New warrior skill.

Started by RunningMountain, April 21, 2006, 11:38:15 AM

Why don't we give warriors a skill so that whoever they look at dies?

Rangers can branch it too at a later date.

My point being, is that I'd like to see a compelling arguement for why warriors should be given a boost to power, before people just start shooting out random suggestions about what new capabilities a warrior should have.
Back from a long retirement

OR MARYBE! We can get shouts, that boost the parties endurance, hp, and STRENGTH!!!! And, one for a warcry, one to make enemies flee, and one to too, yes![/sarcasm]

If I did -anything- to warriors, I'd dump them low level scan, and blame it on their sixth sense, much like blind fighting, which would be incorporated into this new jihad skill.  Secondly, I might select something like Mastery weapon skill, and grand mastery (for dwarves who have weapon focii as their focus)

The weapon masteries would be basically one skill only.  Slashing, cleaving, blugeoning, whatever your skill is -- that would be it.  It would only occur after you'd max'd that practicular weapon style, and got parry, block, dual wield to an adequate size. This skill would further improve upon the damage, speed, and accuracy of the weapon while using one.  And help to negate the harmful effects of multiple attacks, because a warrior of this skill would be strategically moving to make multiple attacks do more harm to themselves, then him. While  Weapon Grandmastery would be only avail to dwarves with weapon focus (or perhaps everyone)  It would basically be the same as the previous, except amplified.  It would be like max parry, dwield block, weapon skill, and weapon mastery.  It would grant some nasty bonuses as well.

Huzzah, but that's my idea, thoughts?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Fecking awesome, I love it.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Other than dervish (which relies on light weaponry and very, very quick footing)... I don't see any realism in this.  Then again, it could definitely be magick.  Spinning around with a bladed weapon isn't smart, especially if that weapon is any larger or heavier than a damascene scimitar.

Lord Templar Hard Nose thinks:  "Doesn't work for me, too showy, stupid northerner trick."

I think the power of 'change opponent' is underestimated in a warrior's arsenal.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Well, with longswords, halberds and the likes, I could see a command called "sweep."
You sweep your weapon around you!
You slash the half giant on his head, nicking him.
You mutilated the skinnies foot!
You barely graze the mul.
You dismember the halfling!

Ooo... with a weapon that has a long reach.. I like that idea. O__o
umans have the weakest instincts of all kinds when compared to other animals. Our behavior patterns are more affected by learning than by our genes, thus we have a greater flexibility in what we do and become. We have freedom from genetic control.

I tried to program my own MUD twice, using Java.. At first attempt, I realized java's automated garbage collection is sometimes 'garbage'... At my second attempt I was nearly succesful after six months, then RL claimed me. Now I'd rather rewrite the code from the beginning with the new tricks I have learned instead of keeping the old code and.. I don't feel like it right now.. But there were two special moves I had programmed for fights, which may be applied to ARM in a sense.

Flank: Every time you dodge your victim, there's a chance you dodge to a flank with your speed and the opponent you dodged has his/her AC lowered till he does anything else - take damage, dodge, parry or strike -

Of course this gives great advantage to the speedy ones.. So there was another trick to counter it. I couldn't find a good name for it so I just called it...

Push: Every time you parry your opponent, there's a chance you 'push' his/her weapon away. Without weapons in a stance, the opponent is vulnerable till he finds a chance to make a move - take damage, strike, dodge or parry.

They were balanced for my setting, but in ARM we do have d-elves with great speed and half-giants with great strength. D-elven rangers and h-giant warriors would receive great advantage instantly with these skills.. Still I wanted to put the ideas here, in case it may cause some brainstorming and better ideas.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Olgaris"I think the power of 'change opponent' is underestimated in a warrior's arsenal.

I agree.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"
Quote from: "Olgaris"I think the power of 'change opponent' is underestimated in a warrior's arsenal.

I agree.

How?

I agree that being able to change opponents is a useful ability, but how is it being underestimated? It's used plenty.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Tlaloc"

I agree.

I've decimiated by a smart person using change opponent when I thought I was happy and safe.

I don't like the original idea. I have visions of the chubby starwars kid helicopter blading in with that dumb grin on his face.

I still really like styles. Even if it was just heavy on the offense or heavy on the defense etc. Though, the ability to fight defensively has the possibility of making characters with high agility levels near unhittable.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

It really is.  I remember beating people over the head with it during training with a past character, and until then, most of them hadn't even used it or heard of it.  It's a very useful command, though it does get somewhat less useful when all the NPCs attacking have the exact same sdesc... (insert shameless plug for randomized NPC sdescs...)

Imagine this...I'm in combat with a couple soldiers, and I'm doing okay...but what I'm really trying to do is get to the Templar behind them.  How do you do it without leaving combat?  Figure it out.  I know how.

Editted to add that this has to do with recent staff comments on this thread.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

So do I. I still don't know what that has to do with under-estim ... wait a minute, maybe I do.

Still, what does any of that have to do with a sweep skill?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Still, what does any of that have to do with a sweep skill?
Heh, I don't know exactly why the staff posted the bit about 'change opponent.'  I just know that I think many people do underestimate it.

To the original 'whirlwind' idea, I just think it's unrealistic.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.