Top Ten Bug Fixes

Started by Sanvean, January 23, 2003, 02:29:33 PM

If you had to come up with the top ten bug fixes you would like to see, what would they be? Note: not ideas, like "there should be a spice that allows you to shoot flames out of your eyes" but existing code that doesn't work in the way it should.

When you rescue someone that "Banzi!" is annoying and, for me at least, makes me feel like some suicide bomber. Would be cool if it could be changed...but then again, I guess thats kinda borderline idea so...

Aside from that, none come to mind right now but if they do, I'll slap them up here =)
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I don't know if it's still around, but one thing I despised was not being able to eat a pill when full.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Certain things you can do using code that don't show you any emit, so you have no idea if it worked or not. Things like various spells. If I'm casting a spell on someone, and it actually worked, then I would certainly be able to see it, wouln't I? "OK" just kinda leaves a big "huh?" in my mind.

Also, opening a container. If I have three "packs" and each one is different, and I "open pack" I *should* be able to tell which one I just opened, without having to look inside it, no? Other people will see me opening "the sizeable" pack, but all I see is "ok."

Just basically anything that returns an "ok" is something I would consider a bug that should be fixed.

#1 - Arrows, feathers, etc. should be able to way .5 stones, or .3 stones.  An arrow or ring that ways a pound doesn't make sense to me.

#2 - Wagon code.  Locked wagons are impenetrable fortresses that cannot be stopped.  If their mounts were actual NPCs that could be killed it would add a whole new dimension to raiding.

#3 - Listen really shouldn't listen to the entire room but should be limited to a target table or person.  IMHO.  I know its not necessarily a bug...

#4 - I also know its not a bug but the back room in a Tavern should actually have a door and be a room, IMHO.  Maybe have it right behind the barkeepers and make it unpickable so people don't get silly.

#5 - Viewing a crossbow should tell you whether or not you are strong enough to use it.

#6 - I know its not a 'bug' per se, again, but once you barter out a deal with a merchant NPC that should be the price for all the rest of the same items you buy for the rest of that day.  Its weird when you can buy one sack of flour for 89 gerbilsnacks, but can't get lower than 95 for the next sack.

#7 - Viewing an item in the shopkeepers inventory should also tell you what you can craft from it.  This would be a big step towards making the economy more player driven, IMHO, especially if Naephet's price changes help keep people from being able to turn uber sid a day crafting.

#8 - Merchants should speak in sirihish/allundean/mirukkim depending on their race.  An elf who doesn't know sirihish shouldn't be able to magickally speak to a merchant NPC that doesn't know Allundean.

#9 - Regen of HPs/Stamina/Stun when bashed should be eliminated.

#10 - Psi ability should be more reliant on wisdom than amount of stun.  I've had muls that were great with the Way because they had high endurance and regenned stun quickly, but at the same time I've had very wise elves who weren't anywhere near as good.  I know the Way is purposefully left a nebulous part of this game, but I would think mental ability would be more key than how tough your butt is.

Thanks.

From the help file on "skill_bash"
Notes:

Quote...If your character misses a bash, he/she will fall over and thus be in
the same unenviable position as the opponent, had your character been
successful.

It is impossible to bash while your character is mounted.
Size and strength can make a big difference in the success of a bashing
attempt.

Delay:
after (if success: opponent after)

When I have succesfully bashed in the past I always get a delay of about 10-12 seconds. I was under the impression that I should have no delay if I succeded. If that is not really a bug then the help file should be changed accordingly.

Other than that I am not sure what are the "BUGS" that are actually present. If you gave us a list of all the bugs and asked us to pick the top ten that might help if you are trying to figure out the priority in which you want to fix them.

QuoteCertain things you can do using code that don't show you any emit, so you have no idea if it worked or not. Things like various spells. If I'm casting a spell on someone, and it actually worked, then I would certainly be able to see it, wouln't I? "OK" just kinda leaves a big "huh?" in my mind.

If you could provide specifics, that would be really handy. Bugging them in game would be fine, i.e., "bug When I cast the calm spell, I just get Ok as a message."

#1 Tandu and missile weapons, try to hit one once, pretty sure that is a bug, can't imagine every single arrow, knife, bolo and other throwables from 4 chars one room away (and not new chars either) missing, and not just 5 or six, 40-60 items....but maybe they just all suck.

#2 movement emote echo, really needs one.

Oh, and a really annoying one, you have no light and it is night, you can follow somebody with a light no prob, but if they enter a building with the enter command, your stuck until the come out and you have to enter first.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I think my only problem not mentioned has been with quivers. You can only "Pull quiver" I can't "pull flight quiver" or "pull sheaf quiver" Hunter have different types of arrows for different types of things, and since pull just pulls from the "top" of the quiver, you hardly get the one you want.

Oh! And a quibble with the count command. I'd like to be able to count inside containers. count screws can
There are 17 screws in the can

And perhaps this is just a suggestion too... auto-hitch mounts to the person who offered the tickets. Has anyone tried a disorderly Byn stable trip lately?

Dammit. None of those were bugs, I'm a failure.

1: Subdue.  Attacks on subdued people should have a small chance to hit the subduer (unless they are doing the attacking) and the damage should be decreased to normal damage, just no chance to evade.

2: Mounts need to be hitchable to mounts

3: Partial stone weight for small items.

4: Bash/subdue should take into account race (ie body type) not just height and weight.  D-elves are way too buff in this regard because they can be so tall, while dwarves get the shaft.

5: No-delay when following needs to be eliminated.  Example:  If you follow someone who moves at the same speed or slower (might just be slower) then your speed (whether walking, running whatever) you can enter a command immediately with no movement delay.  Think grouped aggro mobs like gith or gortoks.

6: Insta-attacking/subduing soldiers.  To balance the abuse of people running, just give them a form of track that works versus anyone they begin to chase.

7: I don't know how feasable this is, but make mounts keep their stats and titles when rented or quit out, not just load the mob number.  Would allow people to actually hunt down stronger, faster mounts and create a new market for players.  Also let people barter with mount sellers

8: Let people sober up QUICK if they are sleeping.  Its hard to rp getting trashed and reporting to work the next day.  A hangover type thing (deduction of stats/skills/whatever) would be cool, but it takes RL hours to sober up from intoxicated.  Spice/drunk states should also clear if your character is logged out for a certain number of RL hours, like four or more.

9: There should be an echo for any command you can add an emote too.  Looks, walking etc.

10: EVERYTHING that is takeable should be holdable and wieldable, weight allowing.  I hate that I can't hold a mug in my primary hand, or hold onto certain helmets.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Oh, that last one gave me an idea. Be able to hitch items to mounts? You know.. I've got my inix, and a bigass chunk of Mek hide that I can't pick up, how am I going to get it home if I can't pick it up, put it in a pack and 'pack' it on my Inix? hitch hide inix Probably no more than one item could be packed this way, and would seriously slow you down, weight depending.

1) I would really like to see the entire weight system jacked up a decimal.  So, anything that is 1 stone becomes 10 stones.  Anything 10 stones becomes 100 stones.  So, that 30 stone armor of yours become 300 stones.  That, or add a single decimal place so that you could have a 0.1 item.  I know this would be a royal pain in the ass, but boy, it would be really nice if 10 feathers wouldn't bring an elf to his knees.

2)  Fix disarm so that people can't immediately pick up a weapon and not suffer getting hit.  Right now under certain circumstance you can get disarmed, lose a weapon, and pick it back up without letting your opponent get a free shot in.

3)  While not a bug per say, give bash more fail messages, including both people remaining standing.

4)  Again, not a 'bug' per say, but a gaping inaccuracy that many PKs exploit to death.  I would kill to see subdue fixed.  Namely, split subdue into two pieces.  The attempt to subdue and the ability to keep someone subdued should be two different things.  Namely, attempting to subdue should be based off of skill and agility – getting your hands on them.  Holding them should be skill and strength.  Also, make defense defend against subdue like it does any other attack.  This would dramatically reduce the number of complaints about day old half giants subduing and killing 50 day old master warriors who can kill the giant before they cycle their first swing.  Once you are in a giants hands you should be in trouble, but it shouldn't be something a master warrior is terrified of happening.

5)  Have kick take into account the defense of the target.  Kicking shouldn't be the way two skilled warriors bring each other down.

6)  Remove the bonus that duel wielding gives to picking projectiles out of the air and make defense a guard against arrows.  Seems like a hold over from old code that lets you swipe arrows out the air without a shield.  Without a shield, defense should be the only thing to keep you safe and perhaps a –very- lucky parry.  Right now you either parry or you eat four gith spears.  Defense, i.e., the ability to dodge a hit, should let you avoid missile attacks, and parrying without a shield should against missiles should be damned near impossible.

7)  Alter wagons so that they are susceptible to the wastes.  Something as simple as gith boarding wagons that fly past would be a start.  Getting real fancy they could scrip the wagon to be stopped until they are dealt with.  Seems like an oversight that people travel alone in wagons without a worry in the world of being harmed.

8)  Give poison a delay.  Poison should not act instantly, and you should not instantly know you are poisoned unless the poison is very fast acting.

9)  Poison, spice, and alcohol resistance code being fixed and put back in would be wonderful.  Not a bug fix, but a spice addiction code would also be nice.

10)  It would be great if armors were reviewed and given penalties to stamina and agility.  It would make picking a lighter armor a more viable choice code wise.  It would keep heavy armors on people who don't think they are going to be doing much running.

Quote from: "Marc"6: Insta-attacking/subduing soldiers.  To balance the abuse of people running, just give them a form of track that works versus anyone they begin to chase.

One could give soldiers the 'hunting' skill.  However, instead of having them search for tracks, it would echo, "The buff soldier stops to speak to a passing citizen."  This way, you can not run a couple of rooms away from a soldier and be safe.  You would have to keep moving or else they would catch up with you.  They would, code wise, track you like any other animal would, they would just use a different echo that is appropriate to a city.  If this was done, you could eliminate instant subduing as the playing field would be more even.

Additionally though, it would be great if sneaking was fixed so that it worked against agro NPCs.  I believe that it is currently impossible to sneak past a guard that is aggressive to you.  If guards are going to track people down, then thieves and such need to be able to sneak past.  A failed sneak of course would result in the soldier charging into the room as normal.

Quote from: "Tony"
Oh! And a quibble with the count command. I'd like to be able to count inside containers. count screws can
There are 17 screws in the can

You can do this already, I do it all the time.  The trick is the container has to be in your inventory or in the room, not worn on your body, so you have to remove your quiver to count the arrows inside.  I guess that makes sense most of the time, because if you are wearing the object on your back it is going to be difficult to count what is inside it.

As for bugs, the only one I can think of is when unpacking heavy items, sometimes the item is too heavy for me to unpack from my mount.  If I have a heavy backpack, I can wear the backpack and still move around because packs are lighter when worn, but if I pack the backpack I can't unpack it.  There is no way to make the backpack lighter, because you can't remove items from a container packed on a mount.  That leaves me either trying to hire a friendly dwarf to unpack my mount for me, or dropping all my clothes on the ground in an attempt to lower my encumberance enough to make the backpack fall within my liftable weight allowance; and both stripping in the stable or asking someone else to unpack the backpack seem a little dicy ICly to me.  

This can be a real pain in the ass if you want to log out quickly and you are not a ranger, because you cannot rent a mount without unpacking it, and you can't take the mount with you into a place you can quit.  One day I was basically idling on Caravan road for more than an hour waiting for someone to come by who could help me (I paid a byn dwarf to unpack the bag for me, only time I've ever hired a mercenary).

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Rindan"
Additionally though, it would be great if sneaking was fixed so that it worked against agro NPCs.  I believe that it is currently impossible to sneak past a guard that is aggressive to you.  If guards are going to track people down, then thieves and such need to be able to sneak past.  A failed sneak of course would result in the soldier charging into the room as normal.

Ditto with sneaking against cowardly creatures.  Maybe I've always sucked at sneaking, but it seems like you can't sneak into a room with creatures that auto-flee.  It is probably more of an issue with wilderness sneak than city sneak, since there aren't many auto-flee creatures in the city that you'd be looking to kill anyway.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Ditto with sneaking against cowardly creatures.  Maybe I've always sucked at sneaking, but it seems like you can't sneak into a room with creatures that auto-flee.  It is probably more of an issue with wilderness sneak than city sneak, since there aren't many auto-flee creatures in the city that you'd be looking to kill anyway.

I forgot about that bug too.  Sneak in general could use an overhaul when dealing with NPCs.  Perhaps one solution would be to make it so that hide is not undone by sneaking.  Thus, if you want to sneak past a soldier or sneak up on a duskhorn, you first hide, then sneak.  If you pass a sneak role then you never come out of hiding while you move.

Some of this is great stuff, but agian, please, confine yourself to bugs? Code that is in place but doesn't work as it should. New features are nice, but this isn't what I'm looking for right now. Thanks :)

I haven't read most of the above suggestions yet because I don't want to forget mine.  Sorry if they've already been stated.

1)  All rented tavern rooms should have coded doors that open and close, especially since their room descriptions say this.  Right now there are a number of them that don't, some that do.

2)  I thoroughly dislike the clean code.  The idea seems an original and neat invention.  Very befitting for a low fantasy setting.  But the code is too perfect.  You run one room and your clothes are immersed in sweat.  Even sometimes armor is sweat-stained, and thick, boiled leather would really take a long time before sweat stains it.  If this code were tweaked only slightly, I would really consider it a fine addition to the MUD.  

I look forward to some day when I try out a desert elf, but I know that means having a wardrobe of items that all have very long sdescs.  Sometimes I clean my clothes even though it's not IC for me to do, simply because the length of the sdesc has become two lines; though that's a separate issue and I'm mostly concerned with how quickly items dirty.

3) This is probably on purpose, but I don't like how some merchant NPCs switch their stock each reboot.  I don't mean items players have bought/sold, rather, a certain style of clothing that fluxuates, as if to suggest the changing tide of fashion.  The reason is I feel ArmageddonMUD needs far more items in the game.  The closer to infinite there are, the closer I feel able to express my character.  Why not let these NPCs sell the entire selection all the time?  I would have no qualms if the average shopkeeper sold over 100 items, though maybe this slows the game down.  It's just a personal preference.  I know some elf NPC shopkeepers sell a lot, even after reboots, and I believe this is to represent that elves are the best race at acquiring goods.  This is a little different than my suggestion.  I'm saying there are NPCs who have a "Week 1" stock and a "Week 2 stock", maybe the difference is a colour scheme.  I'd like to see the entire selection available at once.

I don't have a 4, 5, 6, and so on, but that's my contribution.

Quote from: "Hoodwink"3) This is probably on purpose, but I don't like how some merchant NPCs switch their stock each reboot.  I don't mean items players have bought/sold, rather, a certain style of clothing that fluxuates, as if to suggest the changing tide of fashion.  The reason is I feel ArmageddonMUD needs far more items in the game.  The closer to infinite there are, the closer I feel able to express my character.  Why not let these NPCs sell the entire selection all the time?  I would have no qualms if the average shopkeeper sold over 100 items, though maybe this slows the game down.  It's just a personal preference.  I know some elf NPC shopkeepers sell a lot, even after reboots, and I believe this is to represent that elves are the best race at acquiring goods.  This is a little different than my suggestion.  I'm saying there are NPCs who have a "Week 1" stock and a "Week 2 stock", maybe the difference is a colour scheme.  I'd like to see the entire selection available at once.

On that note, one bug that would be great to see fixed would be the one that limits how much of a shops inventory one can see.  Right now, once a shop his 125 or so you can't see anything else beyond that.

If NPCs don't wander.  Or don't have the flag for moving or wandering about, they are immune to projectiles, that's why you couldn't hit the tandu. That's why gate guards are immune to archery and throw, thats also why wild many gortoks are immune to it, not sure if it is a bug, but it sure does suck.

-I have noticed that when you hold (i.e. ES) a piece of soap and clean something with it, you get a message that the soap is used up, but you still have it. However, if you just have it in your inventory, it disappears.
On a related note, it would be nice if even the smallest piece of soap you buy has at least 3 uses in it, if it is really going to disappear.

-Hoods/masks and the Way. When you Way someone hooded, you first contact "the figure in a hooded blah blah blah" then when you send your message you send it to "the dark-haired man". Either you should be able to tell who it is or not, IMO, and I'm not really sure which it should be, because I suspect everyone views the Way a bit differently. But whether the sender can clearly picture the receiver or not, the messaging should be consistent.

-Tailors, stable employees, cleaners, etc. should either be trained to treat 'give' the same as 'offer' or not accept 'give'.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

When you do something like "emote tucks away ~knife" you get "The big black man tucks away your bone knife" instead of "The big black man tucks away his bone knife" ... jarring to me. This is the one thing that's made me almost totally avoid using the "~" to refer to things in my inventory or equipment list in emoting. It should be changed so that the sense of referral is consistent. All IMO.

Swordsman

Acctually, I'm going to agree with Swordsman about the your and his in emotes.

Now if it emoting did something like,

You put away your bone knife.

It'd work. But when it says things the way it does, it just is rather odd, and I'm wouldn't think it'd be hard to fix it.

Also, I wouldn't much like it to say, 'You put away your bone knife' don't know why, just feel I'd rather see things from an outside perception.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I don't understand you creeper.  You type weird.

I agree with creeper on keeping emotes from becoming first person.

I personally would hate it if I got "You walk across the room, your long cloak sweeping behind you." when I emoted.

I much to prefer to see it the way it is now, or even fixed to say:  "The balding, one-eyed templar walks across the room, his long cloak sweeping behind him."  which is what everyone sees anyway.