Author Topic: @_@ NEW WEAPON @_@  (Read 4448 times)

Melkor

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:02:27 PM »
Keywords- Atlatl, bone, leather

Sdesc- a spike-hilted, bone atlatl

Ldesc- a bone, leather-handled atlatl lies discarded here

Main desc- This medium sized atlatl, has been made out of a large mekillot bone that has yellowed over time. The end was carved and sanded into a cupped back in the shape of a cupped “V”, lined with chitin. For this sturdy weapon, the handle is covered in a stitched, chalton-leather wrap for grip and padding. Strands of beaded leather hang from the long, bone shaft. The bottom, spiked with obsidian acts as a balance caster for this weapon

Material- Bone

Item price- 175

Wearflags- Belt, holdable

Atlatls are projectile firing weapons are very common among African tribes and Aborigines(both desert dwellers) for a means of both fighting and hunting. Atlatls are basically a handle with a cup in the back used to push the spear or arrow it uses. The back of the arrow/spear against the cup acts as a fulcrum, providing both power and accuracy. In Zalanthas, they would be common among Desert elves, Gith, and Rangers. They would be able to use any arrow or throwable spear in the game, and be able to shoot long ranges with great power, like in real life.

Please tell me what you think.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Melkor

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 08:35:39 AM »
Please, I would like to hear comments and questions about this weapon.

Thanks
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Maybe42or54

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 09:45:27 AM »
There's no real need for them with the way archery is currently set up. If it wasn't a weapon and merely a Rp object, that would be nice, but.. giving elves the ability to throw 2 screens is a little.. too much.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Aldiel

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 10:56:36 AM »
It would be nice to see Atlatls in the game since they're basically the father of all ranged weapons, and would be so much more easily found than bows or crossbows.  The dart would have to be created too for an atlatl to work since atlatls don't use arrows or spears in RL.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

spawnloser

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 11:16:32 AM »
Sure, been around longer...but bows and crossbows are more accurate and can shoot further still.  It's the normal progression, and the obsolete atlatl would be discarded.

Personally, I think people want atlatls just so that they can throw further.  Don't be a cheap bastard, buy a bow!
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

LucidApex

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 09:37:15 PM »
Sure, been around longer...but bows and crossbows are more accurate and can shoot further still. It's the normal progression, and the obsolete atlatl would be discarded.

Atlatls are far from made obsolete by a bow because of a lack of effectiveness in comparison with the bow.
A bow or crossbow might shoot farther, but the effective stopping power of an atlatl can be quite impressive.
     The reason that the bow would make an atlatl obsolete isn't because it is necessarily better, so much as easier to learn to use. Similar to the reason that in the modern world, the only reason we use metal points isn't because they are any better than a stone point; it only requires much less skill and energy to go out and buy a metal point than to sit and learn to craft, and then partake in the crafting of a stone point. These things were replaced because of ease of use and trainability, not necessarily improved function. Also the fact that an atlatl point is almost as difficult to learn to make as the atlatl is to learn to use. You'd have to pretty much be raised with the weapon in your hands and the skills at your dispense to make an effective use of the weapon.
     I think it would be awesome to see atlatls implemented. Hell, if I saw some badass who'd spent the time learning to use an atlatl and actually hit their intended target from two screens away, I'd be impressed. Just because it CAN go two screens away doesn't mean it'd do it accurately. It's probably not really that feasable to add the weapon though. They would take adecent amount of time to reload, would need really high skills and near perfect quality materials for crafting the darts, and it would be quite akward to carry both the weapon and its cumbersome ammunition around. It would almost be a noble's weapon, and used more to show off than actual hunting.  The main reason I'd like to see it because I am baised with a slight background in "primitive" skills ;)
f you can't say something nice, chances are you'd get the message across better by throwing a rock.

Folker

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 05:22:00 PM »
I think Atlatls are good idea, but only for tribals. I seriously cannot see Atlatls being used by city based individuals, but I definately can see it used by giths, and some tribal characters. Infact, I think they should be used primarily by Giths.

Aldiel

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:34:26 AM »
Quote from: "spawnloser"
Sure, been around longer...but bows and crossbows are more accurate and can shoot further still.  It's the normal progression, and the obsolete atlatl would be discarded.

Personally, I think people want atlatls just so that they can throw further.  Don't be a cheap bastard, buy a bow!

Champions can throw atlatls over 800 feets.  That's a pretty good distance, and people still used atlatl when bows and arrows were in existance.  I suppose you could make the dart have a very low ability to knockdown an enemy if you wanted to make it more equal with archery.  Or you could put it on the archery skill since bows and atlatls work basically the same way.  It's not like you could carry twenty darts in your quiver cape, anyway.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Cale_Knight

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 02:49:51 AM »
Quote from: "Aldiel"
Champions can throw atlatls over 800 feets.  That's a pretty good distance, and people still used atlatl when bows and arrows were in existance.

In existance? I'll buy that. Readily available in the area? That I have a bit more trouble believing.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Aldiel

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 10:44:54 AM »
Quote from: "Cale_Knight"
Quote from: "Aldiel"
Champions can throw atlatls over 800 feets.  That's a pretty good distance, and people still used atlatl when bows and arrows were in existance.

In existance? I'll buy that. Readily available in the area? That I have a bit more trouble believing.

Readily available, yes.  Atatls are a whole lot more available than bows.  A handmade bow can take a week of labor to make, and that's not including seasoning of the wood which can take a year.  A bow is a very complicated weapon in actuality.  Atatls are little more than hooked sticks.  I have made both and used both.  It’s not like we’re asking to have throwing sticks or Sais implemented.  This is not an obscure weapon.  It is well known and one of the first and most effect ranged weapons.  The Atatl should be like the weapon of Zalanthas.  It’s perfectly suited for its rugged, primitive feel.  I find it quite humorous that for the first time people are arguing for technology on Zalanthas.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Aldiel

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 10:46:26 AM »
BTW, with two pieces of bone, you can make an atlatl and dart -way- easier than you can make a bow and arrow.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

X-D

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 05:50:43 PM »
I've spent a reasonable amount of time IRL learning to use both atlatl and slings.

Having said that, I have no problem with atlatl being added in game under archery like slings.

BUT, I would like to them AND slings better represented, both weapons, are VERY powerful, but WOEFULLY inaccurate and take a rather long time to learn to use with any degree of skill.

Right now, in game, slings are represented exactly the opposet, heh, Alright ACC and low power..snort.

I can sling a bullet at near 200mph, and it does HUGE amounts of damage to anything it hits (prefer concrete blocks, they explode the best) but at 50 feet I can only hit a concrete block 1 of say 5 times, which, I hear is actually rather good for a sling on something that size at that distance.

But with my bow I can hit that block 5 of 5...it just will not explode...sigh.

With an atlatl I get quite good distance and power, but I'd be lucky to hit an elephant at 50 feet.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Armaddict

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 06:08:22 PM »
Just browsed over this, and this is a derailment, but I second what X-D said about slings.

Right now, in game...they suck.  But they are actually pretty damn devastating, and I picture they would be the preferred form of archery in certain places of the world.

But...in game...they suck...so no one uses them.

Would staff be opposed to more 'sling' objects if they were submitted, and I mean sling objects that aren't crappy?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

jhunter

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 06:11:43 PM »
I could see slings being preferred in the south and bows and arrows up north. Due to wood issues mostly.

Lazloth

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 07:57:51 PM »
Quote from: "Armaddict"

There's a big difference between the cost:net ratio for slings and bows ingame.

I've seen quite a few players utilize slings.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

spawnloser

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 07:59:46 PM »
Quote from: "Lazloth"
I've seen quite a few players utilize slings.
I have to back Laz, up.  I've seen a few people use slings as well.
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Aldiel

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 02:29:23 AM »
Quote from: "Armaddict"
Just browsed over this, and this is a derailment, but I second what X-D said about slings.

Right now, in game...they suck.  But they are actually pretty damn devastating, and I picture they would be the preferred form of archery in certain places of the world.

Would staff be opposed to more 'sling' objects if they were submitted, and I mean sling objects that aren't crappy?

I wonder if we could make sling bullets do less against limbs and the torso and more against the head and neck.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Sir Diealot

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 04:13:23 AM »
What if we made it so you cannot have a projectile leave the room, by using just your arm.  But you can, with an atlatl.

I understand, that some rooms are huge, and such, but it would cut down a little bit on twinkage.  Especially if they were moderately rare, since wood is somewhat.  Or just make it a strictly tribal weapon.. Something lost on the cataclysm.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Aldiel

@_@ NEW WEAPON @_@
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 12:11:18 PM »
Ick, I've always hated ranged weapons that didn't have a long enough reach to leave the room.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L