practise dummys

Started by swordmaster, February 03, 2003, 12:13:00 AM

what do you think of practise dummys?

i think it is too easy for people to become good at skills.
6 (18.2%)
i think it sounds reasonabel
18 (54.5%)
i think it sounds bad or sucks
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: February 03, 2003, 12:13:00 AM

Hello i thought about maby putting practise dummys in the game. Just an opinion but what if you attack them but it only puts up skill very slowly.? Also it wont be overdoing getting good since you are not allowed to trian for long due to it being bad rp.      sorry for my grammar i cant help it im dumb plainly speaking :cry:  :x
et the sword be youre guide let you guide the sword.

It's not the grammar, but try capatilization and puncuation alittle more.

Now, with the practice dummies, there are already some of them, don't know how they work exactly but you can train with them.

Thats about all I'll say about them, that they are there.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

There are plenty of training dummies in the game.  Almost all training compounds make mention of them in the descriptions.  That said, they are not magik skill increasing machines.  Use virtual training dummies as RP tools.  Maybe a bored imm will spot you and up your abilities a little.  More likely, you will gain whatever pleasure you get from RP and call it a life.  Beating a wooden weapon against an unmoving target should not let you gain any skill.  At best, such an object would have no effect as the skill would go up too slowly.  More likely, it would be twinked out beyond words, and you would have people start whacking one of these things anytime they thought no one was looking with no RP.

As far as your grammar, I am a tad confused as to how you don't think you can help it.  You clearly are smart enough to type out words.  I imagine making a few of those words start with an upper case letter is not much harder.  It is very simple.  All sentences start with a capital letter.  All sentences have punctuation.  All 'i's that stand alone are capitalized to be an 'I'.  I would highly suggest typing what you want to say into something like Microsoft Word (or any other program with built in spell check and grammar checker) and letting its spell checker and grammar checker go to work.  It is fairly effective at pointing out mistakes and suggesting how to fix them.  

Being able to write coherently is a very valuable skill.  People who can't do it are generally passed off as being either lazy or dumb.  If nothing else, trying to run what you type through some sort of word processor will start to teach you your mistakes.  I still generally run everything through a word processor unless I am pressed for time because I know that I generally suck with my spelling and am partially dyslexic.

Just running what you wrote through Microsoft Word and following the programs suggestions resulted in:

QuoteHello I thought about maybe putting practice dummies in the game. Just an opinion but what if you attack them but it only puts up skill very slowly? Also it won't be overdoing getting good since you are not allowed to train for long due to it being bad rp. Sorry for my grammar I can't help it I'm dumb plainly speaking.

It isn't perfect, but it is much more coherent, makes you look a little smarter, and it took a minimal amount of work.  The end result is that people are far more likely to take you seriously.  It is like real life.  If an adult walks up to you and starts talking in baby talk, would you take them serious?  No, of course not.  It is the same with writing.  If the absolute most basic rules (capitalization and punctuation) of grammar are flat out ignored, people treat it like a person who speaks like a baby.  They might still listen, but they are less likely to take it seriously.  

All that said, this is just advice.  Do with it what you will.

I agree with everything Rindan said, especially about the grammer.

If you can't take the time to capitalize your sentences and perhaps even make them grammatically correct, why should I or anybody else take the time to read what you write?
Back from a long retirement

Give the poor guy a break. Maybe he doesn't speak english as a first language. Maybe not, even then his post seems jovial unlike the responses (in my opinion), which seem much harsher.

Quote from: "unclean"Maybe he doesn't speak english as a first language. Maybe not, even then his post seems jovial unlike the responses (in my opinion), which seem much harsher.

I think its hardly likely that english isn't his first language.  Generally people who are trying to communicate in their second language would put forth more effort and would have more problems with sentence structure and tense rather than spelling and punctuation.

To me its part of the AOL/WebTV/NeverQuest stat.  Its cool to misspell or needlessly abbreviate the really hard words like 'you' and 'for' into 'u' and '4'.

If you can't take the time to put forth effort when you are asking others to do so on your behalf, I find it hard to believe much more effort will be put into fleshing out a PC.  So I ignore those posts.

Yes, I am stereotyping.

I dropped out of school early. That's because I knew everything. Later I must have forgotten it all. About three years ago, I started writing. My thought when I began was, "Function over form." Eventually, I started working in an online community where other writers had an opportunity to judge my work (on a scale of 1-10.) I got a harsh review that changed my life:

Character - I gave an 8 because the characters were well developed and funny.

Plot - I gave an 8 on plot. Originally I was going to give this a seven but then I started thinking about it and I can really see this one being developeed into a Greg Kinear movie script. It really is very funny. The quality of writing kind of fooled me into thinking that this wasn't as good as an eight but I had to put that aside and grade it for the PLOT and PLOT wise it is actually very good.

Originality - 7 - Is there anything original anymore? It wasn't exactly the most igenious of plots but it was still funny and it still works.

Quality of writing - 4 -- This was the hardest because I KNOW you can write better then you had on this. Many grammatical errors and it wasn't exactly the most fluidly written -- You can write better then this! It wasn't so much the words you chose -- those were fine -- but paragraph and sentence STRUCTURE.

That 4 really bothered me. I should have been able to do better than that, but I couldn't. It bothered me so much I hired a tutor, and tried to learn the rules of grammar.I also run things through MS Word's spelling and grammar checks. I'm still a bit challenged, but people no longer think I'm illiterate.

My point is: the effort it takes to express yourself well is an investment in projecting an image of competency. If people are willing to take you seriously, the pay off is worth it.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

QuoteYou can write better then this!

Heh. :)

That was about one post on the actual subject and the rest on the fact that he mentioned that he had bad grammar ..... I doubt anyone would have noticed if he did not mention it, anyways I have seen these dummies in the game. I think the immortals have begun to introduce them into the world just now and I feel (from playing other muds and how practice dummies were abused) that they are really not necessary, unless the imms are trying to urge roleplay with actually placing npcs into the room instead of just description, to help out the new players. However, if those dummies do, in fact, raise skills (and I heard they do), then what will happen is all the newbies will be treating this game as any other hack and slash mud and pay less attention to rp and more attention to power gaming. I myself come from a very -power gaming- oriented mud and it has been tough on me just to get used to Armageddon and its environment, imagine what will happen if the dummies are introduced. My opinion on this, if the dummies are there to reinforce and urge rp then it is perfectly fine and usefull, but if it's made to increase skills then I don't think that's very necessary since the game has enough opportunities for characters to get better.

Your skill represents your knowledge. I.E. If you have the skill your good enough that attacking a still ummy won't teach you anytihng.

In othre words certain classes don't even have a skill, They can wield a blade but not enough to do anytihng. Since you have the skill it is aassumed at one point in your life you did shadow fighting or fought dummies, or watched the militia beat up elves, whatever. Anyways te point I am making is you already have more skill than you will get froma dummy. They have been around for awhile and are there for RP as well as keeping your characters skill up (ic'ly not codewise) There really is no ned to actually have them do anything because it will be twinked to high heaven.

Well that is my quicky two cent, I would put in more thought but I am dead tired and nodded off twice while making this post.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas