Make 'head' the default for movement
1 (2.2%)
Add a 'head' command for this
31 (67.4%)
I hate this idea, don't do it!
14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: March 24, 2006, 03:29:41 PM

Maybe instead of "head", we could use "travel" or "proceed".  The "head" command would make my inner-Beavis too powerful.

-- X

No way, give in to your inner Beavis. use "head". I'm okay with it so long as it wasn't automatic and, as others have said, I would probably never use it outside a city. It would be nice for those "taking a walk" "patrolling" with your friend moments to make having a conversation while walking somewhere less clunky and stuttered.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Xygax"Maybe instead of "head", we could use "travel" or "proceed".  The "head" command would make my inner-Beavis too powerful.
Heheheh, he said 'head!'

Yeah, I'd giggled about this one already.

Me, I'm all for the concept, but I do understand the wrinkles.  Perhaps a numerical argument to prevent people from going too far if they go linkdead?

> go 10 n
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Add command emotes to it and we'd be set :P

No default, it'd be too confusing for new players by far.  But as a chronic movement stacker I'd probably use it some of the time just for my own sake.  I don't see it as an all encompassing solution by any means but it'd be a nice supplement to what we have in game.

I also really really like spawnlosers suggestion.  Maybe "go north" would set you off moving till you "stop" or get blocked.  But "go north 10" could be used and you'd automatically stop after ten rooms?  If that was possible it'd make the command a -lot- safer and maybe even more versatile.

I say no to just 'HEAD NORTH'.

I certianly say yes to 'HEAD NORTH 10', or some other like instruction.

It should stop if you encounter any object blocking an exit, if someone tries to subdue you, fight you, or speak to you, or give you something.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I dunno about speak...I mean, what if there's two people, one following the other, and they want to talk to each other, and the leader types 'go n 15' ...but every three rooms the chatty guy following him tells him something.  There goes all usefulness of the command...and there goes your ability to use the time while your character walks to do other things like talk back to the chatty person that keeps stopping your walking.  I mean, can you not listen to someone while walking?  If there is still a 'stop' command to stop earlier than the number entered, you can stop yourself when a Templar yells to 'Halt!' or the like.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Good point.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'm with 7DV on this myself.

Though, with wintin, I can already do exactly that.

3n4e5n

And we are off!
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I hate it when people power walk and I'd hate to see a command that makes it easy and legitimate for them to do it.
Back from a long retirement

I guess I don't see this as legitimizing power walking, more making moving more like natural moving.  I don't know about you guys, but I start walking in a direction and I don't have to consciously tell myself, ok go on, move further.  If I'm walking down the street, I just walk and usally end up drifting off in thought (generally an idea to code for Arm)

*shrugs*
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Yep I completely agree, Morg.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Morgenes"I guess I don't see this as legitimizing power walking, more making moving more like natural moving.  I don't know about you guys, but I start walking in a direction and I don't have to consciously tell myself, ok go on, move further.  If I'm walking down the street, I just walk and usally end up drifting off in thought (generally an idea to code for Arm)

True, but on the other hand, I don't have to tell myself to stop moving as I'm walking which would need to be done with the head command. I just don't think the present way or the head command can really make walking 'realistic' with the grid layout of Armageddon. Heh. I think this idea would be amazing for wagons though, but not so much on-foot.

I can see the value of this command, but I have a few reservations.  It would be suicidal to use it in the desert as is.  You will walk off the shield wall, run into a wall of gith, or just disconnect/lag and end up way off course and/or dead.  I wouldn't use it most of the time because in the instances where I would want to talk to someone, I wouldn't want to be spam walking at full speed.

I would offer the following suggestions.

Change the syntax to 'travel <direction> <delay> <number of rooms>'

This way you can drop in a custom delay and make it so that you move only a finite number of rooms so if you disconnect you are not screwed.  I would use this command.  This way you can still leave plenty of time for emoting and interaction in each room and you also get to keep your hands free for emoting and talking.

If I had to lead a bunch of Byn, with this command it would make my life easy.  I would set reasonable travel distances so that if I disconnect I am not screwed, and I can make a nice long delay giving people plenty of time to emote, look ahead for danger, and talk.

In my opinion, the ability to set a delay and set a number of rooms to move is really key.  The delay makes it useful for non-spam walking, and the number of rooms you walk for keeps it from basically being suicide if you disconnect and the game doesn't detect it.  Without those two features, I would probably just stick the old fashion way.

I give this a 'no' vote.

I used to play a game that had a similar thing set up called 'travel.'  You could turn 'travel' on, and then head off in a direction.  It was particularly safe, since the game also used space and distance, and you could 'stop' anytime before actually leaving an area in case of emergency.

However, there was HUGE problems when people went link-dead or were lagged, or failed to watch where they were going -- and they walked straight into rooms with Big Nasties, or, the travel command would not stop in the case of link-death.  The MUD likes to champion the fact they have 6 million wilderness rooms, so you can imagine that if you didn't get back on for a few hours, you'd be up shit creek.

Now, as for Armageddon...

I think people use spam-walk too much already in cities.  I hate passing someone on the street and not even have time to interact with them, ESPECIALLY during off-peak times when I'm desperate for peoplez. :P  I know I shouldn't be able to single out some guy on a crowded street, but the same goes for tavern-squatters.. what makes you talk to that man in the hood in the left corner over the virtual man in the hood in the right corner other than the fact he's a player?

And.. you would see A LOT of more newbie corpses on the bottom of the wall.