So, how would you change Allanak?

Started by Anonymous, April 13, 2006, 06:01:37 PM

Certainly 'nak is not always "in your face."  It's a different kind of subtle.

But you're right.  There's always the whole "the north is subtle" thing that makes one think that the south isn't.  

It is only the very short-lived templars (I know for a fact) that are unsubtle.  :-D
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Allanak needs more mudsexxing.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "davien"It was only an example.  guh.  What other distinction between -free- people and -slaves- would you make other than a collar?

IMO, a collar is all you need. :wink:

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

To tell the truth, I can say behind all that brutal politics, Allanak is much more subtle than Tuluk may ever become.
Because <beep> does not only belong to <beep>, you may never make sure you're watched or not. Templars love Drovians as pets. (I also hope VNPC drovians are also given to service by imms when PCs are not available). You're never ever safe. There's a solid 'Guild' interacting, even though it becomes weaker at times, it always influences.
All we need is more 'brainwashed' patriots to serve I believe.. Some people - not all of course - should think "Templars are always just, if you view a behaviour unjust, it's because you don't see the whole picture." or "What should I do to serve His Shadow today?" or "I will do something to benefit my Lord. Fuck others. I only serve XXX because he perhaps walks in His Shadow.".
Also, we do need documentation for sure. People may understand the basic politics by playing a few chars here and there, but there's no starters for the new folks, that's why they may make mistakes.
(Kudos to Lord Templar Haadith Oash, Lord Brion Oash and Lord Templar Malenthis Jal from here about my experience with past chars. Current ones - I'm already sending 'kudos' via the tool in the webpage. Especially you - you know who you are - you're making my RP senses tingle softly all the time.)

Where Tuluk has tattoos, Allanak has regalia and tokens.

Templars: Robes, ring, medallion.
Nobles: Signet, ridiculous clothes only a noble would wear.
Merchants: Signet.
Militia: Dustcloak, patch, helmet, boots.
Bynners: Shitcloak and patch.
House guards: Armor, cloak.
Slave: Collar, possibly some organizational regalia.

Commoners often have something denoting their house employ as well,
though not deliberately.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Halaster"Post in this thread for more ways you think Allanak's documentation can improve.
I'd really like to see life in the Allanaki villages and farms defined. In particular the (3?) coded villages.

Create really elaborate traditions for them, that are particular to one village. Perhaps one village is a matriarchy, perhaps another a patriarchy, perhaps in one monogomous relationships are normal, perhaps another polygamous relationships are the norm. Perhaps in one village children don't even know who their parents are, but are raised by the community. What superstitions do people have in the villages? Perhaps some of the villages use magickers a fair bit, while another secretly kills any of their kind who show their magickers.

And then there's festivals. The Festival of Remembrance on the 203rd day of the 2nd month, where the town celebrates how everyone got together and kept the dwarven army of Thrain Ironsword out of the village, when many others were being plundered. The Day of the Templar, where a defiler had once attacked the village, only to be killed by the soldiers and Templars. In remembrance, no-one dares to leave their homes, however soldiers can go to any home and will be given whatever they desire.

Really heavily define each of the 3 villages, to add flavour and allow people who want to, to have a place they can be from and have a rich culture particular to one village. If people don't want to be from any of those villages, they can be from another one and make up their own culture for the village.

Whether it's documented or not, I think Allanak has a pretty defined and consistent culture already.

As other people have pointed out, Allanak is a much more brutal city than Tuluk is. (This doesn't mean it's more "harsh".) In Allanak, people get killed on the street, and the population likes to watch. Criminals get killed for sport in the arena or tossed on the other devices for public execution and torture while crowds of onlookers cheer. Tuluk likes to sweep all its dirty laundry (in terms of criminal executions) under the rug, while Allanak likes to hang it out on the clothesline proudly.

As far as art goes, this may just be a PC trend, but I've noticed that in Allanak, there seems to be a lot more entertainment from dance than from singing. I'm sure Tuluki bards dance too, but I've seen a lot more of it in 'nak. (This could just be a result of overexposure to the Atrium. :P) Another thing a PC told me once that I've always believed, regardless of how true or not it might be, was that Allanakis might favor poetry, but composed in the form of spoken verse rather than song. I imagine the topics an Allanaki bard might sing about would be different than a Tuluki bard, too.

One thing I think is worth remembering is that Tuluk doesn't have the monopoly on subtleties (as other people said), but it doesn't have a monopoly on bards, either. Bards in Allanak do exist, I think they just take a different form and may not be taken as seriously as their Tuluki counterparts. I can definitely see some of the noble houses hiring a wordsmith/jester or two to hang around and entertain for their amusement, sing bawdy and insulting songs about their rivals, and whatever. (For example, somebody get the npc in the Barrel to sing "The Oash are a'Hiring" sometime.) But at the end of the day I think Allanaki bards are just treated as cute little toys for the upper classes' amusement, since it seems like commoners in 'nak are treated with a lot less regard than commoners in Tuluk, on the whole.

Just some random thoughts. I might post more later. Oh, and...

Quote from: "Yokunama"Allanak needs more mudsexxing.

What rock have you been hiding under?

Yeah, understand that when I'm asking for help with documentation I'm not wanting to change or significantly add to Allanaki culture.  I think it's already pretty decent.  I'm just asking for documents on things that already are, but could use some better defining and spelling out.

The exception to this is the legends, some of those are goint to be new.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"Yeah, understand that when I'm asking for help with documentation I'm not wanting to change or significantly add to Allanaki culture.  I think it's already pretty decent.  I'm just asking for documents on things that already are, but could use some better defining and spelling out.

The exception to this is the legends, some of those are goint to be new.

I'd like to know more about commoners. What's life like for your average commoner? What is the job of the vast majority of them? Do all commoners really love Tektolnes? How would a commoner react when being asked by someone to spy against the templarate for a significant amount of money? Where do commoners usually live?

QuoteWhere do commoners usually live?

That one would be relatively easy to answer. With the exception of 'rinthers, 'gickers and very wealthy merchants, most commoners live in the Commoners' Quarter (gasp!), either in the tenements, the apartments on Stonecarver's Road and Miner's Road, or in any of the more or less virtual homes along Commoners' Way and that other street, what's it called... Something's Walk.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Intrepid"- More information about the arena and the games.
- An Allanaki Roleplay guideline, rather than just saying they're "unTuluki".
- Legends regarding each noble house's origins.
- Mythos regarding the formation of the city itself.
- Allanaki artistic expression, even if it's just the arena bloodsports.
- Unspoken rules and etiquette, rather than just, "Obey the templars".

- Last, but not least: Mal Krian.  Superstitions indicate that Nakkis were
well aware of this place, given the colors mentioned in the old clothing
docs, but very little else has been mentioned.  I believe such a place
should have left a lasting legacy, imo.

So basically much of what's in the works atm.

Edit: Just read back over my post and realize it came out a little harsh.  Didn't mean it that way in any way.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Personally I think Allanak has some pretty rich culture; it's just not the same culture as Tuluk, nor should it be.  One thing to keep in mind too, is that you may not feel like the cities have much culture simply because many of the newer players don't know of it.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

My only thing to say on people's concerns about a lack of culture in Allanak...you're looking for the wrong sort of culture.

If you actually pick apart things, look at histories that are easily available, and piece things together about how things -are-...there's all sorts of culture to explore.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Felt I had to add this. Allanak doesn't have bards they have, (as somebody in a distant time and place put it) Tavern Singers.