More realistic equipment system?

Started by RunningMountain, September 10, 2005, 09:22:44 AM

Well  I believe that this is a great Idea, Before this thread came up I idea-ed for hauberks to keep the sun off your armor. And being someone who actually owns and cares for a variety of armor and weapons. I think that layering should be included.

The weapon coding would have to be taken into account as well for layering armor. Because certain types of physical Damage do different things to different materials.

A  TEMPLAR in full wargear for combat would probally wear this...

A silk gambosen (or however you spell it)

Leathers including a cuirass,greaves,Cuisses,pauldrons,vanbraces,Hauberk or breech-gaurd and a gorget...probably cuir bouilli in its construction.

Bone, Obsidian, Shell, or wooden layer comprising of a coat of plates or breastplate. Another set of pauldrons, greaves, Cuisses, pauldrons, vanbraces, and Hauberk.

A helmet(with a closing face) made of Bone, Obsidian, Shell, or wood  or other tough ass material with leather or bone plaited skirt from it cover in the neck.

a sandcloth Aba or cape/robe with a hood

and a pair of comfortable, yet stylish boots

This armor set up would straight up be supierior to go ass crack wearing just a set of leathers, it offers optimal protection from all forms of common physical damage.

A bludgeoning weapon might break/shatter the layer under the sandcloth, but the wearer would probaly survive as the layer beneath it would cushion the impact.

A slashing weapon may cut the other layer and damage the hard layer, but would probably not cause death.

a piercing weapon...AHH my favorite...A spear would be best used against an advesary so heavily armored. a piercing weapons offer alot of mechanical advantage for force.

and lastly chopping, hmm a hard call...I'll throw that one to the audience.

Arrows...M'kay even if they go through the armor, they won't go through the silks, allowing said templar to pull the arrow out with minimum damage to himself and keep fighting

All of this does take into account that it is a desert world, layers to keep sun off the armor, vents under the armpits and crotch (why I suggest a hauberk, more comfortable to wear AND better protection) and also silk because it like to wick more than hold moisture and is lighter and supieror to all other cloths in Zalanthas for undergarments.

even if you disagree with layering armor. Layering clothing is realistic to the extreme. I mean look at the Bedouin clothing....usually 5 layers of cloth... In 4-5 seperate garmets

underlayer,An over tunic, flowy desert robe, cloak, long shawl.not to mention headgear with flowy pieces

wow...this is a huge post....If you read this all, damn...I can't be THAT entertaining.

Eh.. some of the ideas are interesting, but are not that big a deal to me. For one thing this is not a temperate climate Wearing tons of stuff in a climate such as this is kinda dumb.  

I would like to see more realism in the placement of things, approriate covering of tattoos and such.  I would also like to see some logic in how things are put on and removed. Like removing your boots before your pants..

All in all though, I don't have a big problem with the wearing code, some of this just seems to be a way to hoarding and collecting more l33t gear. Eh.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

If I could make any (relativly simply) change to the wear code, it would be to let me put more the one tattoo on a single location.  It is always sad when your long lived bad ass mercenary not only runs out of places to put tattoos where everyone can see them, but also runs out of places where people can't see them.

With Tuluk being big into a skin art as it is, it wouldn't hurt to be able to slap a few more visible tats on.  That way, even if the Tuluki are not bad ass, they can at least feel it... right up until the point when Allanak stomps them.

Heh, I think a lot of people who want layered armor are overlooking the fact that most PCs are just barely strong enough to wear a (really protective) piece of armor on each location, in addition to the multiple weapons and other gear that are a necessity.

In other words, yeah, it would be neat to have a squire help you dress in your leather under-armor and silt-horror shell breastplate...but you'd have to have your half-giant carry you into battle.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

So what's the main purpose of having layered armors? Since we are probably not going to be able to see what's underneath, it's probably less important for certain kinds of interaction.

It seems to me the main idea is to simply wear more armour for more protection. It is realistic though.

And the idea of layered/extra wearing locations is an idea that warms me heart. A hero wearing some armour plates playing dumbo soldier, could easily sneak out of them, still wearing his superhero skinsuit... Superman!
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

Quote from: "SewerRat_inTheOpen"So what's the main purpose of having layered armors?

Mud-sex stripteases, duh!

You would finally know for certain the answer if someone asked if your character was wearing underwear.   Is it twinkish to assume your character has virtual underwear?  Who knows!  With layered equipment you could wear an actual loincloth under your clothes and avoid the uncertainty.

When you pass out and someone steals your pants, the thieves would have the choice to leave you with your 2 'sid groinwrap, or they could steal that too!

The possibilities are endless.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Mud-sex stripteases, duh!

You would finally know for certain the answer if someone asked if you character was wearing underwear.   Is it twinkish to assume your character has virtual underwear?  Who knows!  With layered equipment you could wear an actual loincloth under your clothes and avoid the uncertainty.

When you pass out and someone steals your pants, the thieves would have the choice to leave you with your 2 'sid groinwrap, or they could steal that too!

The possibilities are endless.

Angela Christine

There is this kind of interaction too.

I feel more inclined to support this idea now. I never bother to wear underwear though.. since wearing it means I can't wear my pants....
Igwise.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

mind + gutter = angela christine + mudsex
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I would like to see more face locations like Right eye, Left eye, Nose and Mouth would be neat.

Separate gloves and boots, but again.. This would be an item writing horror. Every pair of anything in the game would need to be separated. Not so easy.

Everything else I am fine with as is. For neck you already have neck and throat. How many helmets do you need really? And do you really need a leather vest and then a cuirass over it. The cuirass most likely already comes with some kind of padding. As for things on your back. Can you rationalize having a spear, a bow and shield all fit comfortably on your back along with a backpack? Two things on your back is enough.

What would be cool is if you could sheath your spear into your shield then ep your shield and sheath it on your back. This way you could have three, but they would at least be layered with some sense.

I never use all my wear locations. It's a hot climate and I can never really understand why people think it's good to be bogged down with gear. I'd think it makes the most sense to find the most protective, lightest one piece items.

Do I really need:
one thing on my head
one on my face
one in my hair
one on my neck
one on my throat
ten rings
one on each wrist
one on each shoulder
one on my arms
one on my forearms
One on my hands
two on my back
one on my torso
One around my body
one on my waist
one as my belt
Things in my belt
three hung from my belt
one on my legs
two on my ankles
One in my boots
One on my feet
And I think I may have missed a couple locations.

Really? You want more?

It would take a full page scroll just to get though all my stuff. And mudsex.. forget about mudsex...
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I love this idea.

Weight ratios for leathers and cuirasses might have to be tweaked, though, because anyone wearing dual sets of armor would likely be to heavy to move, much less engage in combat and be effective. Defense is extremely important, but it can only provide so much before the negatives code-wise begin to stack against you, I think.

It would be cool to add a nose face location as sarahjc noted, so one could be able to wear a facewrap and sunslits at the same time.  8)  

Also, heavy storms could be deadly, taking out HP for the chars. walking them without the face / eyes / body protection. Maybe even the less protection from the sun, the more stamina / HP you loose per tick. That way leaving one naked in the desert would mean certain death.

more wear locations would be great...

QuoteHeh, I think a lot of people who want layered armor are overlooking the fact that most PCs are just barely strong enough to wear a (really protective) piece of armor on each location, in addition to the multiple weapons and other gear that are a necessity.

In other words, yeah, it would be neat to have a squire help you dress in your leather under-armor and silt-horror shell breastplate...but you'd have to have your half-giant carry you into battle.

negative.

1.Zalanthans are hardly people on par or stronger than your average american citizen.

2.Iif your armor is made correctly moving is not a problem as the weight is evenly distributed, you can even do jumping jacks or even swim (sounds ludicrus but it was done)

3.Average weight of full 15th centurt armor 55-65 pounds plus another 15 for knife,sword,spear (or great-sword)

4.Average weight of your fighting man's gear without rucksack 63 pounds
(with rucksack it floats, depending on the loadout based on position 96-142lbs average)

5. no material that Zalanthan's typically make armor out of is as dense as steel or iron

Weapons and tools change, useable weight by man does not.
M-16A2 weighs 9.8 pounds
William wallace's claymore weighed 10

Funny huh?

And as far as being carried into battle by a half-giant....Mounts.

even though it would be funny to see a templar riding around on a HG.

Lohan:  I'd love to see citations for your numbers, and especially the assertion that an earth human could swim in a full suit of metal armor.

-- X

I'm with sarahjc on the wear locations for the face. Especially with tattoos. It would give things a sort of nice, more exacting appearance. Where on the face? Also though, I like seeing tattoos that target a specific part of the body in their sdesc.

In any event, it seems like it could be incredibly tedius to go through all the already created items that are ingame and extend their use to new wear locations. If it were just tattoos, then maybe it would just be a change to the original code, leave the objects alone and work again with tattoo code?

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?