Top Ten Bug Fixes

Started by Sanvean, January 23, 2003, 02:29:33 PM

Quote from: "Delerak"If NPCs don't wander.  Or don't have the flag for moving or wandering about, they are immune to projectiles, that's why you couldn't hit the tandu. That's why gate guards are immune to archery and throw, thats also why wild many gortoks are immune to it, not sure if it is a bug, but it sure does suck.

I'll shoot down this theory right now, no pun intended.

You can definently, absolutely shoot/throw and hit sentinal npcs.  The trick is that the only thing taken into account from the victims end is agility.  I've never seen the code, but from my experiences its something like old D&D THAcO, only more complicated.  Since those tandu and gortok have some hellishly high agilities, you need to be damn good with a bow to hit them.  Ever try to shoot a halfling?  Same situation.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I agree with the kicking and bashing.  Perhaps something that could be done is to take into account the kick/bash skill for defending against?  I don't know if the combat code already takes that into account, but if it does, maybe it could be jacked up so that it is more effective.  I hate fights where something is kicked to death because it couldn't be hit any other way.  That and seeing a huge, albeit shorter dwarf being knocked to the floor after trying to bowl over a tall, spindly elf.

That said, I'd be for a hard-coded system for tiring in combat.  Like, actually having combat sap one's stamina and having the combat commands require x stamina per pop.  It makes sense in so many ways and it'd be a solution for twinkish behaviour.  But that'd be a new feature I suppose, heh.

Here's a 'bug' that always bugged me (heh) - has anyone ever noticed that if you've got two of the same container and start putting stuff in/taking things out, their order always gets reversed?  Kind of trivial, I know, but it's always so annoying when I forget about it.
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Here's some bugs.  I haven't been checking up on them, so some of them might have been fixed already....or they might not be bugs at all.

#1: Dwarf aging.

According to the helpfiles humans live an average of 65 years, and dwarfs 100 (a ratio of 2:3).  A 20 year old huiman is 'adult' so a 30 year old dwarf should be adult.  But in reality dwarfs don't show up as adult untill they are about 45.  I suspect that the racial multiplier for dwarfs have been doubled somewhere, since 30:45 = 20:30.  I also suspect that the stat modifiers for age work on the proper ratio, so you can stats for a middle aged character with one who still shows up as young. I don't know if this effects other races or not.

#2: Subduing mounted people.

Wierd stuff happens when you subdue mounted people. This has been partially fixed, I think.  It used to be that the person you subdued would turn invisible and you couldn't see them in the room once you let them go.  That works now (I think) but there seems to be problems with hitching their kanks.

#3: Kanks disapearing when you kill their owners.

Grr...

#4: Kanks becoming wanted if you attack them in the city.

This is both abusable and silly.  Some twink attacks your kank in the middle of the city only to laugh his ass off as a bunch of npc templars run in and brutally slaughter your mount in the name of the highlord.

#5: Stumbling up in the dark.

I'd understand stumbling down, but who'd accidently fall up?

#6: Long spice and alcohol effects.

It takes 6 RL hours to go from plastered to sober.  That's 4 ic days if you play straight, and a whole IC month if you play 1 hour a day.

#7: Spiked shields.

You can make shield spikes, you can make shields, but spiked shields don't seem to be makable.  (I've never had the armor crafting skill so I'm not sure.)

#8: Shooting up.

If you shoot at something upwards and you miss the arrow doesn't fall down again.

#9: Giving things to yourself.

The tall, blonde-haired man gives some coins to the tall, blonde-haired man.

#10: Alcohol wierdness.

If you drink 10 shot glasses of whiskey you get really drunk, but if you pour 10 shotglasses into one waterskin and drink it there is hardly any effect.  The law of conservation of alchohol must be obeyed!
Ah, the mysteries of the universe.  Try to understand them, but can you?  Nope! They're mysteries!

Ok, Tandu do wander, and I know agi has a lot to do with it, but tandu agi is not nearly as hi as a few other things my char routinly kills with throw/archery, and as I said, this was not shoot 10 arrows then quit, this was 4 chars unloading everything they had, no wind, one room away on one tandu, better then 40 arrows, 9 knives and more, then move, tandu flee, and do it again, zero hits, but my char can kill a duskhorn with 2 throws and hits other higher agi mobs, feels buggy to me.

Also feels buggy when you cannot sneak up on an animal, that should be fixed.

and somebody mentioned shooting up and arrows don't come down, well, I figure they just come down somewhere else, but what is worse is when you are disarmed and the weapon goes flying up but never comes down, what, that gith knocked my halbard 5 leagues away?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Wintermute"Here's a 'bug' that always bugged me (heh) - has anyone ever noticed that if you've got two of the same container and start putting stuff in/taking things out, their order always gets reversed?  Kind of trivial, I know, but it's always so annoying when I forget about it.

Ugh, absolutely!  The most recently put/get argument becomes 1.container.  I hate that.  How many times have I been stuck in a circular pattern of getting <item> putting <item> right back where it was?  Heh.

I hate WAITSTATES (or whatever they're called) in the code when you screw up arguments.  shoot hmuan west or whatever that lags you when the code tells you you've done nothing.  Why does the new listen status give a waitstate?  Or listen off for that matter?

Also, I would love a message telling me an item is not craftable if I analyze it.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I have to agree with the wait-state on Listen status. It actually appears that listen status wait state is longer than just plain listen (or that might be my imagination). Either way, it's still rather frustrating.

Also, some wait-states could simply be improved upon by letting emote arguments go through. Like listen. While you are "listening" you could emote but the actual command's wait-state puts a lag after the entrance of the command. Is it possible to make things like look and emote pierce that wait state?
se K.Y. jelly to grease up your chihauha and set him loose in the sewers to establish a beachhead for your underground empire.

I know for a fact you can shoot and kill tandu.  I've done it.  Same story with the gortoks.  It -IS- possible, but you need to be ridiculously skilled or blessed with insane agility (or both) to pull it off. (I had a twenty day ranger with exceptional agility who only used archery, never combat)

As has been mentioned uncountable times before, archery (and maybe even throw) need to be overhauled in a bad way, but I have yet to come up against something that is unhittable with an arrow.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Glowworm's biggest beef with the code, that is currently in place:
Transferrence of ownership of items...
I think the game should automatically save your character every time you recieve, give, drop, put, or get an item.  Similarly, I think rooms/storage containers should save every time they gain or lose an item.

Glowworm's beef #2:
Gambling...
It frustrates me to no end that I can't figure out how some of those gambling games are playing at the Barrel in Allanak and at the Wheel in Luirs.  For the most part, I only remember card games being listed in the helpfiles.  How the heck is that dice game played in the upper right corner of the wheel???  I remember there was some helpfile I saw in the game a while ago that explained the dice/checkerboard game down at the Barrel, but I can't find it anymore because I don't think it's referrenced very well.  Maybe add a helpfile under the title "gambling" that includes not only Kruth and other card games, but also izdari and the various games found in the gambling establishments.

Glowworm's beef #3:
A verrin hawk circles overhead, but swoops down close so you can kill it easier...
Flying creatures, if their sdesc indicates that they are in fact in the air, should only be attackable with ranged weapons unless they initiate combat or unless the attacker if flying him/herself.  Similarly, flying PC's or PC's mounted on flying beasts should only be attackable with ranged weapons unless they initiate combat.

Glowworm's final beef, for now:
Not being able to see into a lit room, if you are in a dark room (disregarding sandstorms)...
In real life, if I'm standing out in an unlit street I can look into a lit house (provided there are windows) and see things in that house in clear detail.

I'm probably the only one this ever happened to.

If you're poisoned and do a 'quit test' on a room the code reacts as if you actually quit - possibly leading to insta-death.  I lost a (probably doomed anyway) character like that.
 Manic depressive puss-wuss

Since its already been mentioned, I'll just chime in that:

subdue <pc> ; hit <pc>

Needs to be adjusted.  No way you can lock someone in grasp and then get off a free hit.  Have your buddy do that and I don't care.

Having just lost a 27 day old warrior to a poison he was holding the cure for at the time, I'd like to say:

Please make tablets and food seperate things. A swallow command for them could avoid the whole too full to eat things. If I was really dieing and didn't think I could fit the cure in my stomach, I'd induce vomitting and damn well wash the tablet back down with a cup of stomach bile if I had to.

The bug I hate the most is when certain NPCs get twice the amount of attacks they should when they initiate combat with you.  It looks like I'm about to lose my current character because of that.

For the discussion on subdue... a half-giant could DEFINITELY attack you while they have you a hold.  They really only need one hand.  Furthermore, they could slam you into a cliff, crush your head undefoot like a melon, or just squeeze you until your ribcage is broken and your unconscious.  A mul could probably do most of those things too, although they'd have to hold you with two hands if they want to restrain you for more than a few moments.  However, a mul doesn't need to use subdue to kick your ass, so they wouldn't get hit nearly as hard if the code was changed in that matter.

Thats really the only thing that makes a half-giant dangerous.  Take it away and you have a 12 foot tall pussycat.
Back from a long retirement

Oh. What Krelin brought up well have to be it. Bash. Alright last I heard it was somewhat fixed that you can't heal if you fell on your arse because of a bash, rather basher or bashee, but I'd still like to see it *fixed*. It really doesn't seem to do anything, sometimes it seems people fight better after being bashed then they did before.

Oh, but most of all I'd like to see kicked fixed. It's just TOO outragiously powered when more often then not kick is the determining factor in killing things.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I've just got one thing, and it's not really a bug.  It's so close to a bug, it should be, though.
We should be able to craft for specific characters, so they get their merchandise in their size.

craft length into white sandcloth turban for sanvean

something like that.  Of course, you couldn't write original items, you'd just be making the stuff you made before, just in a different size.

A slender wooden spear flies in from the south and hits the ground.
You suddenly feel very sick.
You start puking out your insides even though the spear came nowhere near your agile, skinny ass. Ingest all tablets you have now in a frenzy.

So, uh. Yeah. Halfling spears missing and still managing to poison you. Fix that!

Hot_Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Bug:  NPC's not having wait-states.

If a gith kicks you, it shouldn't be able to kick you again right away or flee immediately after.  They should have the same 20 second delay pc's have.  Same for kill, same for subdue, same for every ability.  Yes, they are mindless automatons who can't really save themselves.  So what?  I cannot think of one reason to justify giving npc's any sort of advantage over pc's, the stars and heros of Arm.  If an npc dies?  So what, its an npc.  If a pc escapes the clutches of death from some lagged npc's, so what?  The player now has a story to tell

About the quit delay thing:
If you need to quit out (key word: need) and you're in a safe place and no one's chasing you and stuff (which is really the only time you should be allowed past the quit delay) then just go into a low traffic area (for instance, a certain balcony in a certain mercenary group's certain compound) and queue up "east; west; east; west" about fifty times, throw the route back to the quit room into the queue, and finish it off with "quit; x".
Leave your computer and mud client on, though.  In my experience, this trick doesn't work if you close anything.

The script most likley works like a motion detector, it takes a picture at say on entering a room, the picture is of everything that is there, this picture is the room if a char/npc/mob is there it is the room, changes in the picture trigger the flee, I think it works on a somewhat Higher level though and the picture is the same picture that an imm would see and so, the mob has imm-vision (copyright)  :wink: and so, sees the room flags and all and cannot be snuck up on, I say this because I have had a char sneak into a room with another char and a tandu already in it, the char in the room with the tandu did not see my chars arrivel yet the tandu still fled.......Or maybe they take the picture AND look 99 times a second :?:

Maybe should be fixed though
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I don't like that cloaks always hide items worn underneath.  To some degree it's nice, because it eliminates those silly page long eq. lists that remind me of H&S MUDs.  However, if I am wearing:

<worn around body> a torn, velvet cloak
<worn on torso> a black linen dress
<worn on feet> a pair of black shoes

What other people see is:

<worn around body>     a torn, velvet cloak
<worn on feet>             a pair of black shoes

It looks like I'm a flasher or something!  :?

A cloak covers your back more than your front, and since it clasps at the top, it generally leaves most of your front half open to view.  What I like about cloaks eliminating is your belt, your weapons, and all the other spam that might be visible that doesn't need to be.  But I wouldn't mind a command that allows you to have what is worn on torso revealed.  Such as:

open cloak
>You hoist the sides of your cloak over your shoulder.

close cloak
>You pull your cloak closer about yourself.

And when your cloak is opened, people can see what is underneath, when it's closed, it operates how the current code runs.

Though that all sounds like a lot of work to implement such a thing.  Another alternative is to simply allow cloaks and similar items (capes, longcoats, etc.) to have a hold command.  This way you can enter a tavern, take off your cloak and hold it.

Occasionally I have run into a problem where I'll try to open by backpack, and it'll just act as if I only pressed enter or something, showing me a new prompt. It seems to go away when I log off, and then on, but is -very- annoying when I'm still logged on.

I would have to second the vote to fix the poisoned projectile problem. I think there are two versions one which Hot_dancer pointed out the other comes in affect when you are using a shield:

A <insert your favorite poisoned projectile> flies in from the east and strikes your shield!
You feel very sick.

Now if we assume that the spear/arrow/dart/etc broke your shield and hit you in the arm it works. But the shield is intact so I think the poisined weapon should not get to fulfill it's dark task.

I've got one!

When you get hit in combat, you're mount may throw you off.  Fair enough.  But they also throw you off when you take damage from poison, which seems like a bug to me.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I was pretty irked when one of my favorite pc's died to that poison message bug. I got the message that the spear hit the ground, I took a big fat ZERO in physical/stun damage, but I was miraculously poisoned. Started vomiting etc...  I mailed in about it, but the imm said that it does it alot or something. Basically the death was lagit. Would be nice if that didn't happen anymore.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

get chair, put chair don't work between tables with the same keywords (you can't "get chair 2.table".  Other stuff with tables with the same keywords is also broken.  One way to handle this would be to not have rooms with tables like that (like the Ghaati teahouse roof)

Quote from: "Gorobei"A-hah!  I died to that one myself, Angela.
They wouldn't give me a res because they wanted someone to repeat it.  Good to know I'm not crazy.  At least not dellusional.

I've died to it too.  Everytime I took dammage from the poison I got bucked off my kank, it was a newbie character with a low ride skill, I guess.  So as well as the poison damage, I got hit with kank throwing dammage!  Would I have been able to ride back home in time and find a cure for the poison if the kank dammage hadn't killed me?  Maybe, but I doubt it.  My character had no friends, and was sort of lost when she got poisoned.   :P  The only explanation I could think of is that the burning poison causes you to tense up and shudder in a way that kanks don't like, so the buck you off.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins