Explain the Unexplainable.

Started by Maybe42or54, December 16, 2005, 08:04:55 PM

Let's do something we don't normally do. Instead of bitching about stuff we need to change, let's explain it.

For the first instance, insta-subdue/kill soldiers will be explained.

When someone becomes wanted in our magickal faearie land of Zalanthas, a templar's thoughts become distressed.

When that happens, A mindbender slave automagickally picks up the signal and stamps the wanted person's brain with a "arrest my sorry ass" signal. So every subconcious thought this criminal makes, it sends out a mental urge to arrest them, to the surrounding area.

So a soldier will see a man in a cloak, if he is in a crowd of similarily cloaked figures, or not and he will get the uncontrollable urge to arrest their sorry ass. He doesn't know why, but he wants to.

So he will tackle that person and arrest them, without knowing why.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Or, it's a limitation of the code and we move on because there's more valuable coding work to be done than adjusting the crim-code?  

If you *must* have some explanation, no, I wouldn't say there's some mindbender slave.  I'd just say in either city-state the rooms where crim-code is active are filled with virtual soldiers who rush to make the arrest if they even suspect someone might be breaking the law.  

How do they alert the entire city to look out for me!  There's another limitation of the code, but from a different perspective.  You technically shouldn't be able to run from one side of an enormous city to another in 60 seconds.  You sure as hell shouldn't be able to run 3 city blocks faster than a soldier can Way his buddy you're unwittingly running towards to be on the look out for you.

To summarize my point:

Running from the law is difficult.  This is realistic.  While the code may not be a masterpiece of chaos mathematics to determine whether or not a criminal escapes I think it encompasses the risk pretty well.

Commoner:
contact soldier
psi *with an image of the black, cloaked fellow* This black cloak fellow with bright blue eyes just kilt a man in the streets!

Soldier:

contact templar
psi *with an image of the black, cloaked fellow* Lord Templar, we have reports of a murder.

Templar:
contact soldier
psi Contact your associates. Put him down quickly. Alive if possible, but dead is just as good.

How long do you think it will take for you image to be pushed to most of the city street patrol?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

The idea is that each person explains something else that really makes no sense within the game world. So it makes sense.

You have a code limitation? Explain it.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"

You have a code limitation? Explain it.

Yeah, sure.  Time management.  In order to build a 'smart' crime code system it would require a large time investment by the staff for relatively little 'reward'.  Sure, the system might be 10-20% better than it is right now, but for the same amount of time we could have ten other 'cool' things put into the game like spells, commands and at least a dozen partly eaten brainz.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

spells, commands, dozen partly eaten brainz > slightly improved crime code.

If you're truly after an in-game explanation for how the Templarate/Militia is immediately alerted if someone is wanted, I think we've given you a pretty good one.  I'd think of it just like the normal police, you try and run and they bust out their radio and call for backup.  Same is true in Zalanthas, just psionically which is a far more useful communication system.

Zalanthan's actually do not have a sense of thirst.  They just have a sense of dehydration.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "JohnGalt"

If you're truly after an in-game explanation for how the Templarate/Militia is immediately alerted if someone is wanted, I think we've given you a pretty good one.  

I gave my explanation, so I don't want one from you. I want you to explain something else that is unexplainable.

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"

I gave my explanation, so I don't want one from you. I want you to explain something else that is unexplainable.

Oh, I see.  Well I disagree that the above is beyond explanation in-game.  But if you want something that really isn't explainable, link dead players works for me.  You can say they're "krath struck" or narcoleptic or whatever, but there's really no true explanation.

I don't really see that much of a problem. If you're a reasonably good "sneaky" guy you can avoid the fuzz easily.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Think about it like this, if you commit a crime in RL and the cops are there, its a sure good chance your done.. Hell watch cops sometime.  If you are seen, a general description is out on you and if the cops loose your sorry ass, there is a good chance they can hunt you down if you are in the area.  So yes you may be hooded among others but that is not going to stop the militia, they already know what there looking for and will detain as many as needed to get there man.

Can an Imm delete this thread?

It doesn't seem people got the idea that they could try to explain the unexplainable, instead they are doing what we usually do and pick apart an answer. So please delete this thread.

We think that humans on Zalanthas are normal sized.  Nope.  They're small, like bugs.  And that's how kanks and other giant insects can exist.

This is also how we can ride from Allanak to Tuluk in about five minutes.  Have you ever watched a bug move?  Fast little guys, aren't they?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

now thats a concept..  A day in the life of a bug raider.

A zalanthan can throw a knife, or a spear for more than 1.5 mile and hit a target.  They have that much strong arm, no matter how much they suck at carrying stuff around.

Skinning weapons are actually devices of teleportation.  When you attempt to use them on a dead body, it first calculates the odds what you will get from it.  Then it opens a portal to a plane of existance which contains those goods you will get from the body, and teleport them to you, taking the whole body in exchange and throwing it through that portal and closing it again.  And the best part is, you don't even need to wait for this.  All you need is just to attempt to skin it, and you will get the result in the blink of an eye.

The boards in the taverns you know.. Well.. They are not boards.  What actually happens there is, there are a bunch of people talking the same subject over and over and over and over again using the exact same words.  So -whenever- you go to a tavern, you can just hear the same rumor right away.

A bowl in Zalanthas is actually resembles more of what we know as a thermos. That's why I can keep my soup in my backpack.

Zalanthans actually have three psionic powers.  The third is the ability to hear EVERYTHING.  It's amazing.  It doesn't even cost any stun points.
Back from a long retirement

Zalanthans can walk more than a mile in the blink of an eye.  They can even walk a distance more than 40 miles within half an hour.