To whom it may concern

Started by Vacar, April 17, 2006, 02:32:52 PM

"EMPLOYERS SUCK"

I have a character in the south, that is in DESPERATE need of a job. I go to the in game rumor mill & guess what. The only 2 people listed for hiring, can't be contacted they are either dead or not playing

If you are in a house & hire players from time to time "UP DATE THE RUMOR MILL PLEASE !" & dont rely on only one member to post for job openings, They die in this game remember.

Quite a few leaders have recently died in both the north and south, so you may have to be a little pacient.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

The rumor boards are not the only means to employment.  You should try sitting in a tavern and talking to people about work rather than relying on message boards and rumors.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

There are big turnovers from time to time, this just may be one of them.  Other times you will have like five sergeants asking you to join their unit.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Vacar""EMPLOYERS SUCK"

I have a character in the south, that is in DESPERATE need of a job. I go to the in game rumor mill & guess what. The only 2 people listed for hiring, can't be contacted they are either dead or not playing

If you are in a house & hire players from time to time "UP DATE THE RUMOR MILL PLEASE !" & dont rely on only one member to post for job openings, They die in this game remember.

Like in the real world, it is sometimes hard to get in contact with that employer your friends told you to talk to.

Find some other source of work to keep a little coin in your character's pocket. Allanak has obsidian and salt mining. Those are very good occupations you can take up, before you become affiliated with a clan. Also, there are always other players looking for someone to do something for them - Just ask around.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

We generally try to employ players around here ... the PC population isn't really high enough yet for there to be too much choice in many cases.

However, never completely assume that you will be hired. IG, most folks who apply for the jobs we have open in the Houses we have open are not going to get jobs. OOCly, however, is a different story.

It wouldn't hurt to stress IG about the House being full, too many opposing citizens looking for work as well, stress that maybe they don't like you, and so on...

You'd be suprised at the things you might do when you're on the edge to get off it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Life is tough on Zalanthas.
Suck it up.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Seeing the name then instantly contacting to the person to get a job? Bah.. They may be giving a break, off-peak (or peak if you're already off-peak), dead etc... If you cannot find the employer, forget about that job already. You won't possibly manage to get interaction after you joined, too.
As the ones above said, sit in a tavern, wait and speak. Then 99% you'll find a job.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I am an employer in the south, on the rumor board, who plays regularly and is also not dead.

I'm a southern employer who doesn't post on the rumor board for IC reasons: i.e. I expect people to put forth effort and seek me out.

However, plenty of folks know I'm hiring if you ask around.

As Cenghiz said, you probably don't want to work for people you can't find, because you won't be able to find them after they hire you either.  That is not fun.

If you are in Allanak, go  sit in the Bard's barrel, a wide variety of people go through there.  Make sure you sit at the bar, not at a table, people at tables are more likely to get ignored.  Then strike up a conversation with whoever else is sits at the bar, and mention that you are looking for work - they probably know people who are hiring.  This is the best way to find people who are not only hiring, but play at the same time you do.

If you are getting into a money crunch, there are a couple things you can try.  
    Foraging for salt -- All you need to get started is a Jal salt sack, and they will be happy to sell you one for around 10 sid.  Even if you don't have a kank and can't afford to buy one, as  long as you stick to the road until you reach the salt flats, and then don't go in too deep, you should be able to make it out and back on foot.  On the downside you dehydrate very quickly in the salt flats, new characters are lousy at foraging to start with, and there are big mean things that may try to eat you if they see you.  Eventually you can make some money at this, but the first trip or two you'll probably end up spending your profits on water to get re-hydrated because it takes so long to fill that salt sack when you have a low forage skill.

Mining obsidian -- The best part about this is that it isn't a skill, so you don't start out with the decked stacked against you.  If you take the road leading west away from Allanak you can probably spot an obsidian deposit from the road before you use up all your stamina.  Mining does spend stamina faster than foraging, but you probably won't have to go as far from the city, so it evens out.  On the downside you need to buy a glasshacker, and those things are expensive if you are broke.  Mining obsidian is dull, so you may find an established miner willing to take you with him and take turns using his hacker but beware that he may not be a nice person (if you want to try this, look for people wearing glass-hackers on their backs).  You will dehydrate fairly quickly in the desert, but probably not as much as you would foraging in the salt flats.

There are other things you can do for money, but those two are the most obvious.  

Good luck,

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I dunno why, but getting employed became easier for me as the game went on. I guess it is hard for newbies to get job's.

Quote from: "Vacar""EMPLOYERS SUCK"

You shouldn't assume that your character is entitled to joining a clan and/or getting work, levels of desperation nonwithstanding.

Furthermore, saying things like employers suck is really insulting to those players of employers.

Quote from: "Vacar"If you are in a house & hire players from time to time "UP DATE THE RUMOR MILL PLEASE !" & dont rely on only one member to post for job openings, They die in this game remember.
The IC board generally isn't the best way to get information out, and it certainly isn't the only way.  Therefore, don't be surprised when players prioritize it accordingly.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "Ritley"I dunno why, but getting employed became easier for me as the game went on. I guess it is hard for newbies to get job's.

I think that's because as a complete noob you end up spending all your 'sid right away, and then you sit there starving at the bar while looking for employment. :twisted:

When you get a little bit smarter, you keep a little back just incase it's hard to get employed.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Active clans in the south that I'm pretty sure you could find in game, regardless of whether or not the rumor mill says they're hiring:

The Byn
House Kadius
House Salarr
House Oash
House Borsail
The Militia

That's a pretty long list and probably not even complete. Ask around in game, you'll have much better luck than looking for names on the IC board.

I can say with all certainty that if you cannot get a job with the Byn or
the Militia, you aren't trying or you play during their narrow window of
inactivity.  These guys are like a plague recently.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Ritley"I dunno why, but getting employed became easier for me as the game went on. I guess it is hard for newbies to get job's.

Nope. It is possible that there are employers logged in at the moment. Futhermore, I think players who can employ people would be more than willing to give a newbie a chance.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I would say that, in some ways, it is harder for newbs to get jobs. Some clans shy away from hiring newbies, for good reasons. Sometimes it's cruddy contact that gets them. Sometimes it's not having a solid concept of what 'normal' jobs for PCs are (Like a maid character, for example, while totally plausable in the game world, isn't something people normally hire PCs for). I would say a combination of factors makes it a little, not much, but a tad harder for newbies to get jobs.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "moab"Life is tough on Zalanthas.
Suck it up.

Not to be an ass but this was the most helpful reply. Thanks Moab.

Yes I'm a newb, but I didn't waste my money then start starving , Thus my desperation. I got robbed of my pack that had all my water , food, & money in it. That is why I'm desperate. SO.... mining & salting are out of the question.

As for people not being on or me trying to contact right after checking the IG board. I have been trying to contact 3 different people for atleast a week at a wide range of times. I have also asked in the BB & only gotten looks.

I'm trying to avoid militia duty but , screw it, guess I join the jack-booted thug sqaud, it's better than starving to death in the street. Besides it's a sound out-lit for my desperation.....& my probable soon out of control resentment  :wink:

BTW the Guest above me is me  :D

Quote from: "Red Sunrise"Active clans in the south that I'm pretty sure you could find in game, regardless of whether or not the rumor mill says they're hiring:

The Byn
House Kadius
House Salarr
House Oash
House Borsail
The Militia

The Guild and House Kurac are always always taking new people on, too.

Barring those, troll around in the taverns and I'm sure you can find an odd job with someone - a hunter might sell you his spoils, if you're a crafter, or you could do the reverse. Someone might pay you to dig up information for them, etc.

I find that after a dismal week or two of unemployment, the 'oh shit I am out of sid listen guys I will do anything' approach works wonders.

Hey, wander by the nearest enterprising Borsail and act desperate.  Borsail always needs slaves.

Free food, free water, free training.

And who knows, eventually you might either a) become famous, or b) escape (and become famous).

There are employers in the south.  You just have to reach out to get them.

Quote from: "davien"Hey, wander by the nearest enterprising Borsail and act desperate.  Borsail always needs slaves.

Free food, free water, free training.

And who knows, eventually you might either a) become famous, or b) escape (and become famous).

There are employers in the south.  You just have to reach out to get them.

This is the second most useful reply. Thanks.

Okay folks lets stop baiting the newbie.

My third character which was my first in 'nak had a really rough time starting out.  To start off he was a breed, so not many employment opprotunities, then I encounted the twink thieves.  No sooner would I buy something would it be stolen. At one point I had the "you are hungry" prompt staring at me in the face, I had no water, 4 sid on me, no weapons, they had all been stolen, and my second glasshacker in a row had been stolen.  I sat in the gaj and did my very first thinks, I was ready to starve there, irritated and upset at the game, and hating my character.

I then got pissed off and went to the market to sell anything I could, just to get enough water and hopefully a third glasshacker.  In the long run it worked, had to sell a belt, went salt mining, made barely enough to get water, but I slowly eaked out a living. After that I enjoyed the character much more as I had overcome it all on my own (mostly).

Put yourself in the same situation, assume no one will hire you, then try to outsmart the situation.  There is probably something you can do, which in time will lead to something better.  At least you will know you put every effort into it rather than counting on someone else to hire you.  Then if you get hired it's all gravy.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "Anonymous"Yes I'm a newb, but I didn't waste my money then start starving , Thus my desperation. I got robbed of my pack that had all my water , food, & money in it. That is why I'm desperate. SO.... mining & salting are out of the question.

To prevent that, enver carry around too many coins with you - deposit them in the bank until you need them.
Carrying some kind of indication of what you do aroun with you also helps - a glasshacker will make people buy your obsidian or hire you for something else, and so will armor - walk between the barrel and the gaj, dependign on where the pcs are, sit at the bar a bit and chat - most employers are so desperate for workers that they will do everything to you to work for them, believe me. Msot of the time you don't even ahve to ask whether anyone is hiring, they will come at you if they are.

The key to this is tavern-sitting for long-ish time periods, that can be a bit boring but this should really help.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

And I wasn't baiting you.

Slavery (or indentured servitude if you prefer to call it that) should always be thought of as a desperate man's option.  

Fixing it yourself
Joining some clan
Joining the Byn
letting yourself be captured

in that order, normally, is what I'd recommend.  Note that the last option includes indiscreet criminal acts.  The main point is, I think we've all established that there are employers or people of resources who will gladly use other willing PCs, and they even play.

Well baiting or not baiting I did take savery as a very viable option & ment it when I said it was the second most helpful reply.

Since my lack of food & water have put me on a tight time table the militia, & slavery are my best bets unless I stumble on some employer very quickly. I really don't want to do either of these but , it would be poor RP in the extreme to just off the character due to hard times & start over.

It'll make for a more interesting story in the long run going a path I don't want, just to survive.

A helpful hint for getting started out:

Hang around taverns and ask around about who is hiring for what, and who you should talk to.  Get names and descriptions of the person.  Sit down, or go into the tavern's "resting room" and lie down, and try to reach them periodically through the Way.  Or, leave your name with an employee and ask that they tell their employer that you're interested in work.  Remember that this is an illiterate world, and word of mouth is the way things are spread.

And as far as for getting robbed and losing everything, you can certainly play upon people's pity and beg for food, coins, whatever.  In the harsh world of Zalanthas, there are quite a few beggars, and plenty of people have gotten their start by begging until they get on their feet.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

No, it's not because I'm not a newbie that makes It easier to get picked... that would be OOC. More of because I know how to RP a recruit that would make a good recruit for a certain house. As you go on the ability to RolePlay different sort's just come. Most newbies don't know what a employer is looking for at the beginning even if their character would.