Change weapons slashing

Started by Maybe42or54, February 06, 2006, 11:43:32 PM

As I was beginning to spar, I was faced with an impossible question. Do I use a sword because it is in the Slashing category (which is the place my choice of weapons are), or do I pick something that looks like my weapon (a dagger)? It feels twinkish to pick the first one, but stupid to pick the second one.

Would it be possible to add an argument to the "Change" command that allows you to choose the way you use your weapons?

Example:
Change weapons slashing
You begin slashing with all your weapons.

Change weapons none
You begin using weapons as they are intended.

It will be automatically set to none as you begin a Pc.

The advantages to using this command would be that you can now practice slashing with training daggers, stop worrying about sharpening your two handed great sword, as you can now chop with it. A noble can really show how much a badass noble he is since he doesn't even have to –watch- people fight and reflect it in the way he uses a long sword to poke people.

The disadvantages to using this command would be that it makes some weapons a lot more breakable when used wrong (such as using a spear as an axe wouldn't work very well), you may lose pride when all your buddies see you using a sword to cut down a tree, or trying to spear someone with a hammer.

Thoughts? Is it possible? Suggestions?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I could see this to a point... Examples

Pick axe   chopping or piercing
Swords     slashing or piercing
Polearms   (the head) or blunt (butt of weapon)

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"As I was beginning to spar, I was faced with an impossible question. Do I use a sword because it is in the Slashing category (which is the place my choice of weapons are), or do I pick something that looks like my weapon (a dagger)? It feels twinkish to pick the first one, but stupid to pick the second one.

Would it be possible to add an argument to the
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

We already have code in place to allow this for certain, specific weapons.  If you feel it should be applied to a weapon, use the idea command on it.

idea dagger This could use the code that allows it to switch weapon type.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"We already have code in place to allow this for certain, specific weapons.  If you feel it should be applied to a weapon, use the idea command on it.

idea dagger This could use the code that allows it to switch weapon type.

Err other then 'find out IC'  what sort of commands are used for such weapons?
Umm S.I.R., are you aware you were using a 12.7 in a 7.62 zone? Step out of the van, please."

-Bob Hollingsworth

Yes I have actually seen some of these weapons. But there is no help file on the syntax for using them. Mind clueing us in to the actual syntax used to change a blungeoning to a piercing...so on and so forth?

or use
>use toothpick
if you want to switch during a fight
(I think...)
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

To add on to Halaster's comment:

There are swords out there that are used for piercing only. I'm sure that there are other weapons out there that use a different style, besides the ones most of them are used for. Just "assess" the item or if you are trying to buy a weapon, "view" it before buying.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Code ("Yokunama") Select
To add on to Halaster's comment:

There are swords out there that are used for piercing only. I'm sure that there are other weapons out there that use a different style, besides the ones most of them are used for. Just "assess" the item or if you are trying to buy a weapon, "view" it before buying.

Longswords and such? 'Flip' or 'use' them.. I don't know why there's not a helpfile about that.. For the first time, a nice imm showed me how to flip weapons.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"
Quote from: "Yokunama"To add on to Halaster's comment:

Longswords and such? 'Flip' or 'use' them.. I don't know why there's not a helpfile about that.. For the first time, a nice imm showed me how to flip weapons.

Yes, there are some longswords that do that.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.