The Salt Flats

Started by IAmJacksOpinion, December 15, 2005, 11:34:03 PM

I've been playing a character that's done quite a bit of salt foraging recently, and it's given my this question. What are the Flats like?

The description says they're really flat and white. Thanks! Is it a thin layer of white scattered over regular sand? Is it basically like walking in one of those giant cardboard cylinders with the girl with the umbrella on there? Is the salt incredibly crusted and clumped together?

I've emoted all of them at different times. Another idea I saw was someone prodding in a "vein" of salt with the tip of his spear. I don't know how salt would form in a vein, but it was all good.

Though all of these ideas stream through my noggin' the one that I seem to favor is that the flats are scattered white powder and every so often you'll find a coagulated clump prodding out of the normal flatness that you can just pick right up. Kinda like searching for pebbles at the beach.

But I want your input. What do these flats look like other than white and flat?
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Google is your friend...

http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildworld/profiles/terrestrial/pa/pa1327_full.html

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/dnh/ncEIk.htm

http://www.roadscholar.org/prog/adv-main.asp?C=Y&src=%2Fprog%2Fadv%2Dmain%2Easp&Did=1%2D1RDG4Y

Quote from: "IAmJacksOpinion"I've been playing a character that's done quite a bit of salt foraging recently, and it's given my this question. What are the Flats like?

The description says they're really flat and white. Thanks! Is it a thin layer of white scattered over regular sand? Is it basically like walking in one of those giant cardboard cylinders with the girl with the umbrella on there? Is the salt incredibly crusted and clumped together?

I've emoted all of them at different times. Another idea I saw was someone prodding in a "vein" of salt with the tip of his spear. I don't know how salt would form in a vein, but it was all good.

Though all of these ideas stream through my noggin' the one that I seem to favor is that the flats are scattered white powder and every so often you'll find a coagulated clump prodding out of the normal flatness that you can just pick right up. Kinda like searching for pebbles at the beach.

But I want your input. What do these flats look like other than white and flat?
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

For our salt flats in particular, is it a hard-crusted plain or an expanse of
salt dunes?
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I think the room descs out there refer to the occasional rise or something, but I don't remember ever seeing a 'dune'. I'd say it's a sunbaked expanse that's nearly flat, more or less featureless, and DRY. Tlaloc's picture is just about what I'd always imagined it to be like, mebbe with the occasional discoloration here and there, and ALOT more desolate and ugly...

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Heh, that's a serious amount of salt  :D
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Heh. WOW! I wasn't even aware that salt flats occured IRL. I thought it was something the imms thought up or something.

In this case, why is it so hard to forage salt? I've noticed that all the salt you can mine is either a different color or clarity. So, basically you're out there to hunt color variations?
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

You have to dig for the good stuff. Or walk around a lot to pick at the color distortions. But mostly dig.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

so how exactly does the code work to to dig for salt? or do you just mean that when foraging for salt your digging for it?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Yea.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

It doesn't mean you're digging, exactly. It means what it says. You're foraging. Looking around and poking about. You could be walking along a particularly large crack in the crust, looking for choice grains of salt. Or, you could be prying up sections of crust with your spear-point, poking about a bit underneath them, then smashing them apart and examining the remains for salt deposits. There is alot of room to roleplay as you wish, with the forage code.

A kank has always been essential for my foraging forays. Not for transport, really, but for company. Foraging is tedious, and without someone to chat with, your sanity is gonna crack. Get a kank. They're suprisingly good company, for being a mindless bit of code...

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

title kank Spalding
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."