Those tribes from...

Started by The Lonely Hunter, February 03, 2003, 09:23:17 AM

What ever happon to those tribes 'in the works' from, I guess, about a year ago? I understand one of the staff that were working on them left but I thought someone else picked them up? I always thought having a couple of these tribes up and running could prove to be a very good thing but it seems like its been awhile since we have heard anything public about them. Fill us in?
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I was working on those with Naephet prior to my leaving.  I finished one tribe which only needs to be added as a starting location as the NPCs, docs, location and everything else is set.  I think....

However, and this is just my own view, I'm not on staff anymore, mind you, so take this with a grain of salt, I think some player-run tribes have sprung up and lasted a little while now, long enough to get support from the staff and begin to make an impact on the game.  It would probably be undermining them to add in a coded Desert Elf tribe at this time, since that would possibly pull players away from a player-run tribe.  Its always been my experience that the staff as a whole tends towards encouraging player-initiated endeavours whenever possible.

If memory serves Naephet is still the guy to talk to about this.  I *think* Bakha picked up part of it as well.

Narlac

Yay, Narlac... was wondering where you wandered off to.

Umm, right... ask the staff.  Anybody know where Narlac wandered off to?

Hehehe.

emote ~soldier begins laughing, as @ thumps him in the back of the head.

I could see the concern about pulling players from the pc run tribe but as far as I know there is only one thats gaining imm support. Pretty sure the other one that was, not too long ago, has died off.

I'm in a role right now that I will prolly be in for awhile but when I do play d-elves (they have to be my favorite all around race) I've always hated the fact that there wasnt any coded tribes with camps and all that nifty stuff. When I heard you guys were maken three of them I was pretty damn happy.

I think having more then one imm supported tribe would add greatly to that aspect of the world as it would allow for conflict between the tribes and a great number of other things.

I love d-elves but playen the 'my tribe is lost/dead' gets pretty old. I've run tribals with other players and even had my own semi-sponsored tribe but, again, It never felt complete.

I really hope the current staff decides to continue with this and finish up the three tribes but I guess we will have to wait and see. =)
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I agree with you on this, Hunter.  The 'my tribe died' thing can get old, but most often its because virtual tribes don't garner anywhere near the respect of a tribe with multiple PC members.   Beyond that name recognition of a tribe can earn a tribal elf a modicum of respect or, in the least, they aren't treated as an easy kill with no reprecussions.

The flip side, however, is when you have a group of 3 PCs playing in a tribe with a virtual number of 60 or maybe a couple of hundred (be they an elf tribe, or raiders, or whatever)
suddenly able to paralyze travel between cities with *hundreds* of thousands of civilians.

Whoa...I started to do a Creeper tangent.....;)

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1827  

And they couldn't have waited until I was between characters.

8)

Contact Hot_Dancer if you don't want to play a solo d-elf. He has a player-run tribe, and is doing an excellent job as well. Or read the announcements, there is a new tribe open.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.