Accents

Started by facehugger, February 23, 2006, 06:07:55 PM

"02/23/2006: Accents shown when different from spoken accent -- Tiernan"

I'm not entirely certain what this means? Any clarification?

Thanks.

Previously you were shown accents when they were different than your 'default' accent.  Now it shows you the accent if it's different than the one you are currently speaking.  This was done because you can now learn other accents and try and mimic them.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This seems weird to me.  Even if I was imitating a foreign accent, that accent wouldn't suddenly sound "normal" to me.  The change accent command is now changing perception as well as speech.

I haven't had the opportunity to play around with the code, but shouldn't it just echo "You say, in foreign-accented Sirihish..."?

*shrug*

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"This seems weird to me.  Even if I was imitating a foreign accent, that accent wouldn't suddenly sound "normal" to me.  The change accent command is now changing perception as well as speech.

I haven't had the opportunity to play around with the code, but shouldn't it just echo "You say, in foreign-accented Sirihish..."?

*shrug*

I like the change, because if you're trying to imitate an accent, its nice to have a constant reminder about what accent your currently speaking.

Quote from: "Morgenes"Previously you were shown accents when they were different than your 'default' accent.  Now it shows you the accent if it's different than the one you are currently speaking.  This was done because you can now learn other accents and try and mimic them.

Thank you, this will be most helpful in remembering which accent my character is currently using.  Granted, I guess it could be changed to having your spoken messages include the current accent, but if not that, at least we now have this. :)

Quote from: "rishenko"
Quote from: "Morgenes"Previously you were shown accents when they were different than your 'default' accent.  Now it shows you the accent if it's different than the one you are currently speaking.  This was done because you can now learn other accents and try and mimic them.

Thank you, this will be most helpful in remembering which accent my character is currently using.  Granted, I guess it could be changed to having your spoken messages include the current accent, but if not that, at least we now have this. :)

It could be changed, but IMO I think it is just perfect the way it currently is.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

What if your default accent is northern, and you were immitating a tribal accent for a while but logged in one day and went into Allanak?  Without using the 'change accent' command to check, you wouldn't be reminded if you were speaking like a northerner or a tribal.  All you'd know is that you weren't speaking like a southerner.

If your default accent (in terms of hearing) stayed the same and accent tags were added to your own speach echos, you'd know.

Adding another prompt variable for the accent-shifters?

>prompt %h/%Hhp %m/%Mmana %v/%Vmove %t/%Tstun %a>
OK.
745/745hp 1084/1084mana 796/796move 781/781stun northern>

Would it be possible?

Note: I stand corrected... Thanks Tamarin.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

The accent to prompt is already in.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]