yes
3 (8.3%)
no
32 (88.9%)
i will
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: September 04, 2005, 06:20:14 PM

My good friend just told me that he was attacked by some OOC player for no reason and he is dieing. But he told me on AIM. Now I am faced with a choice......Save my friend, or let him die. I am not sure what to do. But it would be different if someone else were to help him. Will anyone else help him?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

No. He should wish up and tell the imms the situation.
Then email the mud about it. Then wait.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Your CHARACTER doesn't know that his CHARACTER needs help. If your friend's character was attacked without any IC reason, then it's up to your friend to alert the staff via e-mail. If you are uncomfortable knowing OOCly that a RL friend's character needs help, and have a hard time choosing what to do, I would recommend you ask your friend not to tell you these things anymore.

Using information learned out of the game to benefit a character in the game is considered cheating.

if you could would you say why?

How would your character know that their and/or your friend is dying?  Acting OOCly is always a bad idea, because remember, it's a roleplaying game, and you can't follow what your character doesn't know.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

Even if the original cause of the problem was cheating and/or ooc.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

do you think the staff would do anything about it?

Probably not, as that character could well have an IC reason which neither you nor your friend knows about.

That's up to the staff, and you won't be informed what happens, you aren't a factor in this situation. It's between the player who feels his character was victimized, the player whose character attacked your friend's PC, and the staff.

Often times, someone will THINK their character was attacked for "no reason" and assume it was an OOC situation. Often times, someone will be very - very wrong.

From the overview ( http://www.armageddon.org/intro/overview.html )

# Three, sometimes people are nasty. There are no rules against being mean to others that you meet, be it cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise making a fool out of them as long as the meanness is in-character (IC).
# Four, complaints of unfairness on the part of other players will not be given an audience. If you think another character was mean to you, you're most likely right.

Tell your friend to save a log.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Not to be too glib, but two OOCs don't make an IC.

Your friend should document the situation and email mud@armageddon.org .
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

It probably wasn't an OOC attack. I could attack you because I like your boots, or I don't like the looks of your hair. Yeah, it's bastardish, but it's my character, and he's taking the risk.

I'm going to have to throw in with the majority here. It sucks if someone saw your friend struggling with commands and thought "Oh, a newbie, he'll be an easy target.", but that's for the staff to deal with.
That possibility aside, it might not have been an OOC attack. Some people just kill other people that they've never met. Etc, etc... Most of what I have to say has been covered.

For your friend, I'm sorry he's losing a character he has invested time and thought into, but don't let that be a discouragement. Write up that next character and get to work on getting into him/her, rather than brooding over what happened to the last.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Wait... so... your friend just told you over AIM that his character is dieing?  Regardless of the circumstances, that is very much against the rules of the game.  If you act on this information and went out to save your friend then you will be breaking the rules too.  If I were you, I'd do my best to ignore what you heard.  If I felt I couldn't, I'd just log off.

I call bull shit.  If your friend was dying to a truly OOC reason, he would wish up and the imms would correct the situtation.  Hell, it has happened to me before and they were more then understanding each and every time.  EVERYTHING in the game is recorded.  If there was OOC abuse, tell the imms and give the time that it happened.  It is real easy for them them to then go back and see exactly what happened.

If you go ahead and act on such information gained from AIM you can be banned, pure and simple.  I would strongly advise against it.  If there truly is an OOC problem, contact the staff, that is what they are there for.  If you take matters into your own hands, you will be banned.

Quote from: "Rindan"I call bull shit.  If your friend was dying to a truly OOC reason, he would wish up and the imms would correct the situtation.  Hell, it has happened to me before and they were more then understanding each and every time.  EVERYTHING in the game is recorded.  If there was OOC abuse, tell the imms and give the time that it happened.  It is real easy for them them to then go back and see exactly what happened.

If you go ahead and act on such information gained from AIM you can be banned, pure and simple.  I would strongly advise against it.  If there truly is an OOC problem, contact the staff, that is what they are there for.  If you take matters into your own hands, you will be banned.

One of the minor flaws about the perma-death system is that if you are attacked in an OOC fashion or by someone that isn't supposed to just haul off and kill people without a good reason (and yes there are some).. it will all be over long before the IMMs can look at the situation and assess it... and once your dead... Oops.. sorry...can't help you...all they can do is punish the offenders.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Quote from: "HardCarbon"
Quote from: "Rindan"I call bull shit.  If your friend was dying to a truly OOC reason, he would wish up and the imms would correct the situtation.  Hell, it has happened to me before and they were more then understanding each and every time.  EVERYTHING in the game is recorded.  If there was OOC abuse, tell the imms and give the time that it happened.  It is real easy for them them to then go back and see exactly what happened.

One of the minor flaws about the perma-death system is that if you are attacked in an OOC fashion or by someone that isn't supposed to just haul off and kill people without a good reason (and yes there are some).. it will all be over long before the IMMs can look at the situation and assess it... and once your dead... Oops.. sorry...can't help you...all they can do is punish the offenders.

Actually, no it's the flaw of a policy that doesn't differentiate between IC and OOC killing well enough.  If someone can be punished for an improper action, if the situation is OOC enough, the person afflicted shouldn't be.  If the death was sufficiently OOC that it should never have been contemplated, much less carried out, then the deceased should be ressurected as if it didn't happen because there was no justifiable reason for it to have happened.

Take care,

Jason
o longer playing and password scrambled so IMs won't reach me.  Sorry.

Quote from: "flurry"Not to be too glib, but two OOCs don't make an IC.

Yeah. That'd make an OOOOCC, which MUST be bad.

Quote from: "richter"Actually, no it's the flaw of a policy that doesn't differentiate between IC and OOC killing well enough.  If someone can be punished for an improper action, if the situation is OOC enough, the person afflicted shouldn't be.  If the death was sufficiently OOC that it should never have been contemplated, much less carried out, then the deceased should be ressurected as if it didn't happen because there was no justifiable reason for it to have happened.
I don't think essentially having to hold a tribunal over every PC death would be a very good thing for the game and that is what offering resurrections for 'OOC actions on the attackers part' would lead to.  Maybe not every death would get complained about but certainly a large amount.  Also it's impossible to figure out when someone is doing something out of an OOC motivation because so far mind reading is the realm of science fiction.