Water shortage

Started by My 2 sids, August 28, 2005, 06:36:22 PM

I really think people are missing the point about the planet's water shortage.  Sure, it is desert like... but remember deserts aren't totally arid... for instance in the real world it rains and in game there is an "abundance" of underground water.  

I think the point people (at least players) need to understand is that the water distribution is tied more with politics than weather.  There seems to be enough water to sustain non-humanoid life abundantly.  The idea that humanoids have used the same water sources throughout history (the cities are quite old and even the nomadic people tend to follow the same paths) would suggest an abundance of water coming from somewhere.

Humanoid characters cry, sweat, salivate, and yes expel bodily fluids of every sort. All this consumes water... but it doesn't mean we have to dwell on the subjects.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Something that occured to me is that their doesn't seem to be enough water to sustain human civilization as I know it.  Cities need farms, and farms need irrigation in the sort of environment that encompasses Zalanthas.  I haven't seen any sort of serious farming development and no irrigation ditches.

It all seems a bit of a stretch to me.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Dalmeth"Something that occured to me is that their doesn't seem to be enough water to sustain human civilization as I know it.  Cities need farms, and farms need irrigation in the sort of environment that encompasses Zalanthas. I haven't seen any sort of serious farming development and no irrigation ditches.

There are at least four farming villages located outside of Allanak. Helpfiles will also point out that much of Allanak's grain comes from the mysterious Sand Lord that rules Red Storm Village. That counts as serious farming.

Quote from: "Kankman"
Quote from: "Dalmeth"Something that occured to me is that their doesn't seem to be enough water to sustain human civilization as I know it.  Cities need farms, and farms need irrigation in the sort of environment that encompasses Zalanthas. I haven't seen any sort of serious farming development and no irrigation ditches.

There are at least four farming villages located outside of Allanak. Helpfiles will also point out that much of Allanak's grain comes from the mysterious Sand Lord that rules Red Storm Village. That counts as serious farming.

If you read room descriptions there also are tons of fields around allanak... no additional water, as far as I know, but ploughed ground and all that stuff... With plants that work that way, why not?
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Yeah, my first character's up in Tuluk, so I've seen none of this so far.  Not to mention that I completely forgot about Red Storm.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

The three bastardy magickers ruling the cities meet up once a year to replenish the underground water. Then they go back to being enemies. Politics.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

They also meet to work on their diabolical laughs.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.