitude