30 (23.1%)
No
62 (47.7%)
I don't want to think about it/don't really want to know
38 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: September 27, 2005, 11:50:42 AM

Topic is in the subject.  Discuss.

Dwarves and other hairless races obviously don't.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I don't know the answer but I'd like to think it is 'no' and not because I'm making a 'hairy-legged chick fetish' thread in the Idle OOC Chatter forum.

Seems like a lot of work to risk cutting yourself and getting an infection.  Sure men probably shave their face but that's a lot less skin to scrape a chunk of obsidian across.

Well there are lots of theories as to the whens and whys women (American women) started shaving, which was around the early 1900's.

Some people say it was due to prostitutes that wanted smooth legs without stockings.  Others say it was more so because of the hiked up skirts that became popular around WWII that looked silly with stockings.
Some say the trend started with the onset of the sleeveless dress styles of the 1920's, when women started to shave their underarms, and that just continued down to legs. And others still say it is because women feel it makes them look younger.

Who knows for certain why it came into fashion. But it certainly is a modern times habit.

My personal reason for shaving? I have black hair and pale skin.. It's an ugly combo on legs and underarms. Also my legs would look like black christmas trees if left to their own devices.

You may think all that sucks, but the upside is that I have awesomely thick, shiny hair that I can do just about anything with and even though I have to shave my legs twice a day, will never be one of those freaky bald ladies.

Would women of Zalanthas shave? They can't even shower. Men I can see, I mean we are speaking of a much smaller surface area. Women, taking time to shave their legs.. or underarms? Can't see it. It just seems too modern culture for me.

I say no.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I would like to think zalanthan women don't have hair on their legs.

Yes, that definitely is a relieving lie.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I imagine that women shave themselves about as much as men do.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I don't think hairlessness is as appreciated in Zalanthas as it is in here.  This goes for the pubic hair as well as the legs, and there is a simple reason - dwarves are completely hairless, and they're icky.
It's like you shouldn't get a tattoo of the Goatse Man on your lower stomach.  Just makes people tink of icky things and all in all it doesn't help much.  Hairy is good.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I would not put the "icky"ness of the dwarves all on their hairlessness.  Dwarves are short wide with thick muscles.. They look more like a boulder than a humanoid.
Besides, being comepletely bald is something different than not having hair or thick hair on legs/arms/chest.
Hair on zalanthas means more dust, more sand, more sweating. I don't think people would love hair.
some of my posts are serious stuff

As a general practice I would say no.  Although you may gag at a little stubble now, you probably wouldn't if no one had ever given you the idea that body hair was bad, dirty, unattractive, etc.  It is a cultural preference, nothing more.  (Sure, even in a hairy culture a few people would prefer hairlessness, but it would probably be considered a fetish.)

However both men and women might shave their body (and scalp!) hair in certain circumstances.  There could be ceremonial occasions, purification rituals, punishments and such that require shaving.  Shaving is also useful for avoiding or dealing with an infestation of lice or other parasites, although this would probably be used just on longer hair like scalp hair and pubic hair.  If you are living out of the Gaj or Byn dormitories then hairlessness would likely be the only way to avoid lice.  You've seen Zalanthan "ants," just imagine what their lice are like!

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"Topic is in the subject.  Discuss.

Dwarves and other hairless races obviously don't.

I would guess that body hair is something that isn't all that common... since various races haven't needed fur for warmth in a LOT longer then as on earth.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Quote from: "Larrath"I don't think hairlessness is as appreciated in Zalanthas as it is in here.  This goes for the pubic hair as well as the legs, and there is a simple reason - dwarves are completely hairless, and they're icky.

This is a pretty good point.  It stands to reason that shaving your legs would be seen as emulating dwarves.

Isn't leg shaving a mostly-western thing anyways?

Quote from: "HardCarbon"
 I would guess that body hair is something that isn't all that common... since various races haven't needed fur for warmth in a LOT longer then as on earth.

Do you really think your body hair keeps you warm? Do you think that is the only use for body hair?

Hair can be used for other good as well.. Eyelashes? Eyebrows? They aren't keeping your eyes warm are they? No.. they are shielding your eyes from the elements. Sun, dust, sand, dirt.. Hrm..
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Actually, I would believe Zalanthans (men and women) shaving their pubic hair before their legs and their underarms. My sister did work in the Peace Corps in a country in which there was a severe lacking of clean bathing water. It was common practice to shave your naughties, because it helped keep them clean. It helped prevent infection and such in sensitive areas. I don't remember if they shaved their armpits or legs, though. I'm leaning towards no...

Regardless, one could make an arguement for cleanliness and coolness for shaving, but for the most part, that's probably just because most of us like smooth legs. :)
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I'm just surprised and a little disappointed by the high number of "I don't want to know" responses.  This is from a crowd of people that goes on about how awesome torture is, and has occasional threads about innovative torture methods.  But are you guys really -still- that trapped in a suffocating American beauty standard that you *gasp* and worry that  "OMG she got hairy legs!!  Gross!!"

I'd venture to guess they shave their legs about as often as men do, which is to say, not very often at all.

upperclass roman women were expected to shave their legs and armpits...

but really, the only people I -might- see doing that in zalanthas is nobles, men and women alike, if at all. It would be both genders doing that. Not even RL men shave their legs today (unless they are professional cyclists or something of that sort) so I don't see why zalanthan men would be doing that.
Also, in some areas, people have much less hair around their arms and legs. Far east, japan, china... places like that. I don't know about black people, but the average white caucasian definitely has more body hair than other people... So since most people in zalanthas are dark skinned, I'd say some don't even grow leg hair, some have a little and most wouldn't care one bit about shaving. I can see armpit shaving maybe... If you don'T have deodorant available, no hair would lessen the smell... ;)
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Zalantahs woman (and men) have a minimal amount of body hair.  It isn't like they evolved with winters in mind.  It isn't unheard of for humans to have little hair on their bodies.  My girlfriend, who is of Taiwanese ancestry, only shaves her legs once every month and can do it less then five strokes.  She once went two or three months without shaving and I didn't notice until I was squinting at her legs and noticed a couple of pathetic hairs poking up.

I personally don't care either way though.  If the ladies want to emote out their big hair legs, more power to them.  If they want to say they don't grow much in the hair, more power to them.  If they say they shave their legs for sanitary reasons, I can live with it.  Either way, I don't care that much and think it is pretty much up the discretion of the ladies.

I always assumed that unless it says so in a PC's mdesc, or the PC emotes it, that the majority of Zalanthans don't have a lot of body hair.  I also assumed that most Zalanthans of the races that do have hair wouldn't care either way.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

The amount of precious, precious water it would take would keep all but the wealthiest Zalanthans from shaving their legs.

Appearance-conscious nobles, succesful merchants and their aides might do it. It does fake the appearance of youth, and I've no reason to believe youth is considered 'less pretty' in Zalanthas.

Quote from: "jstorrie"The amount of precious, precious water it would take would keep all but the wealthiest Zalanthans from shaving their legs.

Appearance-conscious nobles, succesful merchants and their aides might do it. It does fake the appearance of youth, and I've no reason to believe youth is considered 'less pretty' in Zalanthas.

Where does this assumption that they'd need water come from?
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Thunder Lord"THey may not shave thier legs, but they should! Hair is nasty, should only be on the head.

Do you shave your legs, Mr Lord?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

How does shaving the legs help with hunting?
Pubic hair I can see, it justs gets irritaion with way too much excercise.

Body hair could be very useful in preventing the skin from damage when there's a sandstorm. Even if you're covered head to toe in sandcloth, the wind's gonna whip around and you're gonna get sand in your clothing. Us American-types don't have to worry about "survival" in the same way desert dwellers of the Middle East have to, but I imagine the leg-hairs on their women help keep their skin soft and unmarred.

I think the notion of women in basically a stone-age culture would typically shave their legs is absurd.  Here are my reasons:

1. Shaving is a nasty business from the skin's point of view.  Even with the most modern, surgical steel or titanium implements, shaving produces ingrown hair, skin sensitivity to sunlight, razor burn and rash.  Granted these sympoms do not affect everyone who shaves in the same way, however these are all common side-effects of shaving hair off the body.

2. That said, let's examine the implements that Zalanthan women would have for shaving their legs.  First, if they exist, skin conditioners, softeners and moisturizers would be affordable by only a very, very few women.  As for the shaving tools, obsidian comes to mind as the only substance that is available to most that would be at all effective in holding a razor-sharp edge.  Sure, flint gets pretty damn sharp, but there is no substitute for metal for sharpness, except the crystaline structure of obsidian glass, and that is a poor substitute at best.

3.  In terrestrial humans, there are specific ethnic groups for which body hair grows thick and coarse.  People from hot, tropical and wet climates tend to have thin, fine body hair.  People from colder climates tend to be the ones with thick and coarse hair.  Now, I'm not trying to suggest that earth people who currently LIVE in these climes would adhere to the trends I've stated.  After all, the secrets of evolution by natural selection are death and time.  But people whose ancestors lived for thousands of years in a particular climate will, for the most part, have body hair attributes that match what I've suggested.  Of course, inter-breeding between ethnic groups is also a factor in predisposition.

In my not-so-humble-opinion, the ideal for human survival is for everyone to be fucking everyone else to produce offspring with the greatest diversity in genetic traits.  But, then again, I'm just a naughty monkey.
:twisted:

I simply don't think that most people in Zalanthas would have thick and coarse body hair.  I could be very mistaken here.

As for pubic hair, the thickness of fur in the 'nether regions' tends to be based on cleanliness.  Modern Americans assume cleanliness=free of offensive or pungent scent.  Not true.  We also tend to assume cleanliness means lack of parasites.  This is also not true.  The common louse is most fond of clean, dry scalp and hair.  The dirtier and oilier a head or body is, the less chance of lice infestation.  Aid-workers who travel to areas where washing at least once every day is rare, if not unheard of, will be more succeptible to infestation of body lice BECAUSE of the general state of 'cleanliness' of their bodies compared to everyone else (at least at first).  Not because they can no longer clean themselves as they are used to.

Napoleon Bonaparte had an interesting solution to this problem:  Shave the body and the lice will leave.  He was right, of course.  This he learned from the Romans in their writings on military logistics.  Lye also tends to discourage body lice from staying around.  Of course....lye tends to discourage just about ANYTHING living from staying around!

Due to glandular secretions, the pubic region of the human body is one of the cleanest areas.  By clean, of course, I mean you could eat food off it safely.  Not that it doesn't give off a pungent aroma.  Americans have become obsessed silly over masking or eliminating their body scent.  Something I find amusing since body scent is the most powerful sexual attractor known.  Perhaps the great influence of Victorian prudery on industrial Protestant America has more to do with shaving and masking body scent than any other factor.

Thanks, and have a naughty day!  Oh, and remember...hairy monkeys are SEXIER than hairless ones!
Sniff a few armpits and pubic mounds for the ole naughty monkey, eh?
:twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Quote from: "Rindan"I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Zalantahs woman (and men) have a minimal amount of body hair.  It isn't like they evolved with winters in mind.  It isn't unheard of for humans to have little hair on their bodies.  My girlfriend, who is of Taiwanese ancestry, only shaves her legs once every month and can do it less then five strokes.  She once went two or three months without shaving and I didn't notice until I was squinting at her legs and noticed a couple of pathetic hairs poking up.

If the ladies want to emote out their big hair legs, more power to them.  If they want to say they don't grow much in the hair, more power to them.  If they say they shave their legs for sanitary reasons, I can live with it.  Either way, I don't care that much and think it is pretty much up the discretion of the ladies.

I agree with Rindan. Hair is meant to keep the body warm, on Zalanthas, I doubt there is much need for that. So, I'm thinking there is, yes a minimal need for the extra hair, if it were there, though, it's probably very fine and far from bothersome. And yes, if it's something you want to emote out.. just do it when I'm not in the room.

I use to work at this hippy vegetarian restaurant in downtown Denver, we had a couple of... females.. who wouldn't shave their legs or armpits, but insisted on wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts.  :shock: I still have nightmares.. I can't imagine not doing all of that as daily grooming.
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

Quote from: "naatok"I think the notion of women in basically a stone-age culture would typically shave their legs is absurd.

Right, and on Zalanthas, men would do it at the same rate as women. Since it is a nonsexist society. No matter how many "miss" I hear and men being the "let's spoil women" kind of people, I know there will be an equal amount of women treating men like pansies.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "corona"
I agree with Rindan. Hair is meant to keep the body warm, on Zalanthas, I doubt there is much need for that. So, I'm thinking there is, yes a minimal need for the extra hair, if it were there, though, it's probably very fine and far from bothersome. And yes, if it's something you want to emote out.. just do it when I'm not in the room.

Hmm, maybe the consent rules need to be extended?   :P

I think the ethnic past of the people of the known world is sufficiently murky that you can have PCs with however much hair you want and do it without mutations.

-- We don't know what the climate was like in the recent past.  There are indications that there was much more surface water at some time in the past, but there aren't any geologists to tell us if that was a few hundred years ago, a couple thousand years ago, or tens of thousands of years ago.  The desertification could predate the coming of the dragon, it could even predate the area being inhabited by humanoids.  If the known world has been a desert for the last 100,000 years than the natives of the area are probably genetically adapted to desert conditions.  If the known world has only been a desert of a couple thousand years or less, then the humanoids living there are probably culturally adapted to the climate, but for the most part still genetically adapted to whatever environment their ancestors inhabited.  The known world could have been a sweaty jungle, a temperate middle-earthlike region, or even a chilly near-arctic forest.  The fact that the wildlife isn't very diverse could indicate that the climate change was sudden and catastrophic, with only a few animals able to adapt or warped by magic to do so.  (For all we know Tektolnes could have created the giant insects that inhabit the south-lands, specifically to provide a game animal that could survive there).  Without knowing what the Known World was like in ancient times we can't say what physical characteristics would be likely.

-- We don't know where the ancestors of the current inhabitants of the known world were from.  We assume that they are the descendants of people who lived in the known world thousands of years ago, but we don't actually know that for certain.  The Known World is probably a tiny part of the planet, right now it is believed to be cut off on all sides but in the past there may have been roads and trade routes crossing out of the known world.  When the Dragon went on a tear he might have made nearby places even less inviting than the Known World, there could have been refugees coming in from all sides.  Diverse cultures and ethnic groups could have been thrown together and reduced to tribalism.  That would be handy, because it lets PCs look however they want.  People from hot arid environments would have had a small advantage, but there is no reason that big blond Vikings and hairless jungle men couldn't have survived as well -- the whole point of being a sapient species is that you can create tools to help you adapt to changing environments.

I say go nuts.  Be a cave man, be a baby-faced hairless wonder, whatever.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins